main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Beam me up, Scotty! Star Trek: The Original Series.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Feb 3, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    322: The Savage Curtain:
    -Premise: Kirk and Spock meet Abraham Lincoln and Surak of Vulcan and must do battle with some of history's most terrible villains.
    -T2Q Comments: Yes. Space Lincoln. Followed by the ominous end-of-teaser music. dunt-dunt-dahhhh! "Do you still measure time in minutes?" "We can convert to it." and what have you've been using...
    [image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/nakedtime/chronometer_old.jpg]
    "more THAT direction" line by Spock pretty funny; the whole "to beam or not beam" dillema is silly- why not either beam a probe down to test conditions on the surface or use a shuttlecraft?; Cool rock creature though; lots of reset button dialogue at the end though. Overall the episode has an "Arena" redux feel to it, but it's executed better, and normally I'd probably give this a "good episode" ranking, but...it's Space Lincoln. It can't get that high a ranking. However the evil characters here are mentioned later on, so this decent-to-good episode will fall into the "Potentially Essential, But Not Ncessarily Good" category. Space Lincoln.

323: All Our Yesterdays:
    -Premise: Kirk, Spock, and McCoy become trapped in the past of another world.
    -T2Q Comments: This episode actually had some great ideas- escaping the destruction of a planet by traveling to it's past, etc. And, for the msot part, it's executed well but certain aspects really detract from the episode severely. The 3 musketeers history setting is way too earth-like to not be distracting, especially with all the talk of witches. The devolution of Spock due to timeframe he's in is really stupid- he wasn't "prepared" so no changes should happen. Never happens in other time travel stories, and even if it did happen- why wasn't McCoy affected? In the end these aspects distract enough to lower an otherwise god episode to "average" status.

[image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/yesterdays/new_yesterdays_01.jpg] [image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/yesterdays/new_yesterdays_02.jpg] [image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/yesterdays/new_yesterdays_03.jpg]
    [image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/yesterdays/new_yesterdays_04.jpg] [image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/yesterdays/new_yesterdays_05.jpg] [image=http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/yesterdays/new_yesterdays_06.jpg]

This episode also provides us our final TOS entries in the Time Travel Log:

-TOS: All Our Yesterdays (2700 BC, Sarpedion Ice Age; NCC-1701 crew; from 2268)
    -TOS: All Our Yesterdays (Undefined 17th Century-esque Sarpeidon; NCC-1701 crew; from 2268)
    -TOS: The City on the Edge of Forever (1930: NCC-1701 crew; from 2267)
    -TOS: Assignment Earth (1968: NCC-1701; from 2268)
    -TOS: Tommorow is Yesterday (1969: NCC-1701; from 2267)
    -TOS: The Tholian Web (2154 (Mirror Universe): NCC-1764 Defiant; from 2268)
    -TOS: The Naked Time (2266: NCC-1701 goes back in time 3 days; from 2266)

324: Turnabout Intruder:
    -Premise: The Enterprise is in danger when Janice Lester, one of Kirk's former lovers, steals his body.
    -T2Q Comments: Alright! Vice Versa 2! Awesome! I hope they still have Fred Savage in this one... ;)
    The feminine delivery by Shatner is really not needed and makes no sense; episode tries to have a strong sense of continuity by referencing several previous episodes, but then drops the ball when Spock says they haven't encountered life transfer capabilities before, when, yes, you have- in "Return to Tommorow". Another annoying thing about this episode is that the whole problem has a very easy solution: have them reveal info that only Kirk would know which is not public record. Sulu's refusal at the execution notion is a very good scene. Shatner's expressions during seizures- priceless, gotta put that on the horsey reel...; Overall, a strangey sexist themed episode about women being terrible captains and being reinforced by Janice's temper atntrums and ruthlessness.
    "Average".

The human adventure continues...up next: Star Trek: The Motion Picture[/b

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    When Conan said, "I'll get to all your plugs," I REALLY wanted him to bring up Shatner's hair.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Wow... If ever there was a ringing endorsement to stay away from late-night talk-show programs, that was it. What a bunch of putzes!

