main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think it's going to last. I give it 10-15 years before it's changed. The anti-PC crowd will push back against it and ask for the Indians to be restored, and because the Guardians name sucks so badly, no one will come to it's defense. I don't think it will sell well, it won't sell anywhere near as well nationally as the Indians did, so ownership will be happy to change it to something that will, like the Spiders, which will appease the traditionalists.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Like the name & design (particularly the 'G-wing' secondary logo) a lot; was nice to learn a little Cleveland history/facts with this, as I'd been unware of those Guardians of Traffic statues near Jacobs Field.

Meanwhile in Dodgerland, they had the bases loaded tonight in the bottom of the 9th, tied game, no outs, and end up losing 9-6; also, they're now 1-10 in extra inning games this season.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012

Pretty much lol

Love they got Jimmy Dugan to announce it btw

And Addie Joss helped pave the way for the first All-Star Game. And then somehow was its MVP last season.

4. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    So glad that’s settled. It’s a stupid name, IMO but at least this can be put to rest now.

Atlanta Avengers….they’ll get sued by the MCU instantly.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When my kids played soccer, one of their opposing teams was called the Dinosaurs.

Nothing says a challenging team like being named after an extinct animal. Although I would not mind the Atlanta Megoladons.

6. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    If we're doing dinosaurs it should be the Atlanta Raptors then. Raptor could be in comparison to our other team names of Falcons and Hawks

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is a great idea.

I’m assuming there would be no issue with Toronto since there is a football and baseball team called the Giants.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  8. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Shouldn't be. If we are changing then my vote would still be for Hammers though...

Although the advantage of a dinosaur mascot means I can wear my T-Rex suit

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    turned on WWE last night from Cleveland and when John Cena mentioned the name change the crowd booed

10. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    I don't think the Braves will change their name. The problems with Redskins and Indians were that they were a slur and a misnomer, respectively, whereas "Braves," "Chiefs" etc. are positive in connotation. I wouldn't want any team to go that direction if they were just starting out, but I don't think they're bad enough to need to be actively changed.

It's a different world now, though, so we'll see.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe the Yankees should consider changing their name. The term "Yankees" was a derogatory term by the South during the Civil War, wasn't it?

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    oh, ahsoka. i wish i was surprised.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Funny Heels, that's what I always say about the Yankees every time I watch their ballgames this season.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yankees is still a derogatory term among baseball fans.

15. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    27 World Championships would tend to alienate opposing fans.

Iron_lord and AutumnLight91 like this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    No; it's talking about and reminding people about those 27 Championships that annoy fans of opposing teams. I'll admit I used to do it years ago when I let the pride of being a Yankees fan get to my head. You want to tell me that my team "sucks"? Count these rings baby!

But that was the past. The dynasty years seem as though it was a lifetime ago. It's difficult to even care about this team. Part of me was actually glad last night when Cole collapsed in the late innings at Fenway so I got to watch the Olympics Opening Ceremonies with Team USA walking on the field just in time.

Point Given likes this.
  17. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    It's a combination of both, the same can be said for opposing fans of the New England Patriots and Duke Blue Devils, etc....

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    In my teams case there’s also the approximately 5000 consecutive playoff losses, the vast majority to the Yankees.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    What's ironic is that once upon a time I was rooting for New England in the Superbowl against the Rams; back when the Pats were still the underdogs. No surprise that this was A) still the tail end of what was the last Yankees dynasty, B) 1918 still meant something to everyone, and C) the Pats' QB wasn't really a household name at that point.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think Astros (or Astrix) is a more derogatory term among most baseball fans right now.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    If Atlanta becomes the Raptors, I want the Reds to be the T-Rexes. I mean did anyone watch to the END of the movie c’mon

Also their eyesight limitations may help explain how our team performs

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I used to call them the Houston A**h****

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  23. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    This is actually wrong FYI. T-Rex could see very well. In the book it was something Grant discovered later on, but it kinda hinted it was due to the mixture of the DNA. Though the movie outright stated it like a fact that has become lodged in our heads as truth

24. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    All the T-Rexes I know wear glasses so agree to disagree

Also this is now a dinosaur thread

heels1785 and DarthIntegral like this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Everybody loves alliteration. Obviously we need the Atlanta Apatosauruses.

Rew, DarthIntegral and LloydChristmas like this.