main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman: The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Orrelios, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I think we should start a topic about "Batman: The Animated Series" or BTAS, as it is known to fans of the shoe. Here could we discuss favorite episodes and so on.

Here is a good site about the series:

http://anbat.toonzone.net/index.php

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i loved this series. my favorite character would have to be the Joker in it. the portrayal of him and voicing by Mark Hamill were perfect. also I loved The Mask of the Phantasm movie. very dark

3. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    TAS was fantastic. I know it's cliche to say, but this was a cartoon both kids and their parents could enjoy. The stories were very well done with well developed characters. It's really amazing how much story and character they put into 20 minutes every episode, and still it didn't seem as frantic, overdone, and corny as the Marvel cartoons sometimes seemed.

Amoung my favorite villains are Ra's Al Ghul (voiced by the great David Warner), Mr. Freeze (a more tragic, complex character), and The Joker (Mark Hamill had the dark comedic genius down pat).

Great show.

4. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    I think that was Batman as he should be, he works best as an animated character. Although I do prefer the new, slightly altered version in Justice League.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    This is my favorite series. I now own all 3 of the volumes on dvd. Its fantastic watching my favorite episodes again such as Almost Got 'em.

6. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    If you include Batman: Gotham Knights, then there are Four DVD collections available. I have them all and they're all excellent. I've said it before, but Mask of the Phantasm is the single best Batman movie period.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Great series. After Burton left the film franchise that was where Batman as he should be was carried on. Mask of the Phantasm is a great film and the series was brilliant. I loved the sympathetic villains; who would have ever guessed you'd get a great episode out of the Clock King of all people.

8. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Mask of the Phantasm absolutely rocked hard.

Mark Hamill as the Joker totally blows away the Jack Nicholson version from the film.

9. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    One of the best, if not the best, animated series of all time.

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm not a big fan of cartoons, but I must admit I used to tune into this when it first started. They captured something that the later Batman movies missed (excluding Batman Begins). Excellent dark edge, superb plot lines, brilliant animation and outstanding voice acting.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think that was because the actors all read together, rather than seperately, even in the final recording.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Got all 4 volumes. A total masterpiece. Loved how much it influenced the comics. Montoya, Harley were originally animated characters. And Mister Freeze... damn. I loved their portrayla of him.

My favorite episode was 'Gorwing Pains', with Annie, Clayface's 'daughter'.

13. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    Kevin Conroy IS Batman, no one can ever portrayed him better.

14. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    That's why I was so glad they tapped him to continue the lagacy in the Justice League. Too bad Warner Bros. finally killed it all with that horrid "The Batman" Jackie Chan Advenures animation crap.

15. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    great show, i really the Scarecrow episodes in the show,mainly the first season.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It is such a shame Justice League is ending. Even though he was only a part-timer it was
    still great to see Batman being himself. :(

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    with the Joker being my favorite villain i'd have to say Two-Face and Mr. Freeze would be next in line

18. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    One of the villains who has some of the best episodes is certainly the Scarecrow.

Who agrees?

19. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    for sure! espcailly the episode wheer he fought batman in the circus on the scafolding, its been ages since ive watched that episode but it was an awesome one, il also liked the poision ivy one wheer she turns everyone that goes to her facility for the "fountain of youth" into trees

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I think what really surprised me about the show was how it made villains who I had always thought were rather stupid actually make sense and be interesting and even sympathetic.

I mean Maxie Zeus? Clock King? Ventriloquist? Those are about stupid ideas for villains, I must say, but they just worked on this show. Great stuff.

21. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    They did such a great job re-imagining Mr. Freeze that they forever altered the view of the character. Changing him from a cheesy, campy joke to a tragic figure.

Then Schoemaker and Arnold came along and killed all that.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll give you Clock King. But I liked Scarface & The Ventriloquist and Maxie Zeus. Interesting concepts, done well by Alan Grant.

23. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    My favorite villian of the show was the Scarecrow, his episodes were always very intresting.

24. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Hyde: "Yeah, we got it. And we got it." :p ;)

I didn't like Bane's redesign for the New Adventures and Mystery Of The Batwoman. Too S&M. Joker and Harley Quinn were always a barrel of laughs. Especially "Laughing Fish", "Christmas With The Joker", "Joker's Millions" and "World's Finest".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.