main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph BBC to Adapt 'His Dark Materials'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Nov 3, 2015.

1. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Personally I found this episode a bit patchier than the last two, but still enjoyed it. There were a surprising amount of inserted scenes that are not in the books (notably Mary and the children and... the other 'thing' *no spoilers*). ;)

I had a particular problem with the two chase scenes, especially the one where the kids of Cittagazze chase Lyra and Will. That was a far tenser and more drawn out scene in the books, and they were in real dire straits.

I know what's coming in the final episode... :(

Ruth Wilson as ever remains a highlight; and yeah, definitely Ariyon Bakare. I legit laughed out loud at his speakers comment from the earlier episode!

Intriguing scene in the Magisterium where the alethiometer readers discover that Lyra has another name. That's from the beginning of book 3. And yes, the show watchers will find out, because it's key to her role in this story.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The HDM Facebook page posted this time-lapse video of the construction of the Cittagazze set. I genuinely thought they were filming in some Mediterranean village.
    https://fb.watch/2qgjKlYSfg/

CairnsTony likes this.
  3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I’m finally all caught up on the series. I’m highly impressed how closely this show has followed the books. Even the added scenes that aren’t from the books fit the story perfectly.

Next episode, ho boy.
    Lee’s final stand was my watershed moment from book 2. I have no doubts they’ll pull it off beautifully. I’ll just have to brace myself when it comes.

Count Yubnub and CairnsTony like this.
  4. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I never thought the theme tune could sound good on a guitar, but this is a brilliant adaptation; and he manages to incorporate both the violin and cello parts more or less at the same time!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    OK, I saw the season finale =D=:_|

To other people who are watching: there's a (very brief) post-credits scene that you shouldn't miss.

Jedi Ben, timmoishere and CairnsTony like this.
  6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I wonder if the Asriel scene was filmed instead of the episode focusing on him or if it was meant to be a part of it.

Lee and Hester's deaths were really well done. Definitely a lump in throat moment.

I'm glad they changed John Parry from being killed by a vengeful witch to a Magisterium soldier. Never liked that in the books.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    The Asriel scene was filmed during lockdown and kept hush hush so it came as a real surprise to everyone.

Which suggests to me that they may not film the missing episode; which is a pity, but at least if season 3 is green-lit, then they will just roll on with book 3 content.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    As I suspected, Lee’s death was a real tearjerker. Too they didn’t use my favorite line from that scene (“Shame to die with one bullet left, though.”)

I liked that brief glimpse of Roger inside the world of the dead. That’s one segment I’m really looking forward to next season.

9. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know what the future holds but writer Jack Thorne did indeed say that creating the Lord Asriel episode at this point "wouldn't be quite right," so unless someone is going to have a change of mind I don't think we're going to get that. Which is too bad, but blame COVID. At this point though I think it's fair to say that we're lucky if we're going to get season 3 at all, so I'll take what I can get.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    CairnsTony likes this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Jedi Ben, ladygrey45 and CairnsTony like this.
  11. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Now how are the mulfea going to look

CairnsTony likes this.
  12. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I’m pretty sure they’re going to try hard to keep that a secret for as long as possible :)

CairnsTony likes this.
  13. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I began re-reading the Amber Spyglass a few weeks ago, to remind myself of how the story played out. I'd forgotten how Mary found the mulefa world for one thing. That's going to be a ton of CGI...

Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Wheeled. Elephants.

15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
  16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Trailer for the third and final season has been released, starting on December 5th.

That trailer seems to have covered all the major story events of the third book, except that the mulefa are nowhere to be seen. I’m actually happy about that. I don’t want to see what this show’s version of them looks like until they’re actually on the screen.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Ghost, tom and Count Yubnub like this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, that does look awesome. I was slightly worried about the harpies, but we do get to see one and it looks great. So I don't think we'll have to worry about the mulefa.

18. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Here's a trailer that can be watched in the UK:

So much in there! Harpy, angels, the intention craft, gallivespians, and is that the crystal cage we see at 1.50?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Looks like a cross between a chalicothere and a macrauchenia.

I thought they were supposed to have two limbs coming out sideways, and one in front and one at the back. Maybe the showrunners decided that would be too difficult to bring to the screen...

Here's an extended trailer that briefly shows a bit more of the mulefa homeworld as well as lots of other goodies:

soitscometothis and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I think that design looks pretty good. I’d need to see it in action (and obviously they’re hiding the wheels from us) but I’m happy with this design.

22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I don’t mind the lack of the diamond-shaped skeleton, as long as they have the wheels. Perhaps that diamond design was too impractical for the SFX crew, especially if Mary is going to be riding them as she did in the book.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The third and final season premiered tonight. I won’t watch it until the morning due to other commitments, but it’s good to bump this thread up.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay wait so . . .

I have literally never heard any human being reference this show at all. Is it actually out? What happened?

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    UK drop date for the third series is 18 December.

Wocky, you're US-based right? As over there it is deemed Not To Be Spoken Of. For it is evil propaganda worse than the infamous Harry Potter.

More seriously, the books are good but they are also just that, books. Read them, enjoy them, move onto the next story. There isn't merchandising and other stuff, so probably is more low profile due to this. Plus those cultural factors, as Pullman has been very open about it being built around an atheist response to the christianity CS Lewis wove through Narnia.

soitscometothis and CairnsTony like this.