main
side
curve

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ra's boasted about his plan to stick it to Bruce, believing that he wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    the soonest we'd see the sequel in theaters is 2008. because Nolan is filming with Bale on that movie The Prestiege or something like that. i wonder if they'll come back to Chicago for filming like they did in Begins

3. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Funny thing is, the ACTUAL mansion they used for filming BB did indeed burn down in a fire a few months back. [face_thinking]

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    oh the irony:p

5. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I guess theyre gonna need a new set now :(

6. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I agree that glover should be the joker. Cant really think of anyone else (maybe depp, MAYBE)

And if they put another villain in this film, i will be dissapointed. The joker works better as a story when he is alone and so can run riot with his crazyness

7. Minder

May 28, 2002
    I HATE it when they put 2, 3 or 4 villans in the movie, they never have time to tell a full story.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    I don't like Crispin Glover as Joker. He just doesn't have the hilarious insanity that one would expect from The Joker. Glover's just creepy

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    if they eventually do two face i'd be interested to see who they get to play him

10. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I could see Leonardo DeCaprio as The Joker. Two Face, maybe Tom Hanks?

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i honestly could not see those 2 playing those characters[face_plain]

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, eight years ago. Nolan picks actors who are right for the role. Not those who are big name draws, begging to be in a Bat film.

13. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    ^But Nolan did cast big name actors. I think that was part of the success of the movie.

14. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Who Christian Bale and Cillian Murphy? o_O

The relatively big name actors that were in it all had supporting roles at best. Even then none of them are the caliber (star wise not acting wise) of Leo and Tom.

I think to sinster's point they were cast because they were good in the role, not because name alone.

15. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    gotta agree with jedi master conor, no di caprio and no hanks

two face will be in it but as harvey dent, then in the 3rd one he becomes two face

and the web site on go to look for batman updates says dent is going to be either

Jake Gyllenhaal or Liev Schreiber

the rumor on the site is they jake a lot and get this he screen tested for batman!

16. Minder

May 28, 2002
    What I liked most about "Begins" is that they explained EVERYTHING. The Back story WAS the story, and I seriously hope they dont deviate from that, I want to see all of the decisions and mistakes that lead to each of the villans. I want to see Harvey dent fall into insanity, not simply get splashed by chemicals and Voila! 2 face!

17. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    ^

couldnt agree more

after what was done with two face in forever, but i do think we are in safe hands with chris nolan

18. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I was disappointed that they didn't go further with Billy Dee who played Harvey Dent in the first film. Lando would have made a great Two-face.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i would've liked to see Burton's take on Two-Face. honestly I wouldn't mind have Tommy Lee Jones playing two-face again. i thought his performance in Batman Forever was good and i think he could expand on it and make it even better for this series

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Bingo. Arnold wanted to be in a Batman film and practically begged Joel S. into giving him a part. Jim Carrey was wrong for Riddler. Just cause Frank Gorshin was a funny man didn't mean that it would work twice. Gorshin was good as Riddler, because he had the right blend of himself and the comic version to draw upon. Jack Nicholson just happened to work, since his Joker had a bit of a blend between the Silver and Modern age styles. Jack wouldn't work for a really dark Joker. Just as Crispin Glover wouldn't work for a Silver Age Joker. Danny Devito was right as Penguin, just the wrong rendition to use.

Christan Bale has been around for a long while, but it is Batman that gave him all kinds of good attention, thus will hopefully lead to getting some really good roles that are also high profile. Liam Nesson, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman weren't begging to be in the film. They just happened to work out to what Nolan wanted. Each actor blended into their role, with Oldman being the most successful as he does look like the Year One version of Jim Gordon. I'm not dimishing the work of the previous actors, but I am pointing out that with Begins and it's sequel, we're getting actors who are chosen well. Not for name value alone. In the first and fourth films, the role of Batman does not get top billing in the opening or closing credits. It was the same thing with the first two Superman films. Brando and Hackman took the top two names in the first film, with Hackman and Reeve taking over in the second film. Reeve should've gotten top billing both times, since it's about him.

Famous actors can be in a comic film, they just need to be there for the right reasons. Imagine the Rock playing Obi-wan. Totally wrong for the part. Ewan MacGregor as Obi-wan. Pretty right.

21. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
  22. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    o_O

I'm sorry but Leonardo Dicaprio IS NOT a bigger star than Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson or Gary Oldman...they're all on the same level--star wise...acting wise, i'd say that most of these actors, Mr. Freeman especially, surpass Mr. Dicaprio.

23. Minder

May 28, 2002

24. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I still think Morgan Freeman is a bigger star than Leo.

Tommy Lee was horrible as Two Face. He just played that role like did every other role he's done.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think Tommy Lee Jones has had some great roles in his career. i think he did a good job as two-face but it could've been better but he was limited by what was given to him