main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Beatles Get Back on Disney

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fifi Kenobi, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Didn't see a thread on this so please forgive me if I missed it. I've watched the first two parts. There is so much to absorb in this movie. John and Paul's musical telepathy, Yoko's lack of boundaries, the songwriting process of the Beatles up close, the fashion, the toast, the tea, George's exit and re-entry, Billy Preston bringing the needed spark. What are your first impressions and thoughts?

They were only in their late twenties when this was filmed.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    We've only watched the first two thirds of the first episode so far. It is fascinating viewing, and most of it is previously unseen footage (there are a few bits that are included on the Let It Be film).

For me, the best bit was Paul just riffing on his bass, with George and Ringo looking on (John was late) and slowly Get Back began to emerge, like the primordial dust and rocks coalescing to form the planets of the Solar system. :)

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, didn't realise this was straight to D+.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The excessive use of DNR ruined it for me :(

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I reckon those lads could do well.

Pensivia and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Is the DNR as bad as the trailers made it look?

7. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I have literally no idea what DNR stands for.

8. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    (whispers/ I'm glad you said it)

9. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I'm not afraid to invite ridicule, by having the temerity to demonstrate that I lack knowledge in a number of areas. In other words, I don't care admitting that I haven't a clue, in this instance. ;)

Pensivia, Jedi Ben and gezvader28 like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Digital noise reduction, it automatically removes dirt, noise, and grain from film but if you overdo it you can accidentally remove real detail and create a sort of plasticine effect.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  11. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I remember when Get Back went to number one. My mum quite liked it, but absolutely hated the follow up, The Ballad of John and Yoko.

Yes, I'm old.

12. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Yeah, that was cool. I also really enjoy listening to John "rapping" and coming up with hilarious lyrics spontaneously.

Do Not resuscitate? I know, I read what it meant upthread. Too much to enjoy to dwell on that aspect.

@CairnsTony

I was 8 in 1969 and the Beatles were a huge part of my childhood. I loved this record.
    It is interesting to watch the Yoko and Beatles dynamic fleshed out more. I can draw me own conclusions.

Dirty Maggie Mae in what sounds like a Glaswegian accent or a very Northern English accent is also a treat.

13. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I was four.

The earliest song I can clearly remember was Fire, by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown. For a three year old, it was bloody terrifying.

14. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I have noticed some dialogue has been attached to different footage , but I can forgive that .

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Beyond Digital Noise Reduction. Wasn’t some sort of frame creation / motion smoothing used on some footage so picture and audio match up? That’s what Jackson did with his WWI movie and I thought that same break through technology was used here. In fact it’s what allowed the project to happen. My understanding is there were technological issues with the original footage that in its time did not allow the true vision of the movie to created on screen. Mainly the large number of footage from separate cameras not syncing up.

Also that DNR might have to do with a possible 3D conversion that would have been part of the movies original 2 hour-ish theatrical release concept.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I also can't stand the Drummer Named Ringo.

Pensivia, EHT, Bor Mullet and 4 others like this.
  17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    3D version?! oh god can't they just stop.

18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Finished watching Get Back Part 3 this morning. It's quite good, and a lot of material to take in. There are some sad scenes and some hilarious scenes and some truly magical moments.

Having the calendar days marked off was interesting as you really get a sense of how unmotivated and slow moving they were working in January of 1969 compared to most of their career. It's remarkable how they pulled it together at the last minute to at least do the rooftop concert as some of those run throughs did not sound too good. I do realize they were often still writing the songs as they rehearsed them. I'm just comparing it to the earlier days when they might record three hit songs, do a radio interview, and then play a concert all in one day! And then do it again the next day.

The Beatles: Get Back is terrific. I'm sure I'll be watching this and analyzing it with my Beatle friends for years.

Pensivia, Bor Mullet and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think any idea of 3D was dropped when Get Back went from a feature length theatrical release to three night mini-series documentary.

That said - They Shall Not Grow Old really benefitted from 3D. One of the best 3D movies I ever saw.

Fifi Kenobi and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s incredible.

My favorite moment was John saying “Tuscon’s in Arizona, right?”

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Watched the first part. It really is an amazing document. You can see how hard it was for them to get things together and how much they lost when Epstein passed away. Paul had to take charge, but at the same time, you can understand why George resented it. It's really fun in parts and sad in others.

22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I've watched the first two parts, and have enjoyed every bit.
    My favorite Beatle is George, but I'd say Ringo is giving him a run for his money. Some of Ringo's silent reactions are comedy gold. It's like he's the Harpo Marx of the band.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    George was the soul of the band, I think. Pushing them to go deeper. You can see later from George’s solo work (the excellent All Things Must Pass for example…) vs. Paul’s (his best, like Ram and Band on the Run, IMO don’t come close to George’s best in my view) that the former was made to be a solo singer-songwriter while Paul thrived most in a band and in harmonies with other gifted lyricists (he was a genius in a collaborative environment, and clearly John’s twin spirit). And Ringo was the kind of reliable drummer that most bands can only dream of. All in all, I didn’t think something could increase my appreciation for the band. But this documentary did just that. Good goin’ Pete.

24. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Completely agree. With regard to Ringo, his critics don't understand that he pretty much had perfect timing. In the recording of any of their albums, he made the fewest mistakes of any of them with timing. It was the main reason the others wanted him to join the band-- he did the simple things perfectly.

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    DNR must be terrible and all, but as a record of a collaborative creative process it helps to have the distractions of poor film quality removed. Jackson provides labels to tell us who's in the room and subtitles over muddy discussions. Overall it's really relaxing. George quitting the band was the most quiet and understated thing ever. No one would ever play it like that in a movie although of course they were making a movie, and he knew the cameras were rolling, so I take it back.