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That interview wasn't that bad- it was pretty funny, at least. Conan in general, though silly, is quite entertaining (he's had some great bits since he relaunched). He's not quite as good an interviewer as, say, Letterman, but he comes across as a much more likeable person, and he's far funnier than Leno's middle-of-the-road safe schtick. He doesn't have the biting satire of Colbert or the pointed discussion and influence as Stewart, but they're different types of shows.

6. starwarsobesses

starwarsobesses Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2008
    I love the original series. This was always my favorite trek tv series. My favorite characters are Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Scotty.

My 5 favorite episode:
    1. The Trouble with Tribbles
    2.City on the Edge of Forever
    3.Amok Time
    4. The Gaileo Seven
    5. The Enterprise Incident.

7. hansolorcks

hansolorcks Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2008
    I love the original series because it is so awesome

my favourite episodes are
    Space Seed
    The city on the edge of forever
    The Enemy within
    The Enterprise Incident
    Amok Time
    The Trouble with Tribbles

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    the visuals were fine.
    I can't imagine, however, anyone wanting to listed to the noise that went with them by choice.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's definitely not something I'd intentionally listen to outside of that context, no. [face_sick]

11. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Funny but scaring :eek:

Also, I am kind of surprised "Court Marital" did not end up higher on your list, 2nd Quest. I honestly found it to be an interesting episode of the inner workings of Starfleet. But, I guess "The Menagerie" serves a similar purpose, with the court proceedings and punishments for breaking regulations.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Here was my review entry for that one- to me, in general, Trek (up to DS9/late TNG) just tends to have a lot of problems doing a good court story. I tend to find those episodes poorer, on the whole, and Court Martial was no exception.

13. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Thank you for reposting the review.
    I can see your points, but while some of the plot points in it are a little rocky, I think that the episode as a whole reflects a general way of Starfleet functionality, which adds a bigger dynamic to the show than just the Enterprise show's up, solves the problem and moves on.

I really wish they would have a show about another TOS era ship and crew, just to show how big the fleet really is.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    For some reason, I was in the mood during the last two weeks to revisit Trek 2-6.

2: still one of the best sci-fi action movies. Holds up extremely well visually and thematically. Aside from a couple of nitpicks that have been gone over endlessly by geekdom, this is probablly the best trek movie. Period. That is why they keep trying to redo and remake it, and fail. Inspite of the shallow and pathetic immitations, this one stands strong.

3: not popular, but a very good continuation from 2. I think it works well. Doesn't deserve nearly the bashing it gets. Best of the Odd movies, and better than 4.

4: painfully dated. And over-rated. Didn't like it at the time (couldn't have told you why then). I know it was intended to be light & fluffy, but there is so much about this flick that is wrong or just plain stupid. If they'd tacked the bit about voting to return to earth and the trial & new enterprise onto the end of 3, it would have been better.

5: ouch. Still the worst of the original 6. Tons of stuff doesn't make sense. No, no point in flogging it further. Trek 1 is slow and poorly paced, but at least it makes some internal sense. This thing... ug.

6: not as good as 2, but damn close. Couple of flaws. Netflix instant download is the shorter theatrical release, instead of the VHS/DVD version with about 2 minutes more and Rene Aberjonouis.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, we joke that it's actually Star Trek VI: the Apology.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    When I was doing the movie reviews in the Trek film thread, after V I joked "Up Next: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country aka "We Are Damn Sorry."".

VI is an effective epilogue to the events of the trilogy- tying in the tensions with the Klingons, Kirk's son, and various other elements well, or at least touching upon them.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Plus, it was a pretty decent allegory for Chernobyl & Perestroika.

18. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Will agree with you up to a certain point. 5, while not strong, had some good moments. It is a guilty pleasure of mine to enjoy that movie.

