main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yep. Quite a few of my points actually was with most of the people here, but they just don't want to say it.
    Also some of my prediction came true...

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Well I waited until this week to watch it.
    Sometimes movies are so overhyped good they let you down. And other times movies are so panned and bashed they turn out to be okay. Not as bad as everyone claimed.

Well this film certainly lived up to the vast negative critiques. They had a piece of gold in their hand and just smeared **** all over it. Then washed it down with a mason jar full of piss. Adam of Nuchtern

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Only if all our mom's names were Martha, we could end and solve all issues and grievances.

Ghost, Ender Sai and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Wait....Save mother. Mother! Sith_Sensei__Prime we are no longer enemies, in fact we are now friends!

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Now only if a hot Amazonian would show up and be my bestie.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, some plot with good potential were either wasted(the trial went BOOM) or had unconvincing solution(Martha). It was a BAD idea to make BVS. I said it when the project was announced.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a difference between it being a bad idea to make the movie and having questionable choices with regards to certain plot points.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It is, when you have such limited setup(just MOS), it's very hard to let the two heroes have a reason to fight each other and then work together in one movie. Not to say it's never interesting when one side (Superman) didn't want to fight.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Plus Superman would always have "the higher ground."

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

It was something of both, I think. They were simply trying overly hard to build a Cinematic Universe to equal Marvel. They were just moving faster than they should have been. In that sense, I suppose, it's not necessarily making the movie that was the mistake: it was making it now. Like the audience for a Batman v Superman movie was going to dry up if they didn't get the movie out immediately. But the plot points are also an issue and, even being rushed, the film could have still been great if those things had worked.

Ender Sai and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Doomsday should never have been involved. Save that for MOS 2 or 3. The whole thing is a jumbled mess, and a huge missed opportunity.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, like I said there was too few setup materials, Marvel got SO many movies before Civil War and it was still not handled flawlessly.

If they just plan to build a cinematic universe, they could just make something like World's Finest, where Superman and Batman work together, which would have been much easier to handle. Why did they choose to make BVS? Because they want to use the popularity of The Dark Knight Returns to get a HUGE box office return, but they were wrong.

I don't get why Lex Luthor wanted to kill Superman, even creating something like Doomsday.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Good points Rogue1-and-a-half - and let's not forget based on BO takings that both BvS and Suicide Squad have very large audiences willing to forgive plot issues.

darth-sinister likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    SS did very well at the box office. BvS not being close to. Dealing a billion tells me there wasn't much forgiveness for the plot.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    BvS earned $321m in the US and $855m worldwide.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes it was a hit, but not the one they were expecting.

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    But the one they deserved.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    $855 million for the very first live action film starring Batman and Superman, and a tickle from Wonder Woman? If any executive at WB called that a victory they deserved to be fired.

And I'm a DC boy, AJ, I want these films to succeed. But Marvel is doing it better. And they have no right to.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Here is their lesson:

Big names and the "VS" gimmick could only carry you that far...

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You don't need "set-up" materials, really. The vast majority of all films, even with much lesser known characters, manage to introduce the situation and a plausible conflict. They just failed to do so here, and instead seemed to have spent a bunch of time making odd, disconnected references to a bunch of future films that no one will want to see, on account of this one being terrible.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But this is Superman and Batman. Everybody knew them way too well so you need a major buildup for them to fight each other.
    Remember even TDKR was a non-canon or didn't happen in the main universe.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't think you need a major build-up. You need a good reason.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And you need major setup to give people a reason, WHY these two GOOD superheroes would fight each other.

More importantly, this isn't something like TDKR. It's the main movie universe, which is still mainly about superheroes working together to fight the bad guys, and this movie was supposed to start the creation of Justice League.

So not only they need a reason to let these two fight, but also need to let them solve the problem and work together after the fight. This is way too much to handle, and we saw what happened.

This is why I was saying that BVS itself was a mistake from the beginning.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I agree that the overall concept of fighting and then cooperating is contrived and non-sensical in the way that comic books specialize in. It's also the case that it doesn't really made sense for them to "fight" at all since Batman is too destined to lose too badly, absent some absurdly particular set of circumstances to tilt things in his favor.

Really, though, given we're wedded to such an awful concept, it's not that hard to do. The most straightforward way would probably be for Superman to mistakenly target Batman as part of some sort of criminal enterprise. This, because Batman's reputation centers more on being a detective, so it's less likely he would be the one to make a mistake. Batman clears his name then they jointly target some "real" threat.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I kind of agree with Wocky. Batman could easily have been investigating shady activities in Lexcorp. For example, he might have learned that Lexcorp (or a group employed by Lex) has been scavenging and smuggling remnants of alien tech.

During this investigation, Superman comes upon him, who isn't too thrilled to have a vigilante who "beats criminals to a pulp with his bare hands" running around.

The more challenging thing here would be a reason for why Superman should care, since MoS made every effort to tell Superman that he shouldn't give a damn.

Darth_Invidious likes this.