main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/batman.jpg]

i was surprised when I didn't see a thread for the new set of Batman movies that'll be coming out. I'd have to say that Batman Begins was excellent. it blew me out of the water. Christian Bale's performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman was spectacular. great performances by Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, and Morgan Freeman also. it had one of the best endings and lead ins to a sequel in movie history. the joker card was great. i wonder who they'll have play the Joker in the next one. also i'd love to see a take on Harvey Dent/Two-Face in these sets of movies.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Best Superhero movie I've ever seen. Better than Spider-Man 2 and anything from Superman. IT got away from the campy Schumacher and okay Burton films. I must have went 3 times to see it, I loved it so much.

3. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Gotta love BB.

Major British involvement, cool ninja skills, Liam Neeson as a villian, I mean that just rocks and that swordfight on the ice. That frozen lake had completely melted by the next day.

I so want the sequel to rock suprememly. If they use The Joker it'll be hard to cast him. Also, it'd be cool to use a Batman villian that hasn't been in a film before. Though if it has martial arts in it I'll watch it.

4. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm pretty sure we'll have Joker, the origins of Two-Face and a return of Scarecrow since he only gets zapped in BB. Cillian Murphy pwns as a villain.

I didn't think I'd like Scarecrow going into BB, but he's the best villain since Jack Nicholson and Danny Devito.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    That whole Joker card scene came from the ending to Frank Miller's Batman Year One, which is what much of the film was based on. There's nothing saying the next film has to be about the Joker. Personally, while I hated Schoemaker's films, I don't see the need to totally negate Tim Burton's films as well. It's that whole baby and bath water thing.

6. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Seeing as Batman Begins completely contradicts Burton's Batman, I don't see why they shouldn't use Joker again. Now, there's nothing saying that it should be exclusively about Joker. Begins showed that you could have multiple villains in one movie and not lose focus, so I would expect a sizeable rogues gallery in the sequel (The Penguin as the new crime boss could be one possibility).

7. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    Sequel will have Joker, Penguin and Harvey Dent. Hopefully they still use Zsasz and Scarecrow for a brief appearance, so right there are 4 villians with the villian for the 3rd film. Also rumored to be in it is Talia Al-Ghul, which is rumored to be wanted to be played by Rachel Weisz. Nolan also said he'd love to have Depp as the Joker, and so far its either Denzel Washington or Liev Schrieber as Dent. Penguin will be Phillip Hoffman.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Why the need for so many badguys at once? Why not take a cue from the comics or the Animated Series and just make it about Batman dealing with one major badguy per episode? I just fear it will get all muddied down the way Shoemaker did.

9. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Where Begins succeeded and Returns, Forever and Robin failed was that even though there were multiple villains, they didn't all get together and go "HAHAHA, LET US JOIN FORCES AND TOGETHER WE WILLDESTROY BATMAN! HAHAHA!" They were barely on screen together.

I'd love for them to do the Joker. He was wasted by Burton. A wonderfully layered chracter brought down to one (okay, two) dimensions. Depp would be a cool Joker, and I'd select Guy Pearce for Dent. Have him in the second film but getting screwed up at the end, and then he'll be cool for 3. Again he was wasted the same way as Joker was, but definitely in one dimension.

10. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003

11. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

you got a link? any proof?

12. Walken

May 3, 2004
    1: http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060112_a_few_more_batman_rumours_to_c.html
    Take it with a grain of salt for now, but have just had a bit of a chinwag with a scooper who seems to be as on the ball as you can get when youâ??re separated by a sea. In such occasions, we usually give them the floorâ?¦
    â??Fly-on-the-wallâ?? says heâ??s got wind of a new name that the brothers Warner hope to have in the next â??Batmanâ?? film. Sheâ??d play a femme fatale.
    â??This is the first screen appearance for this character in the Batman films and she has a very close connection with a major character in Nolanâ??s first Batman movie. She will be out for revenge against Bruce Wayne and Gotham in a major way. As of who the studio is looking at for this role, letâ??s just say that she is nominated for a SAG, a Golden Globe and is on her way to an Oscar nomination as well. She is also in fact five months pregnant and will be in tip top fighting shape once production begins to roll early next year but not before she throws a few coins in a fountainâ??. (Not in article, but its Rachel Weisz)

Weâ??re also told that every actor in town is interested in playing The Joker in the next film. Chris Nolan is pretty keen on getting â??a nameâ?? though.
    â??As you know, there are many actors who want the chance to do this character (The most requested Batman character next to Batman himself.) The studio is eyeing a major, major actor and Christopher Nolan himself is said to be just as excited as they are in nabbing him for the role. Who is he? Letâ??s just say that he has a major film coming out this summer and itâ??s a sequel to one of his biggest hits. In fact, his performance in the first movie was nominated for an Oscar.(Johnny Depp, talking about PotC) YES, they are looking at HIM if he is available for the role and rumor is that he might be interested depending on the script, which is being written right nowâ??.

2: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/051222c.php
    After having the likes of Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman in supporting roles in your first venture, I always said any villains they hire for the potential sequels have to be Oscar nominees at the minimum if they're going to be taken with any credibility.

Now, Batman on Film scored a report from a scooper adding to a rumour earlier this week that this year's most likely Best Actor Oscar winner may be up for a the secondary villain role in the next film - "I live in the Rochester, NY area, which is where Philip Seymour Hoffman grew up. The media has been covering his Golden Globe nomination for Capote, and in a recent interview with his old high school drama teacher (who remains close to him) on a local news program, she confirmed that Hoffman has been in talks to take on The Penguin in the upcoming BATMAN sequel and is very interested in the role".

13. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree I don't like double or triple teams. The thing I like about BB is everyone is a pawn of the main villain and they're not equal.

Though I have to admit, I did like the Catwoman / Penguin duo in Returns.

Nice birdy. [Catwoman swallows the bird] Nice kitty [Penguin goes after the cat then Catwoman lets Penguin's bird go]

15. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    "I never got a chance to thank you"
    "and you'll never have to"

Great ending to the movie there, One of my favorites of the whole movie.

I didn't like this when I first saw it. Too much of a departure, and not a true origin for Batman.(not for me anyway) I mean the whole "league of shadows" just reeks of a modern storytelling, and the being a Ninja thing.. Kinda corny.

It got better each time I watched it. I can overlook the faults now...and now I really enjoy watching it. It's good stuff. Don't like Nolan's direction in the action scenes though. If we are to believe that he is a Ninja..I want to see him take these people out. Him using his stealth, and behind the scenes "Bat" techniques is a cop out. He is written as the most physically developed man on the planet. (he would have to be... to do all the unbeleivable things he is a capable of doing...without superpowers..but I digress) and should have no problem taking people out..and Nolan showed nothing of this, instead went with dark lighting...and quick edits (SEE: Bourne Supremacy).

Still prefer Superman: the Movie.

16. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The beginning of the movie up until we actually see him wearing the suit was excellent. After that point, I felt that the whole thing went down hill. The action scenes after that point were horrible. I wanted to see it. We want to actually see Batman take those guys out. Not have a quick montage of it.

The film up until we first seem him in the costume:A

The film after that: B-

17. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'm in the minority on this one but I didn't really like BB that much :eek:

I like the Burton movies better but for no real reason other then nostalgia probably.

BB gives you a better look into the heart and soul of the character and the whole vengence vs. justice thing was expertly handled. I just couldn't fall in love with it like everyone else. For one thing I think in general Batman works better in animation then live action. Even with the advances in how they made the suit allowing the actor to actually move his head it still never flows like the comics. Thats an obvious thing but its something that bothered me about BB and all other live action Batman movies.

18. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    Nice to see you Yodas_evil_twin: Yep, you said exactly what I was trying to say in less time. I agree with you completely.

19. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I think that part of the problem was that Nolan was focusing too much on the fear aspect.

I have watched it three times, and found that the fight scenes are just a bit more watchable after multiple viewings, but still need alot of fine tuning.

20. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    yeah, exactly. I remember reading something somewhere about him being a great storytelling director but not necessarily a great action director. Now I think he did a great job with the character study and plot...but when it comes right down to it..Fans want to see some good action in their comic book movies and I think this was sadly lacking here..I think it was an opportunity that was wasted.

To tell the truth..I thought Mark Steven Johnson did better with Daredevil action than Nolan did with Batman here. Not the film...just some of the action scenes.

*waits for mocking from other users about Daredevil"

Sorry, but I liked Daredevil.

21. Walken

May 3, 2004
    It was pretty close, granted that he wasn't trained by Ras and that he was more of a samurai, not ninja.

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I loved it. It`s more psychological and it didn`t rely on special effects. Fine performances all over(Besides for Katie Holmes but even she is presentable) The movie is well written. Batman is a super hero and Begins shows it. Wayne is able to use his intelligence and will to save Gotham. Batman Begins is the only super hero film that treats it`s audience like they have a brain.

BTW I`m surprised everyone was so shocked about Liam being a villian...

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Well this WAS one movie I didn't want to be spoiled when I saw it opening day. [coughs]ROTS[coughs] And when I saw Ducard return at Bruce's birthday party, I was like wow what a surprise.

Now that I've watched it a few times, I can pick up on the subletites too easily. But it's still fun to watch since it's still my #2 movie of all time.

24. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Batman Begins is my favorite comic book movie. I've watched it multiple times, and I must say it gets better EVERY time.

Now from what I hear about the sequel it's the Joker. Also I hear the current leader of the pack for the part is Paul Bettany. While I think that's a decent choice, because I think a big name would be a bad move, I think the best choice would be...

Adrien Brody.

In fact, he's been lobbying WB for the part, so I hope Paul gets a bit busier so that way Adrien could take over. That way everyone's happy! (especially me. :) )

Also the other "bad guy" is said to be Two-face. But that's not completely true. Harvey Dent is supposed to play a major part in the story as Bruce Waynes best friend. Which is true to the comics, and that during the story Harvey would get splashed with acid during a court case (like the comics). We not actually see "Two-face" until the third movie comes out (since everyone signed for a three movie deal).

Also, Burtons films were rubbish, and as a comic book reader they were far far FAR away from the feel of the comic. And then... there's those other two. Batman Begins is probably the most true to the comic feeling I've seen, except for maybe Spider-man 2 and Sin City. As in it doesn't try to focus on the action, literally. The action happens because it must, but it's more about Bruce Wayne which is... perfect.

Jack Nicholson was a terrible Joker. :)

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Sn4tcH/Adrien_Brody_i_The_Jac_946b.jpg][image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Sn4tcH/brody.jpg]
    [image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Sn4tcH/trl-brody.jpg][image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Sn4tcH/163385glNK_w.jpg]
    Somebody tell me that isn't the joker...

25. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    If not Guy Pearce, Jake Gyllenhall or however it's spelled. He does dark very well. Hell, he could even be the Joker.