main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph BBC to Adapt 'His Dark Materials'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Nov 3, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I haven't. But I canceled my HBO subscription immediately upon watching the GoT finale.

The trailer did look intriguing though, as did the Watchmen teaser.

2. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    It looked neat. Plus it's His Dark Materials with the X-Men ( Prof. X and X-23).

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I still have my well thumbed copies of the books from when I was 10 years old.

There's stuff from the books that I'm not entirely sure will make it into the TV show, but I'm astonished at how expensive this looks for a BBC production. It looks far better than the movie adaptation of The Golden Compass, and it's been promised that the show will be far more loyal to the point of the books too. I'm really excited for it.

tom likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think you meant to say "It's His Dark Materials with ALEXANDER HAMILTON!!!"

@GrandAdmiralJello

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That's because it's made by HBO.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's not, the BBC commissioned the show in 2015. HBO ponied up some dough so they could own the international rights, but it's a Bad Wolf studios drama (There's a clue to who has a majority stake in the production right there in the name.) and is listed on their website as a BBC/New Line Cinema co-production.

While HBO did sign a partnership deal with Bad Wolf in 2015, according to wikipedia they only purchased the international rights for His Dark Materials this March.

EDIT: The press release in the thread @jp-30 linked to clearly states it's a BBC production too. If there's just one reason to merge the threads, it's to make sure that HBO doesn't get such undue credit for this production in future.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Fair enough.

Makes sense though that it looks expensive, because it has more money than the usual BBC production because of HBO's involvement.
    You want something epic, get the network that made Game of Thrones to help you out.
    And the studio that made Lord of the Rings.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Just saw this trailer. I'm excited--I loved the books. This series looks far better and more promising than the "Golden Compass" movie.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I saw that Golden Compass movie years ago, this the same thing where animals are a person's demon or something?

12. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh, okay, so where did the title "Golden Compass" come from if it is "His Dark Materials?"

14. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    "His Dark Materials" is the title of the trilogy of novels, "The Golden Compass," "The Subtle Knife," and "The Amber Spyglass."

(Oddly, the novel is only called "Golden Compass" in North America; elsewhere it's called "Northern Lights.")

Side note: Pullman is working on a second trilogy of novels set in the same universe with some of the same characters, called "Book of Dust."

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Amir Wilson has apparently been cast as Will Parry for the second season.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So this is one season per book?

17. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    It's not obvious yet - I mean, it looks that way, but it's always possible that they're blending the books a little, so you might get season one introducing Lyra and adapting half of Northern Lights, whilst season 2 introduces Will in a parallel story to Lyra's Bolvangar adventures. It depends how long they want to string things out for (though having said that, the kids will be aging visibly so maybe that's not an option).

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Ageing doesn't matter so much, especially as Pullman's next book is a sequel so Lyra would be older anyway

19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003

Well I'm looking forward to this, it's looking very nice, imo.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The casting looks a lot better in this one. I always imaged Lee Scoresby as a younger guy and I couldn't get why they cast Sam Elliot in the previous version (especially considering it doesn't fit his role in the later books). Although Nicole Kidman was not a bad Mrs. Coulter.

jp-30 and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Lee is supposed to be pushing sixty in The Subtle Knife, I understand (it's been a while since I read the books).

22. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    It's been a while for me too but I seem to recall Lee be being close to retirement age.

Anyway, I agree that Nicole Kidman was excellent casting in the movie, though this access seems great too. James McAvoy does look like he'll be a better Lord Asriel than Daniel Craig, though.

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    https://www.slashfilm.com/his-dark-materials-tv-series-update/

So the first two seasons have been filmed back-to-back to minimise the obvious aging of the kids; and the director has mixed up the events of the books in places, bringing in some elements earlier (though he doesn't make clear which elements those are).

24. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Andrew Scott has been cast as "Jopari"

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003