main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC BATMAN 89: Celebrating 30 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Oh, c'mon...the "Partyman" sequence is one of the best scenes in the movie. It shows exactly how off-the-rails Napier became after his disfigurement. The tone is similar to Heath Ledger slamming the mob guy's head onto a pencil in "The Dark Knight".

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I don't mind the partyman scene either. I'm much more put out by the bits where Batman kills people.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It's a fricking awesome scene though :p

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm not bothered by Batman killing people. I'm much more bothered by Batman uselessly hovering over and clumsily trying to deter and derail an undeterrable and non-rail-dependent Talia in big-ass trailer truck in TDKR.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Or Emo!Batman hiding for eight years.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

He loved the money it made him on the backs of others.

[​IMG]

This is literally Bob Kane's grave. The only person who helped him with Batman, as per his final wishes, was God. Not Bill Finger, who he regretted not giving credit to (and he only said this after Finger died in poverty, and never once attempted to use his power as "creator" to get Finger co-creator credit) after many years of coasting on his work.

And it's not like Siegel and Shuster, as they were credited as creators from day one. The issue with Siegel and Shuster is that DC has been screwing over their estate to this very day.

I never met Kane either, but considering the wealth of commentary from surviving contemporaries, historians, and critics, it's pretty safe to say the image he sought to present wasn't close to the truth. A minor consolation - Bill Finger's name is finally included as co-creator on Batman comics, 75 years after the fact.

7. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Well, since you brought it up, where else do you think our capacity for imagination comes from? No other creature on the planet has such a detailed ability across the creative spectrum like we do...and since immaterial things don't come from nature, there has to be another source for it. Just sayin'...

Where did you hear that?

Last I heard, DC settled with the Shusters almost ten years ago; it was the Siegels who caused a lot of the more recent legal crap.

I haven;t seen those sources myself, so at this time all I have is "no comment".

Pardon the pun, but its about time. :)

8. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Well, I most definitely am; even Burton kept him from doing that in the '89 film. Napier's fall into the acid was accidental, unlike Bruce deliberately choosing to leave Ra's Al Ghul on that train in "Batman Begins". It also makes him look like a hypocrite in Nolan's films, because he lets Ra's die while saving the Joker.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Prince sucks.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Year later, the problem I have with the movie is that Burton doesn't seem as interested in Batman as he is in the Joker. And this attitude is hugely cranked up in "Batman Returns", where Batman seems to be an afterthought, and Burton has begun his lapse into being weird just for the sake of being weird.

I will say this, though; the '89 Batman provided the framework for "Batman: The Animated Series", the definitive portrayal of the character.

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Yeah, there was another source for it: BILL FINGER.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Human exclusionism sucks.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i saw the film , i think, the monday after it was released. I remember all the hype. I remember a friend of mine saying he was a little disappointed. i said it was as good as it could have been. But that's what hype does. Personally i think it's a good movie, but not great.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw this film 11 years ago, and I was absolutely obsessed with it. Then I watched Batman Forever a few month after the fact. I was morbidly depressed.

15. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That is the most obnoxious gravestone I've ever seen.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I turned eleven just before seeing this in the summer of 89 and it was a very much a big deal back then.

I wouldn't say he was inept because he got shot. Think about it, what's scarier than a guy who shot and then rises from the dead as if it didn't matter.

I got it that Christmas on cassette and finally replaced it on CD a couple of years ago. Got the retail version of the score in 94 and the expanded version in 2010.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002

[​IMG]

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ugh, that tombstone. Jaysis. Bob Kane, a shameless, arrogant ****, even to the bitter end. The deity praised there would not be impressed.

I'll say, my favorite scene as well. I was about to enter senior year in high school and Batmania was EVERYWHERE. I went on a weekday morning with my little brother and caught the first show. At the time I thought it was just ok. I didn't care much for Hammy Jack Nicholson playing Hammy Jack Nicholson with clown make up and prosthetics, nor for tiny Michael Keaton playing a murderous psycho in a rubbery bat suit. Who as the title character seemed to be no more than an afterthought when compared to the villain. But I loved the score, the weird look of a time displaced city embedded within a gigantic factory. And that car. Definitely my favorite version of the Batmobile.

But yes, time hasn't been kind to this movie. Especially after Nolan and his particular version of the Bat. It's very much an old Tim Burton movie and I've never fancied his particular style. And yes, extremely psychotic, murderous Batman simply is a no-no in my book.

Penguinator likes this.
  19. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

I think this Batmobile scene is pretty bad ass as well.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Yeah but it might as well be his strategy. "I'm gonna slowly walk towards these guys all ominous-like, and they'll shoot me, and then I dunno I guess I'll get back up and punch them."

Literally Batman could just punch the dudes or approach from a different angle so as to get the drop on them. And if the bullets literally don't work against his armour, why fall down? Why not just stand there and continue marching towards them? The criminals would **** their pants in fear. "OH GOD THE BULLETS DON'T EVEN SLOW HIM DOWN!"

All that said, it's only a weird thing once it's pointed out to you and start watching for it. The movie is still really campy, so it makes sense they'd have these borderline slapstick moments.

Also, I think Alexander Knox is the hero Gotham needs and deserves. Dude goes after Joker thugs with nothing but a baseball bat and a handkerchief to keep the gas out of his lungs.

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    He had a mask.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Still the most heroic action in the movie :p

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only post-Purple Rain.

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I guess you missed the scene where he blows the crap out of Axis Chemical, killing everyone inside

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Or, you know, when Batman throws a man to his death? See the 3:00 mark here:

That's also not including the scene in Batman Returns where he tucks a bomb in a Clown's pants, and kicks the clown down a manhole. Fairly fatal.

Sorry, Burton's Batman actually kills.