main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Sabathia is definitely a strong candidate, and one I unforgivably overlooked. Still, while his numbers are very comparable to Beckett's, but I think I'll stand by my original pick. Sabathia hasn't played so much better than Beckett (and whether or not he has at all is debatable) that we can ignore the fact that Beckett is the ace on the game's best team. I normally dislike that style of thinking, but as there are numerous pitchers with comparable seasons, it works, I think.

Here's my ROY thoughts:

AL ROY
    Might have to stick with Boston for this one, as both Daisuke Matsuzaka and Dustin pedroia have had good seasons. Matsuzaka has good numbers in numerous pitching categories and done it all with a magnifying glass slightly bigger than the moon pointed right at him. Pedroia is quietly hitting better than .325, best among ML rookies. He also has good numbers in other categories, like OBP, doubles, walks, and strikouts. He's also a good defensive player on a good team. Alex Gordon, a pre-season favorite, has been improving, but not enough to win the award. Reggie Willits and Delmon Young have played well, but not well enough to beat out Pedroia or Dice-K. But who will it be, the international import or the little guy at second base? Not an easy choice at all.
    The Pick: Dustin Pedroia, 2B, BOS

NL ROY
    The Rockies' Troy Tulowitski and Arizona's Chris B. Young are the only good candidates I can find. Tulowitski has a much better OBP and BA than Young, more RBI, and a comparable home run total. Tulowitski admittedly plays at Coors Field, but I'm still inclined to give him the nod.
    The Pick: Troy Tulowitski, SS, COL

Any other thoughts on the matter?

2. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    he's only played in 70 games since being called up, but the leading candidate for nl roy has to be the brewers' ryan braun.

3. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Yeah, I could see that. I could definitely see that. He hasn't had enough at-bats to qualify for the batting title, and the search engine I was using had that requirement. Looking at him now, I see he's got 22 homers, a great average, and he plays for a good team. I think Tulowitski might have to step aside.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Hunter Pence would've easily been the ROY of he didn't get injured.

5. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    it would have been a closer race for sure, but braun's numbers already far surpass pence's in fewer games.

6. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    holy crap, I knew Braun was a good power hitter but I just looked at his stats... didn't even realize the dude's batting .348... that's amazing.

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    It would be nice if the Giants didn't suck.

8. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    If he had played the whole year and gone at a similar pace, he'd be the NL MVP, hands down. He doesn't walk enough and he strikes out too much, so it'll be interesting to see if he can improve in those areas. If he does, we could be looking at greatness.

9. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    I know for a fact that ROY doesn't take into account team record as much as MVP, so take a look at SF's Tim Lincecum. He didn't debut until May, but since his first start, he's lead the entire NL in strikeouts. Currently he's 6-3, 3.88 ERA, with 121 strikeouts. Considering this is his first full year in professional baseball, Lincecum is certainly impressive.

10. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I need to remember to widen my search parameters next time. I still think I'd go with the Brewers' Ryan Braun, but I did see a game with Linceum on the mound and I was very impressed, especially with his breaking ball.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    [image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/191273409_404dc69927_b.jpg]
    @};- RIP

Phil Rizzuto is now dead. :(

I was just explaining to my girlfriend last night about why the Staten Island Yankees have a cow mascot named Scooter.

12. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    He was a good player and a great broadcaster. He'll be missed, even if he was a Yankee.

13. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Can anyone with ESPN insider help me out here.

There's this article on Brandon Webb of the AZ DBacks... and I want to read, but don't have that insider crap... if anyone has it and can PM me the article, that would be awesome.

Sidescroll is bad, mmmkay

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    All it says beyond the free preview is that Webb has a long way to go and Orel is enjoying watching him on his roll because he knows what a thrill it is. According to Hershiser even 2-3 starts away feels like an eternity to setting the record.

15. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    That Insider crap pisses me off so much. I just want to read a freaking article!

16. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    yeah I know, it's the dumbest thing in the world...

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't mind it ... it's not a bad price when you factor in the mag subscription, too. I've had Insider for about three-and-a-half years now.

BTW, the Indians haven't had a multi-run first inning since the All-Star Break. I have no idea how we're still in first place.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I finally got ESPNinsider early last winter... definitely worth it, even though I don't care all that much for ESPN the Mag.

19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    I hate all "insider" sites. I really do. Not just espn, but rivals.com (colleges), and those other such places.

Oh, and I hate the giants right now, too. They can't get it together. At all. But, the addition of Rajai Davis has been pleasant. He's a gutsy player, going for everything in the outfield with 130%, and getting himself around the bases, seeing as his teammates never help him.

20. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I was very disappointed when I found that my all-time favorite sports site, baseball-reference.com, has some content only available by paid subscription. Not too much is locked, but it's still annoying. Either that or I'm cheap.;)

Sox are still 5 games up on the Yanks. 42 games to go. I feel great. [face_worried] Yep, absolutely great.

21. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    Did anyone see this on Yahoo?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=txbondsschilling&prov=st&type=lgns

I dont have any comment.

22. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Good, it's about time. If I was Bonds, I would've been suing all these asses earlier.

23. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    Watch as Bonds's lawyers show up at court with 50 lbs more muscle than their last trial. :p

24. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    What a ____. What was wrong about those comments? There's no way that Bonds wins if they sue.

25. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Another solid game for Tim Lincecum tonight. He gave up three runs in five innings, but he struck out four, and he was still impressive. I like this kid.