main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BBC America: "BAFTA Awards"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    For those of you lucky enough to get this on cable:

3-4PM
    BBC America, TV-14

Season Premiere
    Gordon Ramsay's F Word
    B+

"It takes chef Ramsay just three minutes of his food show's new run to suggest someone go forth and multiply. But the Brit's love for good eats shines through his foulmouthed shtick. He even goes diving for delicious king crabs in frozen Norway (''My balls feel like two big f---ing ice cubes!'')."

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-10PM
    BBC America, TV-PG

FOUR-PART SERIES
    The American Future: A History by Simon Schama

"The British historian looks at current military conflict and waning optimism. Might he have titled this You Suck, Americans?"

Schama has written some excellent books, most notably "Citizens" and "An Embarassment of Riches"

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    BBCA is my favorite channel... if only I could get the real BBC. *Sigh*

I love Gordon Ramsey, the man is mean but he knows what he is talking about (and it is kinda funny). Look at how many Michelin stars the man has!

I hadn't heard about The American Future. It sounds really interesting, I'll have to DVR it. :)

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I don't get it, but here's hoping.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9PM
    BBC America, TV-PG

Season Premiere
    Last Restaurant Standing

"Like Top Chef but without Padma and Tom Colicchio...oh, who cares, then?"

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What I've gotten to watch of The American Future was really interesting, though I haven't had the time to watch much.

I'm excited that a new season of Last Restaurant Standing is starting, I really liked it last season. :)
    I didn't even know it was coming back until I saw this so thanks Zaz! [:D]

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They both sound very interesting....Sigh.

Wish I had the channel.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    1-8PM
    BBC America, TV-PG

Top Gear

"Double-decker buses, Mark Wahlberg on a test track, and seven marathon hours of those crazy Brit boys and stuff that moves."

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I love this show, but I'm apparently a season ahead of BBC America. This season is great.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9:30PM
    BBC America, TV-PG

Series Debut
    Any Dream Will Do

"Graham Norton hosts a contest whose winner lands the lead in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I love me a good musical about attempted fratricide and slavery!"

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11PM
    BBC America, TV-MA

The Graham Norton Show

"Has Zac Efron ever watched this double-entendre-fest? I'm guessing not, given that the HSM star will be on."

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    NOON-1PM
    BBC America, TV-PG

Antiques Roadshow U.K.

"The show's Brit version also features clueless locals with dusty antiques and money-sign thought bubbles hovering over their heads. This edition is prettier, though, set against the backdrop of historical sites (tonight: Bolton Abbey's remains). Just bring your conversion calculator. B ?Kate Ward"

I've seen three versions; the American, the Canadian, and the Brit. The Brit is best, mainly because some of the items are stellar and the settings often historical.

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I love the Swedish version of the show, it's been running for 20 years now. I was even filmed for one of the Swedish shows, together with an 18th century candleholder, but it was cut away from the show.

Anyway not to be rude, but can't a reason why the British version is better than the North American ones be that the chance of someone having something old is bigger over here in Europe, compared to a country where most citizens can trace their roots to immigrants from the last 150 years, immigrants that also might have left most of their belongings when the left the old country.

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah... when a building in America is 150 years old, that's pretty old. In Europe, a 150-year-old building is practically still smelling of fresh paint. :p

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Each show has its strength...on the American, it's the American experts in American furniture and pop culture.

In the Canadian, it's the First Nations artifacts and Canadian folk art.

In the British, it's the often wonderful documents and paintings.

16. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    We get that here, and Channel 9 convententily converts the money to Australian dollars when the price is given at the bottom of the screen.

Great things I have seen:

*The DJ's music box, I want one!
    *A drinking man's walking stick
    *Illustrated letters from Beatrix Potter
    *A posset pot, posset is some sort of drink

I also love at the beginning of the show how they show the historic houses with some of the treasures in them.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    On the Brit show, I think my fave is this dreadlocked guy who comes in with his mother and sister, and produces, from a sack, the most incredible collection of heirloom silver, collected by his father. The expert is practically hyperventilating while each enormously rare item is produced from the sack. I remember a James I winetaster ("Only three in existence!" huffs the expert. "Four now," says the dreadlocked guy, calmly.) Also a Commonwealth (1649-60) tankard. Great TV.

On the American show, I guess the John and Thomas Seymour table--complete with extant label--was the best. The twin experts--I forget their names--nearly went berserk, which is always amusing. They valued it at over $350,000.00, and it was later sold at auction for over $600,000 I think.

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My favourites things on the Swedish show was a rusty candle holder that turned out to be a French 15th or 14th century candle holder. The other one was a man coming in with a simple yellow deep plate that he used for breakfast, it turned out to be an original Ming-plate from 17th century, it was simple and yellow because it belonged directly to the imperial family or something. He said that he was going to stop using it for breakfast.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I recall seeing a couple off that top 10 list...the Charles Schulz art and the sword.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Sometimes the toys are very interesting.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-10PM
    BBC America, TV-PG

Primeval

"A deadly creature that can camouflage itself is hanging out in a potentially haunted house. Here's what I say: Who needs to investigate? Staying home is also nice."

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I hated, hated, hated this show. iTunes had the pilot up for a free download, and I barely got through it. Poor acting, poor CGI, nonsensical story. Ugh.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-10PM
    BBC America, TV-14
    being_human_150

Series Debut
    Being Human
    B

"In a new twist on the roommate drama, Mitchell (Aidan Turner), George (Russell Tovey), and Annie (Lenora Crichlow) are a vampire, werewolf, and ghost living together in Bristol. Turner and Tovey get the best material, while Crichlow mopes a lot. Then again, she's a ghost, so let's cut her some slack."

25. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Being Human is a very good series. I'd certainly recommend it.