main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Like I can kinda see Abreu at #1... but how the hell was DJ not #2?

heels1785 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i found it more objectionable that I referred to a player as "joram" in my post. perhaps I was thinking of the mediocre starfighter draft pilot jhoram bey as there’s a drive into deep left field by Castellanos it will be a home run. And so that’ll make it a 4-0 ballgame. I don’t know if I’m gonna be putting on these mod colours again. Whether it be for the Reds or my bosses

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Because Jose Ramirez had a superior season any way you measure it. Higher WAR. Higher counting stats. More successful (regular season) team. More crucial to the success of his team. Better hair. Etc etc etc.

I haven't been this upset about an AL MVP vote since 1995.

DarthTunick and tom like this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Only if you use Fangraphs? He's WAY behind on B-R, which I guess is why I was confused... 2.8 WAR to 2.2...

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    would have been the first AL switch hitter to win mvp since..vida blue.

i wanted it for j-ram, too.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    in that case, vote Bieber?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You know my feeling on pitchers-as-MVP (they're players, of course they're eligible!) but that ship has sailed with the voters it appears...

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    kershaw won it relatively recently.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, but one should have won it this year and didn't so *** shrug ***

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the years when a pitcher does win rarely make sense.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think the biggest thing that held LeMahieu back was missed time. He only started 47 games. Ramirez started 58 and I think I heard Abreu played all but 1 inning this year.

Amazing.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    when i saw Dale Murphy i knew which way it was going

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I’m very happy for her; was an assistant GM for the Dodgers in the early Aught’s.

Who knew the Marlins could make sound, reasonable baseball decisions?!

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Does she get a welcome basket from Jeter?

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    She was also the AGM for the Yankees in the late 90s and says she was a Yankees fan growing up in Jersey

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Flying Dreams: Women Airforce Pilots of WWII (2015)
    I'd just finished reading the historical novel, Flight Girls, which is a fictional story about a young woman in the early years of WWII who was in Hawaii when it was bombed by the Japanese while training young men and within a couple of years was flying among other women throughout the States ferrying planes, shuttling Air Force recruits to both sides of the country to be sent overseas, and carrying targets for ground-to-air weapons training. This 50-minute documentary gives the remarkable true story of these women who for nearly four decades had been forgotten about until the late 70s when Jimmy Carter signed a bill to grant them Veteran status.

You can watch the documentary here:

Meanwhile, I'm just wondering why (as far as I know) Hollywood hasn't made a feature film about them. Yeah, we all loved A League of Their Own giving the story of women's baseball during the war; but any way you look at it, the WASP story is far more intriguing and important to the history of the country.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001

Gonna go ahead and say the Indians won this trade.

Amazing.

Juliet316, Luke02, dp4m and 1 other person like this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Who's on your Hall of Fame Ballot this year? I got eight

Curt Schilling
    Roger Clemens
    Barry Bonds
    Sammy Sosa
    Billy Wagner
    Bobby Abreu
    Omar Vizquel
    Manny Ramírez

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

I think Manny's borderline if only because he was so terribly defensively, but would probably have him on. And I think there's a fine case to be made for Vizquel (like 8th or 9th best career defensive WAR all time!). Sosa wouldn't likely make it except for I do think 600 HR is definitely still a magic number.

I'd exclude Schilling, if only because he and Pettitte were pretty similar for the career and Pettitte's not worthy, but he probably should be included. Definitely yes on Clemens, Bonds, Wagner. I think Scott Rolen (combo offense/defense) is also borderline, lean towards yes. Sheffield is a no from me, dog. Jones, Kent, and Helton are all nos.

Luke02 likes this.
  23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Schilling
    Bonds
    Clemens
    Wagner
    Vizquel
    Manny

I'm alright with roids users making the Hall if I feel they would have made it without it. Not just because of my Baseball Draft schtick but because of people who are in the Hall like Cap Anson and Kennesaw Mountain Landis who banned black players from playing, which is much much much worse than steroids.

I think Bonds, Clemens and probably Manny make that cut unlike say Sosa or McGwire. Maybe Palmiero too, dude did have 3,000 hits.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd have said Palmiero was a yes if he were still on the ballot. But I do sort of think the HR counting stats are there as well -- Sosa got 600, McGwire didn't...

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Clemens, Bonds, Vizquel, Sheffield, Helton, and Manny.

**** curt schilling with a rusty knife. instead of him, i nominate pete rose.

Juliet316 likes this.