main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Braves (and the Blackhawks) will change at some point in time. It's a question of when, not if, and it'll likely come as it did for Washington - via corporate sponsorship pressures.

And learn your team history! Prior to relocation, this franchise was known as the Doves, Bees, Rustlers, Beaneaters, and Red Stockings. The Atlanta Bees? Why not. let's all go with entomological nicknames

LloydChristmas and heels1785 like this.
  2. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Bees? Nah. But again we've not been that for over 90 years. And none of those names seem likely for us now

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I don't see the Blackhawks and Seminoles changing their name anytime soon. They are named after a specific tribe, not a nickname. Perhaps the Blackhawks will get rid of the logo and change it to their current alternate logo but even that might not happen. They have a long history with the Blackhawk tribe as it's actually a really good partnership between them and the team. The Braves and Chiefs could change their name soon but I be surprised honestly. As for the Indians, I am hoping for the Spiders or Fellers.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Leave it to current Cleveland ownership to arrive at the conclusion "the name is wrong and must be changed ... but kept on for the upcoming season"

LloydChristmas likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Come on guys let us have our controversial name a bit longer.

As far as the Blackhawks and Seminals go so long as they have the express backing of the tribe to use the name and continue to get that backing I think the names are fine.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Also the Blackhawks can just change their logo to a helicopter and keep the name.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The owner of the Washington football team said he would never never never change the team name. The moment financial pressure is put on the chiefs the name is gone. I give them 2 years tops

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Just like Washington football and a potato!

9. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
  10. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Finally Manfred did something right. The Negro Leagues are finally considered to count as Major Leagues, and all verifiable stats are to be added to the total.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Better to be safe than sorry.

Juliet316 , heels1785 and Luke02 like this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I agree @Ahsoka's Tano as a delay makes a lot of sense considering the vaccine timeline. Owners do not want to play in front of empty stadiums anymore and by delaying the season, it would give them a better chance of at least starting the season with partial crowds at every stadium. The players too will want to be vaccinated before they really start traveling again extensively. Waiting on the season a bit gives them a better chance of getting the players vaccinated and allowing them to resume their traditional divisions.

Meanwhile the Cubs are supposedly interested in Jackie Bradley Jr even though supposedly they are looking to cut pay roll and Bradley Jr. would look to at least get 2 years/$20 million. I guess he fills a hole though in CF they are desperate to fill so they can move Happ to LF and have Heyward in RF. They are really high on Brennen Davis being the long term answer in CF but he is not going to be up until 2022 therefore Bradley could fit there for the time being.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Just saw that pop up on my Twitter. Great, great news.

14. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I can't find any numbers on Henry Aaron's Negro League career, but this might very well mean he's the home run champion again.

Amazing.

AutumnLight91 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Unfortunately the cutoff is 1948 for the Negro Leagues and Hank played in 1952. Someone on Reddit found his stats and he only got 5 so he'd still be 2 behind Bonds.

16. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    That's a shame. That would have been a fun little news cycle.

Amazing.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This news is also a reminder to never read the comments section

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well then i think they should count Ichiro's Japan league stats and break Rose's record.

19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Why? The Negro League distinction is because they're American

20. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Why is MLB not giving Inty credit for obviously forcing their hand by including them in the Baseball Draft?

21. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Unrelated topic, but what jerseys does everyone have? I have a Freeman one I got last Christmas. I did have a McCann shirt but I got rid of it years ago as it got worn out if I remember correctly.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Anyone who has a problem with this should have to bat against Satchel Paige.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I wonder if they'd actually consider mandatory vaccinations for the players across the board. Probably not (you know as well as I do that the PA wouldn't go for it). It could be a team-by-team basis.

Of course the other question is when, if ever this season, would they allow fans in the stands? Would they consider requiring fans to get the vaccine?

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    First update to the record books we'd always been told to follow

25. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    mnjedi likes this.