main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So the Yankees may have lost the battle tonight but they've overall won the war; THEY TOOK THE SEASON SERIES AGAINST THE BALTIMORE ORIOLES 11-8

[​IMG]

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Orioles gamed that win with a bunt to absue the god awful extra innings rules introduced to reduce gametime last year at the height of the pandemic. It was pouring rain. Man on second at the start of the inning, pouring rain, you do the logic.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Sooooo they tried to win and won? Don't see the issue here.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Yankees had a runner on second, too. Maybe they should have got him over and got him in, too.

Rew, Chromide and Point Given like this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The Yankees don't have the clutch hitters that the Orioles have; that's why they lost 8 of 19 games against them this year.

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    11-8 is a .579 winning percentage. The Yankees winning percentage is .558, and their run differential is worse than that. So. Sounds about right.

Amazing.

DarthIntegral and Chromide like this.
  7. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    11-8 against one of the worst teams in baseball isn't that great...

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If the Yankees miss the playoffs (and yes that INCLUDES the Wild Card game), they only have themselves to blame over how they played against Baltimore. I'm not asking them to have been 18-1 like Tampa Bay was, but losing 8 games to a team on the verge of losing over 100 games is not acceptable; especially if you want to think about being a playoff contender. And by the way, the Yankees could've easily lost two of these last three games against the Orioles; on Tuesday night's game, MENSA alum Gleyber Torres decided on his own to run on a pop fly to short left field with one out in the top of the ninth (when the Yankees were still down by a run). If any one of the four Orioles in the vicinity caught the ball, they could've doubled Torres up to end the game.

Chromide and heels1785 like this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ahsoka's Tano I should share that last bit with Cubs fans I know that are still married they traded Torres to the Yankees in order to get Chapman back in 2016. Or I can show them that he has really regressed past two seasons but they often do not want to hear that!

And I must honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed the "30 for 30" about the 86' Mets even though I am obviously not a Mets fan. Then again I kind of like the 86' Mets even though my mom told me not to since they were the Mets and the Mets were the cause of all evil in the universe ever since 1969.. Even at 8 years old I guess I had a bit of a rebellious streak in me. :)

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I have the newest "30 for 30" series on DVR. I'll watch it sometime soon.

Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The Yankees are a fundamentally flawed team, like all of the wild card contenders in both leagues (except the Dodgers). Their play against the Orioles isn't some anomaly for them, it's indicative of their various issues.

Amazing.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Sure; but it's strange because if you ask the New York media, they only have flattering things to say about Brian Cashman's moves in building this team. It's always so much easier just to throw the current manager under the bus. You mention LA. Yes, they are a WC contender if they're not a Division contender. Last I checked, and you may correct me if I'm wrong, they're the ONLY team in the Majors with a higher payroll than the Yankees. The Yankees have won a lot of games over the last several years, but one thing is fairly certain in that they'd always take advantage of the bad teams. The Dodgers have the Diamondbacks as their Orioles' equivalent. How have they fared? Have they lost more than three games to them?

Maybe the Yankees just need to add more money to their payroll to make the players happier.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i wondered if anyone else watched that 30 for 30. nice to reflect back on pitchers completing games, or the case of game 5 nlcs Dr. K ( going old school) went 10.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm just wondering if Straw and Gooden are still on speaking terms. I'd always remembered over the past couple decades one of them went missing, and I think the other one went missing. Hopefully for their sake that they're both sober.

15. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    they did a 30 for 30 on them a few years ago. Doc had a cocaine arrest as recently as two years ago. I don't remember how that ended. Strawberry seems like he's been cleaner longer. Strange. it seemed like after Gooden's rehad stint in 1987 he stayed clean for the next several years. just can't seem to get away from it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I saw that 30 for 30 as well. I assume the new series on the '86 Mets team will focus on the off-the-field antics as much as what happened in front of the TV cameras.

17. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    Dodgers are 14-2 against the D'backs and 11-5 against Colorado.

also two weeks to play and Dodgers are back within 1 game of the Giants. surely that Giants collapse is finally coming

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Only one way to sum up this Giants season:

[​IMG].

JEDI-RISING and Juliet316 like this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    so glad someone uploaded this @DarthTunick one of the greatest videos of all time. so glad the giants had rally for 2nd place so Matt Williams could clown himself. Surprised he didn't have a stroke [face_laugh]

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Started watching the first two episodes of the Mets' 1986 30 for 30 series on ESPN. It's pretty good so far. I like how there's a subliminal warning at the beginning for mature language. They might as well have just said that Lenny Dykstra has been interviewed for this documentary; and that would pretty much cover all of their bases. He's the same ass that you'd expect him to be, but his bits are kind of funny.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    If you've ever heard Dykstra on Howard Stern, funny would be an understatement. :)

22. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    Machado and Tatis arguing in the dugout. looks like the underachievement is coming to a head

DarthTunick likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

That pristine early-to-mid 90's outfield wall at Chavez Ravine...

[​IMG].

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    also , Bonds looking normal sized and fly balls not going out of the park

i love Tommy owning it

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I just have to say that it's refreshing to know that while the Yankees may have had a terrible, forgettable game yesterday at The Stadium, they have their always reliable Ace Gerritt Cole to stop the bleeding and make things right.

Chromide likes this.