main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    It's a bummer those trade rumors about A-Rod going to the White Sox was false. I would have liked to see him play here. Not that we don't need any more power, I just think he'd help us.

2. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Hey, the White Sox will have their chance when he hits the open market, though the Angels would have to be considered the favorites.

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I thought he was a free agent this year? Chicago papers hinted at some rumors that our GM was going to take a shot at him. When is he going to be a free agent next?

4. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    He'll opt out of his contract after this season. The suddenly fiscally responsible Yankees will probably balk at his contract extension demands.

5. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    lol @ Tony LaRussa

The above-legal-limit alcohol level is one thing, but being found asleep?

6. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    You do know that alcohol is a nervous system depressant and makes you tired, right?

7. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    My thoughts, better he fell asleep at a stop light than while driving.

8. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Sure, Einstein. But I'm used to the stock footage of the suspect stumbling out of the car in denial. At least La Russa could have put up a defense for us to see.

Aren't you posting in this thread with the wrong account?

While you're at it, can you tell me the effects of cream and clear substances?

9. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

lol @ LaRussa!

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's so nice to have baseball back ... I do love this game.

11. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    It's hard getting used to real baseball again, though there is something sacreligious about having the first game of the season be played at night. And I'd like if baseball went back to the old tradition of having the Reds (the game's oldest team) start the season.

12. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    And Bonds finishes the offseason with 7 homeruns playing only a handful of games (I think somewhere around 20). I'm feeling a whole lot better about that 16 million now.

Of course, the Giants lost to the A's yesterday, though nevertheless, I'm still happy about the Giants roster, about Bonds, and about the Giants' hopes of the playoffs.

13. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Too bad they're not checking Bonds for roids in the preseason. He's not fooling anybody.

In other news, I love the first week of the season! It's always great to have two starting pitchers with 28.96 ERA's facing off in a pitcher's duel!

HUZZAH!

14. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    The Tigers played a solid 9 innings of baseball, today. Too bad they lost in 10 innings and looked like they still weren't quite ready to go in the first inning. Couple of mental mistakes by Pudge, a botched play by Monroe and Bonderman not being exactly sharp in the first are what cost us today.

Sheffield had a decent first game, though, and Granderson's new hitting stance looks like it's going to pay dividends.

We had a pretty good day against a VERY solid pitcher in Roy Halladay, a guy who traditionally smokes us, so.. that' something.

15. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Ugh, Giants got crushed. 7-0 loss to the Padres. Bonds played really well today however, a .500 OBP, stole second base, went 1-3 with a single.

Zito pitched fairly well too, 3 runs in 5 innings, which isn't extremely impressive, though he performed well enough. Giants couldn't get anything going offensively.

16. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    One thing I can alwyays bank on is that the Phillies will lose the opening game. :p

17. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    My Rockies are 1-1, but shoudl be 2-0. Oh well.

They played well last night and won in the bottom of the 11th inning by utilizing their bottom of the order well.

Rookies Troy Tulowitzki and Chris Iannetta both came through in the clutch, combining for two hits and 2 RBI's with 2 outs in the bottom of the 11th.

They've got some talent this year...I just hoep they can keep it together.

18. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    And Bonds goes opposite way for HR #735 (in the second game of the season), putting the Giants up one run. Not only does it put a run on the board and jettison the Giants into the lead, this is going to give the dugout a great deal of morale. Cain seems to be doing extremely well, striking out two batters in a row to end the first half of the second inning.

EDIT: Bonds pulls off a shoestring catch Top 3 to end the inning, a great defensive play, then Roberts hits a triple to lead off (well, just about) the next half-inning. An authentic lead-off hitter for you right there, I'm really loving that pick-up. I'm hoping we can get something going here after this gained momentum.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Is it too early for a Grady for MVP watch?

20. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Man Phillies bullpen killed us tonight, Gordon given up the HR in the 9th and Madson blowing another game.

21. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    bonds is not on steriods!!!! he is on human growth hormone, it is undetectable, because your body produces it naturally, so it is near impossible to test for it... steroids= the honda of performance enhancing drugs while human growth hormone=the mercedes of performance enhancing drugs...

he also has so many knee problems from being on this stuff, and that is also why his head is so big(compare his head now wiht his head from when he was with the pirates) and it is also why he is an a$$hole... that stuff gives u roid rage even thouhg its not steroids...

thats just my take, for all i no i can be completely wrong and he may have just gotten freakishly huge wihtin a span of 5 years...

22. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Hey, settle down and lay off Bonds. He's a disciplined and hard-working baseball player, and a good one at that, and unless you have factual evidence that Bonds is taking steroids, I'm not sure we really need your opinions of him. Of course, I may merely be biased because he's playing so well thus far. Made a shoestring catch to end the Third (I think) last night, stole a base in his first game, made a few putouts in both games, and went yard for 735, his hussle out there is amazing.

On another note, Daisuke Matsuzaka got his first regular season start today. 10 strikeouts in 7 innings with only one run scored, and 8 hits. Papelbon closed it out (which I absolutely loved to see, loved Papelbon as our closer), and the Red Sox get the W for today's game.

23. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Hmmm, Yankees had their game postponed Wednesday due to poor weather conditions and only played on Thursday. Pettitte pitched and received an crowd standing ovation for his return. Although some mess ups caused them to lose 7-6 against the freakin' Devil Rays who they only one won against in that series thus far because of the postponed game, in which a make up wasn't announced.

Moving on, they play the Orioles with Mussina on the mound. And the injury bug is already supposedly putting Damon on the DL, which would suck. Here's hoping for a good game.

24. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    What a great game last night (Giants/Padres, is what I mean). Tonight, another close, good game so far. Saw one of the best double-play performed of all the games I had watched. Neat flip by Durham and an amaxing, leaping and off-balanced throw by Vizquel to get two. Speaking of Durham, the man's on fire, he's made a few amazing put-outs in the last three games, is doing well offensively too. Bonds is playing really well, and Roberts is proving to be a valuable acquisition as well.

25. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Geez, the Mets are setting a pretty high bar for themselves to adhere to for the rest of the season, as they've played four flawless games so far. I'd actually like to see the team face some adversity (like trail for the first time all year). :p