main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL "Batman Begins" teaser/trailer

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Hazmatt, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
  2. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    That looks pretty bad ass after that lame teaser trailer they released over the summer.

I'm actually getting excited about the prospect of a new Dark Knight film after the total waste of celluloid Batman & Robin was.

3. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Since everyone pretty much hates the whole rubber suit thing again, I do like that this time they are apparently gonna show him "making" his first Batsuit and weapons by hand. And the trailer kind of implies in a way that his cowl is given to him or something when they show it with that particular bit of narration, and reveal it in that old wooden cabinet like it's something found or presented.

4. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I am cautiously optimistic about this flick. It looks like there is going to be very little Batsuit time which could be a mistake but we'll see. I think Bale is perfect for the role though.

I do like that we get to see him training and making the suit. Who knew Bruce Wayne was an armorer!?

5. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Maybe we should invite him to come to the Costuming Club meetings?

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, I have no idea at all what Batman is about and I thought the trailer looked pretty good. It intrigued me if nothing else.

The end got a little blockbuster-ish with the bright explosions and fights but we'll see-- it might still be cool. :D

7. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "Well, I have no idea at all what Batman is about and I thought the trailer looked pretty good."

WHAT?! You're kidding right?

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I AM NOT KIDDING!!!!!111!1!!!!111!!! omgroflg2glol. Okay, here's what I do know:

1. He has no super powers, but instead he has lots of gadgets.

2. His real name is Bruce something, and he is a billionaire.

3. He lives in Gotham City.

That's about it. Oh, and I think he's in love with Catwoman or something (which doesn't make sense because why would a bat love a cat?). I don't read comics, okay? :p

EDIT: Oh, and I learned about half of that stuff from the Batman Ride at Great America.

9. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Now, Goat, don't feed the trolls...Sithy knows very well the film is about the Batman. He wouldn't really have no knowledge of it, would he?

Would he?

10. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Bruce Wayne trained in any sort of skill he thought would be useful to his mission, Goat. Of course armorcrafting would be one of them!

Sithy, if you really want to know about Batman, ask Dan the next time you see him. :)

11. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    saw clips from this trailer on access hollywood on a very small box on my TV whilst playing with Tivo. looks cool to me. i am very, very cautiously optimistic.

SITHY: rundontwalk to a comic book store, borders, what-have-you and buyborrowsteal "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller. this is essential geek reading.

same goes for all you scumbags. READ IT. it is ESB-caliber nerd greatness.

12. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Whoa whoa, hold on a second there. Do not attepmt to read The Dark Knight Returns unless you have at LEAST a rudimentary knowledge of Batman's supporting cast. You don't need to be a hardcore fan, you don't need to have seen any of the films (in fact, it's probably better if you haven't), but you should at least be sorta familiar with the excellent Warner Brothers cartoon from the 90s: it's the best place for new/young fans to learn about Catwoman, Robin, Two-Face, The Joker, Jim Gordon, etc.

TDKR is a phenomenal book, but it was written as the final chapter of an epic story. Reading the last page first is a universally bad idea.

(Additional Batman required reading: "The Killing Joke" and "Year One.")

-Le Penguin
    "I hope Rob don't say balls nasty."

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    But skip DK2 as that sucked.

14. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    As the biggest Batman freak in CF, let me be the first to agree with Pengy that you certainly shouldn't START with the "Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller. You really need to have a greater knowledge of the greatest hero in comic books before you read that text. But make no mistake, you certainly need to read DKR (just don't confuse it with DKR 2 . . . you'll be sorry). It is the best piece of comic art ever conceived and executed. I've read it at least 30 times.

I think "Batman Year One" would be a much better starting place. If you follow that up with the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale works that take place early in his career ("The Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory") and build upon the events of "Year One", then you should be set. For basic current continuity I'd also recommend "A Death in the Family", "A Lonely Place of Dying", and the fantastic "The Killing Joke".

I own all of the above and much, much more. Let me know if you want to check them out Sithy.

Dan

15. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
  16. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    The supermodel and I just returned from Blade Trinity. We enjoyed it because it was Sci-Fi/Martial Arts/Horror (just like pizza, even when it's bad, it's still good), but overall the story was on the disappointing side. It was a ton better than say . . . Underworld for example, but still not nearly the taut scripting of the original. Lots of plot holes, lots of uninspired dialogue, and an inability to get us to care about the characters very much.

Why am I bringing this up here? The writer, director, and one of the producers of the film is David S. Goyer. This was his baby through and through. He is also the writer for Batman Begins. Now I'm nervous.

He seemed so awesome at Wizard World this year and he said absolutely everything a true Batman fan would want to hear . . . but I'm afraid he might screw this up.

On the other hand, the director is Christopher Nolan, and he couldn't possibly create something crappy.

Could he?

17. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a tried and true rule when it comes to movies: a bad script through a good director will always beat a good script through a bad director. Example:

-the script for "Mullholland Drive" is an absolute mess, pieced together by David Lynch using footage from his unfinished TV pilot along with some re-shoots. But Lynch as a director found a way to make it work. "Intentionally incomprehensible" is a tough scheme, but he pulled it off perfectly.

-now look at "8mm." As just a story, it had the potential to be something even darker than "Se7en" (from the same writer, not coincidentally.) But along came Joel Schumacher -it hurts just to type that name- and everything falls apart. Scenes that were supposed to be tense end up being boring, the editing is all wrong, and the whole feel of the picture is very dull in several meanings of the word. Only the acting (especially Peter Stromare and James Gandolfini's final scenes) manage to preserve the true darkness and gloom to which the script aspired.

Anyway, I have high hopes for the new Bat-movie. The trailer suggests that Nolan -and everyone else involved- are aware that Batman is the true personality, and that Bruce Wayne is merely the alter-ego. As the Joker himself says in Arkham Asylum when someone says they want to take off Batman's mask and see his real face,

"Oh, don't be so predictable, for Christ's sake! That is his real face. And I want to go _much_ deeper than that."

Speaking of which, did anyone else catch Tarantino's crappy monologue about alter-egos in the second Kill Bill last spring? "Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man." etc etc

Regular readers of the movie thread know I'm no QT fan, but I at least thought he knew his comics. Turns out I was mistaken. Upon reflection, he must've just been looking at the pretty pictures (makes sense now that I think about it...)

-Le Penguin
    "Mommy's dead.
    Daddy's dead.
    Brucie's dead.
    I shall become a bat."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.