main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Behind the Scenes of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TCF-1138 , May 13, 2020.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I wonder if there's footage out there of Colin Trevorrow working on early EpIX drafts.

2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Probably pulling his hair out.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Not a draft, but here's him with a model of a new TIE variant his film would have featured:

4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    #ReleasetheTrevorrowCut

Lulu Mars likes this.
  5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Where does this Remnant get such wonderful toys?!?!?

[​IMG]

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    DOTF is truly one of the biggest what-if scenarios of all, because two years of work went into it before Trevorrow left and they basically restarted with Abrams. It's not like the Lucas scenario where Iger made clear that Disney and Lucasfilm were under no obligation to follow his treatments. Nor is it like Solo which still retained much of the world building and narrative established by Lord, Miller and the Kasdans. Kennedy herself said that there was an agreed upon direction for Trevorrow's film before Fisher passed.

indydefense likes this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don’t know if “agreed upon direction” quite fits, given that Leia’s biggest role in both DOTF and TROS is actually the same - connect with Ben and pull him back to the light towards the end of the film. Everything else changes, but that’s one solid single piece that remained the same.

I don’t think Fisher’s death threw them off track as much as wanting Ben Solo to get a hero’s ending did - they even had Trevorrow introducing whole new main villains in his last drafts to try and do that, and seemed to be struggling with the inherent wonkiness of wanting a non-Kylo Big Bad worth both a three film storyline and nine-film saga.

2Cleva likes this.
  8. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Kennedy's interview with Vanity Fair in 2017 indicates how much Fisher's passing changed the direction of Episode IX.

And sure, judging by that first draft of DOTF, Leia wasn't quite as involved as Han was in TFA or Luke was TLJ. But it was certainly her biggest role of the ST to date, especially in the third act. And so it seems Trevorrow couldn't figure out a way to keep Leia in the narrative after Fisher's death. Subsequent drafts allegedly had her die by the end of the first act, thus removing the possibility of her connecting with Ben, and I can't imagine that scenario was ever going to fly. Leia's role in redeeming Ben seemed to be an agreed upon narrative resolution as far back as 2014 (per the Art of TROS).

And yeah, additional random villains to counter Kylo also didn't help, although it's worth noting Tor Valum was already a factor in the first draft.

9. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think there was a lot more Leia in Collins version

10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think if Leia’s role in the prospective Episode IX was the main cause of dumping Trevorrow’s scripts, than the earliest script (DOTF) wouldn’t still most resemble the outcome of TROS in terms of using her. Trevorrow wrote that when he had Fisher still scheduled for the role, I believe, and if her usage wa s their biggest issue, than Abrams wouldn’t have kept *only* that aspect in the final film.

Kennedy, like Abrams, is just as likely to shift into promoter mode when BTS issues are discussed. Plus, she and Terio have inferred elsewhere the main preoccupation was with Kylo/Ben’s role in the story. I mean, she gave a 2019 interview that never mentioned the Fisher issue, and instead vaguely alluded to the “general sense fo where the story was going” that he supposedly wasn’t as privy to - which again aligns more with worries about Ben Solo’s redemption not being convincing enough to her and LFL.

And I mean, they had Trevorrow try creating a whole new main villain in Sollony Ren to usurp Kylo’s spot, and even that didn’t work. Tor Valium was really just a supporting character, not the main antagonist.

They were far more worried about Kylo’s redemption not being up to their expectations than they were about Fisher’s passing limiting Leia’s role.

11. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I think it's worth keeping in mind of course that Trevorrow and Connolly still have story credits on TROS, which is kind of funny. Clearly there were broad narrative elements they introduced in DOTF that took different shape in TROS (Leia reaching out to Ben, Force "draining" vs healing, Finn fighting alongside ex-stormtroopers, Kylo on Mustafar, a fleet of ships led by Lando saving the day in Act 3).

And even the villain to counter Kylo basically turned into Palpatine. If I remember correctly, Trevorrow even credited Abrams for that idea.

whostheBossk and darthfettus2015 like this.
  12. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Terrio said Palps was KK’s idea. And ID said he was only contacted to play Palps in 2017 or so.

