main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC BATMAN 89: Celebrating 30 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But killing Harvey without semantics is totally fine, right? Ah, consistency.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because whenever anyone is shot wearing a Kevlar vest in a movie, they go down.

It was a disposable filter mask. Besides, none of the guys he went after bothered to pull a gun out and shoot his ass. Never bring a bat to a gun fight.

There was about six guys standing in front of the Batmobile. But everyone was killed that was in there. There was no running away.

He wasn't killing Harvey. He was trying to save James Jr., and couldn't save both since he only has two hands. Either he saves one or the other.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Axis Chemical was fully manned producing Smilex products. I don't think the Joker is one for giving people evenings off.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Are you ever going to add value or is being a **** human being your goal 100% of the time?

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Indeed. The Joker was the only one who got away and that's because he's a sick **** who didn't mind his men being killed. He shot his best friend because he wanted to let off some steam about the Batwing taking off with the balloons.

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    My problem with that though, is that the entire movie makes such a big about how Batman won't kill. So while I can do the mental gymnastics that maybe that was his only option at that point, I feel like I shouldn't have to: the movie needs to make it clear what the point in that scene was. Is the movie trying to tell me that 'Well, apparently sometimes Batman has to kill.'? Or, was I not even supposed to notice that inconsistency? What. What is the message. Because it's always seemed like there wasn't one. It felt like Nolan just wanted to wrap things up at that point.

And what makes the whole thing so obviously contrived was that the solution for defeating Dent without killing him is so glaringly obvious in that scene: which is that Bruce should have unmasked and told Harvey he knew exactly how he felt. It was the most logical thing for Bruce to do and one that fit the narrative of the story. I don't know if Nolan was just plain dumb or if he was afraid it would enrage the fanboys (which it shouldn't have because that was actually how Bruce defeated Two Face in his final arc in the 90s newspaper strip).

Penguinator likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    STANDIN ON YOUR MOMMAS PORCH!!! YOU KNOEW THAT IT WOULD LAST FOEVA! THAT WAS THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFEEEEEE!!! OOOHHHH YYYEEEAAAHHH!!!! IT WAS THE SUMMER OF 89!!

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Are we assuming Batman intended to kill Harvey?

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Batman probably should've just sung Bryan Adams' "Cuts Like a Knife" to Harvey. That would have cleared everything up.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you assuming he thought Harvey would have survived that fall?

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Are we assuming Batman knew the fall was that far? He was the last to arrive to that showdown. Also, bear in mind, Batman survived it, and he'd taken a .38 slug to the tummy.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    "It hurts like a .38 slug to the tummy" really doesn't have the same ring to it as "It cuts like a knife," though.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "I have an owwie in my tummy" - Batman

14. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Batman shouldn't be that incompetent IMO. I mean, this is Batman we're talking about. The guy who triple checks everything and has contingency plans for his contingency plans. They guy who we know went to that site after the building was blown up: surely Batman would have scouted around and checked the debris for any loose ends or overlooked evidence and been familiar with it. Surely he wouldn't have walked into that final showdown without five different plans and an understanding of the layout of the place. I just don't buy it. And I consider myself a pretty forgiving audience member.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hadn't he been stabbed by the Joker though? He was pretty wounded and off kilter at that point.

16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    FTFY. Even in the old Adam West shows Batman was routinely well behind the Joker's plans and kept winding up in the guy's death traps, escaping typically by dint of last-minute inspiration or flaws in the Joker's traps rather than a specially-prepared countermeasure in anticipation of being caught (again).

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

fixed

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, ok, so people are still buying the Batgod mythos. The same guy who hatched a contingency plan to rely on Gothamites doing the right thing, despite all evidence to the contrary.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    ender i have something to tell you

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    im batman

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    no actually im not. batman is a fictional character from a comic book for children

24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Batman also survived falling from, what, 10, 20 floors up? It was a pretty high building as I recall from the view from the windows when they were inside. He fell onto a car so hard that the roof collapsed. I don't know about you, but it doesn't seem to me like what Batman survives is a good yardstick to measure other people's survival odds by. He survives a lot of stupid ****.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Guys. Wrong movie.