main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The irony is that his explanation of how easy a game like soccer is to understand is pretty much the reason why I personally don't care for the sport at all.

3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    [face_rofl]

This is hilarious.
    Reminds me of when I tried to get my ex GF (who is from Eastern Europe) into baseball and she got so pissed off by all the rules and everything and I kept trying to patiently explain the strike zone, foul balls, hits, putouts etc...and she got so mad I finally gave up.

As a soccer fan, baseball really angered her lmao.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    so apparently this year they are modifying the baseballs for fewere home runs

i coulda swore manfred swore that there was nothing different about them to begin with :rolleyes:

Juliet316 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Jake Arrieta is coming home!

heels1785 and Point Given like this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I didn't think the Orioles were going to be that active in free agency :p

DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    :rolleyes:

Point Given likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  9. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    some players have no trade clauses. he is the first with a no mask clause

i just had to

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Tatis Jr. just signed a 14 year $340 million contract. He's played 143 games!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    DarthTunick , dp4m and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    oh my god. i guess he's only 22, so the chance of him being good-to-okay for most of that contract is better than some of the recent long deals.

he seems like a great kid, though, easy to root for. he's on the cover of mlb the show this year, too. i am happy for him.

12. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    id like a powerball ,,,er baseball contract

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    for pointy

Point Given likes this.
  14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
  15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I respect the hell out of what the Padres are doing with Tatis. They recognized early on they had something special, even before they got him from the White Sox, and they've treated him that way the entire team.

Counter to what most teams would do, they didn't manipulate his service time to extra "cheap", putting him on the roster on opening day back in 2019. And now, they haven't underpaid him for what the CBA allows them to do.

Yes, the numbers are eye-popping. Yes, the concerns of small sample size and injury are there. But if I was a Padres fan, I'd be happier about this than anything else they've done this off-season, or in recent years. I would have loved if Cleveland - after such a small sample size - would have given that contract to Lindor. Hell, I'd love if they gave it to Bieber right now.

Meanwhile, the broke owners will continue to give out contracts like this*, but only to the super mega stars. We'll continue to see The middle 70% squeezed out and given minimal contracts with minimal length and minimal security for the players. We'll continue to see the average player's career length be remarkably just short of service time needed to be a free agent.

*except in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Tampa Bay

CT-867-5309 and tom like this.
  16. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    This is going to keep happening as long as the top end contracts keep increasing and it's something I've been thinking about for a few years. There is no MLB middle class any more. Why give a mid-tier guy $10M when you can get 75% of their production for 5% of the cost? And if you're the mid-tier guy who thinks he's worth $15M instead of $10M, why take a multi year deal at a lower AAV instead of betting on yourself?

I'm glad I don't have to come up with the solution, because I have no idea what it is.

Amazing.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We forgot to mention that the first pitchers and catchers reported yesterday...

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think a lot of it @AmazingB on what happens now with the ball apparently finally being deflated. KBO stated that HR's were down 30% last year after they did something similar with the ball as well. So perhaps now the premium is going to be on contact pitchers and defense instead of HR hitters and power pitchers. Us Cubs fans are joking it since the team has a lot of contact pitchers with a defense that should be good. If that were happen perhaps the maga deals are not as useful there pay becomes more equal among the ranks.

And MLB announced today that AAA ball will begin on April 6th followed AA a month later:

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    See, I don't think it's going to work as intended. I get what they're going for, but if shifts didn't cause players to change their approach, I don't think this will. If there are fewer home runs hit, all that does is make each home run all the more valuable. I think we end up with the same approach by hitters, just slightly fewer home runs.

If you want to change hitters approach, you have to go back to building stadiums where center field is over 450 feet away and the power alleys are 400 feet and that's obviously not happening.

Amazing.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's happening in the fodeuss!

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    are we calling it "the fodeuss" or just "fodeuss"

i kinda like the second, but you're the creator

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think either is fine, i'm no stickler.

23. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    The funny thing about Tatis Jr's contract, is when it's over, Bobby Bonilla will still be getting paid by the Mets.

Juliet316 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    one year after, i think. juan soto's upcoming contract (which will also be a doozy) may be the first to extend past anno bonilla.

25. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    you mean no more endless speculation on espn an foxsports1 and about his supernatural possibiliies?!