Star Trek 6 and 2 definitely tie for best Trek movie, but 6 edges out for me, although SFDerbies has a fascinating video review about Trek 2 and the various literary allusions in the film.

19. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Quite, While it's a touch aged in appearance and the action is a bit old school...it is the high point of that school, and serves it's story well by it...probably the best written of the original films.

As a kid, this was my favorite until 6 came along...2 only grew on me as I picked up on things as I aged...that I didn't get the creeps from the critters in the ear anymore...too much.[face_worried]

Visually, 3 blows you away...Spacedock alone makes that movie for me...the 01 crashing...The Vulcan Temple...just visual POWER. The story is thinner then 2, but the character interaction is better.

Where the character interactions of 3 left off, 4 picks them up...and it is assumed that it will carry the movie...and at the time, and for most, it does. The inside jokes, the dry wit, the awkward realities are all there...and the additional "dating" adds to this humor...the punk with the boom box on the bus is particularly chuckle-worthy...it's a snapshot of that time, as opposed to when the film came out and it was "The crew visit 'our' time".

Bit preachy with the environment message...but they don't dwell on the message too much, and the process to solve the problem is well designed in script and on screen.

You can feel the cheapness...the claustrophobic sets, the TNG reworks...the whole final encounter with the being looks like something from a theme park effects show. With the exception of the beginning at Yosemite, which grabs some of that character gold from 3 and 4...this one is just a sad phoned in job.

My favorite...it only beats out 2 by having a "feel" to its environment and gadgets that just felt more "real" and less "set and prop" like. One of my absolute favorite moments in any film is when Valeris is piloting out of spacedock and they zoom in on her working the station...for perhaps the ONLY time in the history of the franchise, what she does looks like it could make sense...and the instrument panel looks GOOD...not a couple blinkers and a dial.

Visually "sleek", though not as awe-inspiring as 3. Intricate plot, though not as vitally linked to the characters themselves as 2.

"I've been dead before"...best line ever delivered.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, one subject briefly hijacked the Clone Wars Continuity thread over in Lit earlier in the week, and it's an interesting timeline-related one to bring up- of TOS, what years of the 5 year mission is it showing us?

Some possibilities/claims that were brought up:

-The three seasons are Years 2, 3 & 4, with the Animated Series being 5.
    -"Where No Man..." is Year 2, the three seasons are 3, 4 & 5 (stated by the Star Trek Chronology (which apparently bases it on a reference in the Menagerie that means it has to be a Year 3 framestory), though it was apparently outdated by an episode of Voyager that had Year 5 happen a year later than the Chronology assumed).

Thoughts?

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    The version I heard was that the cartoon was the 2nd 5-year mission, which ended just before Kirk's promotion and the Enterprise refit.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Idle curiousity: does anyone know whay Chekov never got his own command? Or does he in some book? Did starfleet attach some stigma to his career? "Well, when you were First Officer of the Reliant, you allowed an evil psychopath to put mind-controlling worms into his ear and yours, so we can't trust you with a command." Or some such? Seems unfair. After all, how many mind-altering experiences did the original crew go through. Sulu went dancing through the halls topless swinging a fencing sword, and he got to be a Captain.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One of the video games,Shattered Universe, had a plot where the Excelsior accidentally crossed over into the mirror universe, where he encountered an Enterprise-A commanded by Mirror Checkov, but that's the only thing that comes to my mind (but then I haven't read any of the books and such).

That was actually a very cool game production- not only did they have Takei and Koenig reprise their roles for the voices, but they opened it up as if it was an Excelsior-centric Star Trek TV show, complete with it's own spin on the opening narration (instead of "Where no man..." or "Where no one..." they instead use "Where nobody...") which I thought was a very neat little touch.

24. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, I know that by the book Vulcan's Soul: Exodus (which happens about a year after the Dominion War) he's already an admiral. When and how that happened I can't say. I haven't read a lot of Star Trek books in recent years.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait, Chekov is alive in TNG-era?