main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    [face_sick] Damn it. Bengie Molina definitely deserved a spot with his outstanding clutch hitting, but nobody cares about the giants, so of course he wasn't voted for much. A Bonds' gunning to Martin would not only be hilariously ridiculous but very nostalgic for the home fans, although he lead the team in assists last year. :p

2. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Just saw Bonds hit 751. I have a terrible feeling he's going to tie and break the record against my beloved CARDS this weekend. Hope not.

3. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    HAHAHAHAHA! In my dreams... He won't break it until after the break, hopefully at home (his only haven). But, on the other hand, if it scares you, good.

If he does, just think this: at least it's not as bad as losing the 2002 NLCS to the wild card team. :p

4. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    That was low, but how about the CARDS winning the WS with only 83 regular season wins and their closer on the DL list? :p

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Bravesblow a 6-3 lead, the sean is slipping away quickly [face_frustrated]

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    A player has been suspended 25 games for use of a stimulant.

7. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    [face_tired]

Wake me up when someone besides the 25th man on the roster or fringe minor leaguer is caught with anything.

At least this adds to the long list of Nefi Perez jokes.

8. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    My All Star Experience

Fanfest, 7/7
    -Decide to go in afternoon. I mean, it has to be less crowded then.

-There's nobody in line for entrance, but there's a humongous path that hasn't been changed since it began. The ticket booth is on the other side of the planet, so 20 minutes later we huff all the way back to the beginning, then work through the maze.

-Security takes my water bottle before saying our tickets were for the wrong day. There goes my chance to make an H20 bomb.

-We work our way back out of the maze, across the continent to the ticket booth and exchange tickets.

-The door of the convention finally opens, and my eyes fall upon the billion losers who've stuck around. So much for my plan.

-Biggest attraction is the autographs. Today was supposed to be Will Clark, Catfish Hunter, Rob Nen, etc. Cool, huh?

-No way. Instead of having individual stations so fans have a freaking chance, they set it up in one fat mosh pit. If you wait in line for a month, you might get someone like the popcorn guy. Great...

-That set the tone for the day: day-long lines for anything worth seeing. Forget about doing anything other than milling around. A wonderful 5 hours wasted of my life.

All Star Game, 7/10

-I'd forgotten about the fanfest by now. It's time for what was said to be the best sporting event in the bay area for years.

-When I get to at&t park at around 3 pm, the freaking red carpet thing was blocking the main entrance point. So I'm stuck waiting in a line on the opposite side of the park from my seats.

-Find myself in the center field bleachers. If I took out my binoculars, I might have been able to see home plate.

-Run around the globe to my lower box seats on the third base side, but not before emptying my wallet for a hat I promised my sister.

-See Ichiro hit more homeruns during batting practice than the NL combined.

-Two hours and 5 miles of boring later, the pregame crap finally starts. Ah, yes, the Taco Bell "Swing for a Million" thing. Well, that guy did swing for a million of something: laughs.

-Supposedly the most emotional part of the game: Willie Mays, the god of baseball, enters from center field. Standing and cheering with camera in hand, I crane my neck to see him.

-An hour later, I still don't see him. Crap, maybe the old man tripped.

-I got my best moment of the night booing the Angels and Dodgers' reps. during the intros. Oh, and snickering at Gil Meche and Carl Crawford was fun too. No sounds at all for either one.

-"Warming up in the bullpen, Dan Haren!" What kind of warming up was that?

-I heard more cheers for Barry Bonds that I thought. Yeah, it was San Francisco, and yeah, he's awesome, but it seems so many people hate him.

-First at bat of the game: Ichiro grounds a single. What else can he even do? The NL should put in a few more infielders, kind of the anti-shift.

-Did anyone see Prince Fielder drop that throw? Oh yeah, he's a real All Star.

-Barry pops out. Nobody watches for a couple of innings.

-I thought of Pete Rose when Griffey threw out a-rod. He probably barfed.

-Barry barely misses a home run. Crap. Little do we know that that was to be his last at bat in an all star game. Too bad.

-The big screen in center field constantly shows these "actober" world series skits. They ALL SUCK. I can think of wittier things. Almost as bad as the taco bell guy.

-Ichiro does his wimpy inside-the-park-home-run thing. Wonder why nobody else had done it before? Because it's lame. I don't pay a thousand dollars to see him run and call that a home run. But then again, he's Ichiro, so it's cool.

-Nobody cares after Bonds is pulled until the ninth inning.

-NL is down to their last out. People start leaving in droves. Then, a wimpy single, followed by two walks. Is the NL coming back???

-"Pujols!" cry the crowd as the bases are loaded. Where the hell is he? I was guessing taking a dump.

-Can someone tell me how batting JJ Hardy, Orlando Hudson, and Aaron Rowand is fit for what could be the

9. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    What a game Brewers tonight. I stuck around after work to check it out. I work in the ticket office. I was going leave in the sixth when Crew struck for three. So I decided to stick around until the end. Fielder's hr in the eighth then Hart robbing Taddaguci(sp) was the loudest Miller Park has ever been. Absoulutely insane tonight. Great victory!!!

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Barry Bonds has tied Hank Aaron's record.

11. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
  12. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Thrilled for A-Rod, not thrilled for Barry

13. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    A gem of a win for Glavine, and that wraps up this historic weekend.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep, quite a historic weekend - 300 win club, 500 homer club, and tie the home run record, in a span of 2 days. Add to that that A-Rod has at least a decent shot of eventually eclipsing Bonds on the HR list, and it thus becomes more significant that its A-Rod hitting 500, not just anyone.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if A-Rod breaks Bonds' record in 10 years or so.

16. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
  17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if A-Rod breaks Bonds' record in 10 years or so.

Might not even take quite that long. Either way, only time will tell.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The guy who caught Matsui's 100th HR also caught Melkie's later in the game. :p

I'm so glad Glavine finally got his 300th.
    If I had to see Glavine's wife on the TV one more game I would have been pissed.

19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    Congrats to A-Rod, Glavine, and, of course, Barry.

HR#756 will be hit tomorrow, I can guarantee. Well, I can almost assure you. Eh, I just hope so...

It would be a nice addition to the milestone HRs that I've seen in person ( #s 500, 73 in 2001, 660, 715).

20. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Cynthia Rodriguez is way, way worse. Thankfully, she'll be infesting Chicago or LA next year.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Congratulations to Barry Bonds! He hit number 756 tonight.

22. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    Well I'll be darned: I was was RIGHT!!! What makes it better is that it's my birthday Wednesday, so going to the game tonight was just perfect. It will definitely be the most memorable sports moment I have ever witnessed. Congrats Barry! :D

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    or LA next year.

You mean Anaheim. There's not a chance in hell that McCourt will be able to afford to bring A-Rod to the Dodgers.

24. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm a huge Bonds hater. I think I've made that pretty clear through the years. I think he's a cheat, and a liar, and a jerk, and plenty of other things that are not TOS-friendly.

However, having said all that, the homer last night was magical. But not nearly as magical as Bonds reaction. You could see joy, passion, and love in him as he rounded the bases. And it moved me. And it made me think that if only the guy had been this passionate and this joyful all along, maybe more of the fans would embrace him.