main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Be Excellent to Each Other: Bill & Ted (Face the Music)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 20, 2019.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ future proof that Face the Music is legit amazing hahhah. Also gave Galaxy Quest a rewatch too which is still amazing. Dean Parisot needs to do more things.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

So, their characters were swapped.

Juliet316 , BigAl6ft6 and Sadie Erso like this.
  4. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Yeah, I think that Face the Music was most TRIMUPHANT, excellent, and all the other verbs/adjectives that Bill and Ted said. It really made me want to be excellent to each other and "PARTY ON!!!"

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    PVoD making cash money for Bill and Ted Face the Music, also release dates for digital purchase (Oct 20) and BluRay (Nov 10)

EXCLUSIVE: With the domestic box office still ailing, studios have been keen to make their finished films revenue events to the widest audience possible, maximizing profits by whatever means.

For MGM’s Orion, that meant releasing the long-awaited Keanu Reeves-Alex Winter threequel Bill & Ted Face the Music on Premium VOD and whatever theaters would play it (as the top big three circuits and some mid-sized theater chains don’t play day-and-date theatrical PVOD titles; Bill & Ted 3 was booked at 1,007 theaters, its widest point on opening weekend). The pic in its stateside theatrical release via United Artists Releasing has grossed $3.3 million since its August 28 opening, but in the pic’s PVOD run sources tell us Bill & Ted Face the Music has notched around $32M. The movie hit theaters on a weekend that 62% of theaters were open. Bill & Ted Face the Music was available on PVOD for $14.99.

The movie directed by Dean Parisot cost an estimated $25M, but MGM didn’t finance the title; rather, it took a domestic distribution for a fee in the low percentile vicinity of 15%. It’s important to note that MGM, as opposed to other studios that are sending their features to PVOD, had no skin in Bill & Ted Face the Music outside of $15M in estimated marketing costs. The studio, after its deal with cable and digital providers, will see an 80% take of Bill & Ted 3‘s PVOD monies for an estimated $25.6M. Out of that comes MGM’s distribution fee of $3.8M, plus it will recoup the $15M ad bill.

MGM was generous with those non-big-circuit theaters who booked Bill & Ted Face the Music, with some exhibitors telling us the split was quite favorable to them at 70%, which yields roughly $1M in theatrical rentals for the studio. That leaves Bill & Ted 3 with $7.8M in revenue before video and TV costs.

Still, film finance sources agree this puts MGM in a good position to profit down the line, even if the outlook on downstream windows such as digital (October 20) and Blu-Ray/DVD (November 10) are opaque. Even though MGM didn’t have foreign on Bill & Ted 3, and the movie won’t benefit from its rich TV foreign output deals, the big-swing moneymaker here on the threequel is possibly pay TV. It’s not clear if MGM is putting the movie through its Epix pay-TV deal or negotiated a separate rate with another pay cable network, but if it’s the latter, it’s gravy according to sources, and could possibly realize another $10M-plus.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm definitely watching this on blu-ray, may even watch the whole trilogy at once. Most excellent!

Sadie Erso and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait, it's strange that they're focusing on the marketing and distribution fees and (reduced) ancillary revenue for MGM, but indicate that they didn't finance it. If MGM is, essentially, just barely breaking past even into profit on the film for just their costs... that leaves around $8.7m (probably less) between theatrical and PVOD revenue combined to go towards the actual production costs that Hammerstone paid. $8.7, out of a $25m budget. MGM may be making money off of the movie, but the people who actually made it might actually be getting really screwed here.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    ILOVETHEMOVIES!!!!
    My sister was disappointed with this one but I don't understand why! its EXCELLENT!!!!! :)
    I mean, it actually makes SENSE for the first time ! :)
    I can't wait till I get it on DVD/Blu-Ray!!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Just saw Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves on Tonight Show, fun to see them in an interview actually together. fun fact, all in prep for the movie they didn't actually do the voices/characters until like the night before shooting

Also most excellent Time Magazine named Face the Music #10 on it's Top 10 of the year (Easily in my own top 10 too)

11. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    This... was just... EXCELLENT!!!

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.