Darth PJ likes this.
  13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Disney plotted a course for the future in 2012 and 2015 which drastically by mid-2017.

I think after The Force Awakens’ mega success, Disney was toying with the idea of another Trilogy that would be the further adventures of Rey that Leia would still be alive for. And Palpatine would return in this story. And it would have gone into production not long after the Sequel Trilogy concluded.

But then lots of things changed. The death of Carrie Fisher, plus the successful purchase 20th Century Fox, and the decision for Disney to change course to go all in on Disney+ radically altered their future. Owning Avatar meant Disney needed a lot less Star Wars movies. Disney+ meant more longer form series content.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think anyone can see that Carrie Fisher (unfortunately) was not a well woman in both TFA and TLJ... I can't believe this was lost on Lucasfilm/KK/Abrams et al. I don't know if they purposely underwrote Carrie's part in TFA/TLJ, but the idea that she would have a more substantial role in the 3rd film is, IMO, wishful thinking.

15. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Okay, so then I guess my question is if Palps was KK's idea, wouldn't she have suggested that to Trevorrow first? Of course, there were more issues with DOTF than just Kylo's arc.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Maybe she did suggest it to CT first.

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well really carrie looked better in TFA than she had in the years previously. lost weight for sure. they likely got these actors to get into the best shape they could health wise. and she lived to that point. so there was no reason to assume her life was gonna be cut short in a few years.

18. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I'll never forget this KK interview:
    Geez, how about you communicate the "general sense of where the story was going" to your Episode 9 director. This quote is one of the best ones to highlight the incredible stupidity of the ST development process.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  19. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I'd think Trevorrow would have given that a shot though, right? Especially since Palps had a cameo in DOTF as an old hologram message in Vader's castle.

20. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Wow, never seen that one. Truly pathetic.

21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I forgot that quote. Link didn't work so I googled the quote. One of the early returns was when it was first posted here in an oldie but goodie thread (I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary).

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...ut-this-the-haters-sanctuary.50052573/page-68

2 years later and the "Haters" were right about the cluster we got.

22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If it was just a suggestion, he could decide to try out something different first.
    ...but she could have suggested it after he'd turned in the draft we've seen, because she might then have realized that she really wanted a stronger main villain.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, they act like they can't have NEW conversations. It's not a huge disadvantage for someone you're actually talking to about things.

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think it’s possible that she suggested the idea to Trevorrow, and the hologram idea was where he thought it could go, and by then, her dissatisfaction with the plot, combined with Disney getting impatient with pre-production taking so long on a tight schedule, and Trevorrow’s somewhat inconsistent reputation in the business as it was, may have pushed them to a “wash our hands and start over” phase.

At which point, they probably know that what they really want is basically just an ROTJ storyline, and getting Abrams back for that seems like the safest bet because of how quickly he managed to get a massively successful ANH clone out the door.

They also might, at that point, have already noticed how *only* TLJ was coming out as the “auteur director” type of film they’d originally planned for, what with all the reshoots, BTS drama, and rushed production schedule the other films had - and that Kennedy herself was already moving quickly away from something even in TLJ regarding the main villain and focus of the story.

At which point, everyone understands they want a mercenary job and don’t know what the exact answer is, but everyone thinks they have part of it, and you get an Abrams film that he clearly worked at, but with less passion and more dogged determination, with a lot of input from a studio still thinking Kylo was the key.

25. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    It's clear that after GL's treatments were trashed the focus of the ST was to make deadlines, not telling a competent story.

JJ used that opportunity to try to redo ANH.
    RJ used to do it to get on his own soapbox.
    CT tried to make sense of it and couldn't.
    Iger calls in the favor to JJ to complete what he started.
    JJ came in, blamed the mess on RJ.
    Studio got more involved with TROS because they were hoping to avoid the mistakes of leaving someone alone like they did in TLJ because of the timeline.
    Think tank over people who really understand SW used a blockbuster formula to try to mask the lack of cohesion.