main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Being accurate toward the EU : does this look pretentious ?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BaronNoir, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    Let me give an example from my work

....Sure, this piece was not exactly aiming for university standards, as this was meant to be a story wrote about a professional gladiator pay-per-view event hosted by the station. One of the stars of this «sporting» event had been a heel «Mandalorian» whose gimmick was that he was the clone of Rohlan Dyre «Spikes», one fondly remembered heel from the Mandalorian Wars era, hence the need to present to the public the said Wars. Still, despite the remarkable lameness of this «angle»....

Is such kind of approach (using for an example a somewhat obscure fact from the EU) looks like a dedicated fan, or a fan that try to show off ?

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Most fanfic writers research what they are writing because a lot of the readers know the EU backwards and forward. And if they don't know what you are writing is canon they just assume you made it up. I don't see anything wrong with using obscure facts as long as you explain them and they fit the story.

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    IMO, it is a writer that is trying to stay true to the continuity of the universe and share what he/she knows/discovers from their own researching.

Believe me I will spend hours researching something and add tidbits here and there of what Ive found both to show the readers, 'hey look what I found, did you know about this?' or it spices up the story a bit with interesting facts. Often times my readers find it cool to learn something they didn't know before. Most of the time I think it just goes over their head.

I don't think its showing off, honestly. I think it just shows you know your material and you're a bit OCD when it comes to accuracy of that material :p

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm all for obscure EU. Like finding Easter eggs in a fic.

5. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I strongly support the utilization of obscure EU elements in fanfiction, and do so myself regularly (I often have 4-5 Wookieepedia windows open while writing), that's one of the cool things fanfiction is able to do, go back and expand on all the bits and pieces thrown in to the vast universe.

Personnally, I often put endnotes to chapters to reference obscure EU bits I've placed in a story, especially if they are occuring alongside user-generated references, as I don't want to give the impression that something I've included was my own creation when it wasn't.

order_67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.