main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO BATMAN - a Telltale game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DebonaireNerd, Dec 3, 2015.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/...announce-game-series-based-on-batman-for-2016

The question is, are they going adventure game, interactive drama or an action game?

Whatever the case, this could be interesting because i've always wanted a game that captured the tone of the movies in the sense that we experience life as both Bruce and Batman. The Dark Knight does a good job of showing that the two are not entirety inseparable with the scenes in Asia. If that's what they're going for where it takes on an almost Hitman type approach, this could work.

I don't need another Arkham clone. Also, I love your work, Mark, but lets give the Joker a rest for this one?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Pretty sure it's going to be just like their recent games. If they do it in the same vein as The Wolf Among Us then it has the potential to be great. Definitely looking forward to it.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This is probably one of the safest bets you could ever make. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing "The Joker Will Remember This..."

Life and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I could see a point and click adventure working if they do it in the vein of Gemini Rue or Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis where the action is kept in the side scrolling view. I'd love to see that. A 2D noir adventure Batman game with a Frank Miller style look could reinvigorate Batman gaming.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, seriously, have you played a Telltale game since The Walking Dead? They're all pretty much the same engine. You should expect Batman, but with that engine - meaning dialogue/action trees and lots of them.

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

No.

I've only played their Sam & Max and Back To The Future games.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Like Ramza said, Telltale have pretty much stuck with their formula that started with The Walking Dead. Everything they've done since then (Wolf Among Us, Game Of Thrones, Borderlands, etc) have followed that formula. The only thing I can see them changing in the foreseeable future is perhaps a graphics update.

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, could be good. Adventure games are one of my favourite genres so i'm definitely welcoming the new direction. I'll be interested to see how a Batman story "feels" with reduced emphasis on combat, though i'm sure it will be done in a certain way in this series.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That explains it - I assume those are probably close to how Tales of Monkey Island plays, which means I can confidently say that for good or ill none of their games are like that anymore. They've got so many games in the proverbial cooker that I'm not expecting them to deviate from the newer engine.

It probably stands the best chance of capturing the feel of a good Batman comic book, since in some of the best stories the fight scenes are a comparatively small part of the content.

10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Yeah, the two games I mentioned took a very basic 1990s style of adventure game play in that the solutions were restricted to dialogue trees, object hunting, and inventory combinations.

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Looking forward to this. Batman games don't normally interest me that much. The idea of spending hours in a game set in perpetual night time beating up thugs and playing mind games with psychopaths in the criminal underworld of a city just isn't a tempting prospect to me. Just saying that sentence in my head makes it sound like work. :p But if it's a shorter, more focused experience with an emphasis on story, and combined with spending some time as Bruce solving clues, then I'm more intrigued. That could be fun. [face_thinking]

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    This game speaks to me as a fan of both of Batman and adventure games. I look forward to seeing how the two marry up.

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, somewhat excited for this. I've only played their Back to the Future game, no interest in zombies or GoT. Batman on the other hand, that I'll sign up for. Curious to see how many platforms this will end up on.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I like Batman fine, but not enough to be tempted to play the Arkham games. I'm not really much into comic book characters on the whole. But a game in this format sounds interesting.

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Arkham is worth it for the first installment, I personally found the sequel a little overrated but enjoyed Arkham Origins a lot. I haven't played Knight and most likely never will because I don't think a properly optimised version will be available for PC.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah yes, the classic "take design cues from the current costume as soon as it's out of date" approach. :p

Penguinator likes this.
  20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Even though I know this isn't in the same universe I'm getting big Arkham Origin Vibes from these screenshots, Batman, Bruce and the batcomputer look like they've been ripped straight from Origins (not that I'm complaining) I've never played a telltale game but I'm very interested in this game. Who knows maybe this series will go far and we'll end up with TWO Batman Video Game universes- Arkham and Telltale :)

Plus I'm calling it now the last episode of the series will be against the joker after numerous hints of him littered throughout the series

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I am hoping the game focuses more on the detective side of things, and not in a "I have a computer that analyzes stuff" way. Gathering evidence and questioning criminals would be pretty fun.

Life likes this.
  22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Is Troy Baker the first person to have played both Batman and the Joker now?

23. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

I like it. I'm definitely getting an adventure game vibe from this more than I am a stealth-action title.

Bring it, Tellale.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, I hope they take some cues from The Wolf Among Us in that regard.

25. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    It seems as though they are based on what we know so far.