main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ben Skywalker: So Much Potential, So Little Attention (Character/Development Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Obi-Wan21, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Ben Skywalker, his last appearance in the NJO was at the age of two. Yet attention has been drawn slightly to this 'new' addition to the Skywalker family. In the latest issue of SW Tales, one particular story is even set around a young Ben in his late teens. But he still goes un-noticed for the most part. Which I feel, is pretty sad, considering there's so much room for development in his character.

For those who don't know, Ben Skywalker was born in New Jedi Order, Edge of Victory II: Rebirth, which was written by Greg Keyes. He was named Ben since Luke thought possibly his old mentor was there through the birth. Either way, kewl name. [face_laugh] Mara looks to be dying, but Luke finds a way to join with her through the Force to defeat the disease that she had. Finally Ben is born, though the threat of him dying was always there. After that he grew to the age of two, and no more.

In my opinion, Ben could possibly one of the better, if not the best, character to come along from the NJO time. He has so much potential and so many possibilities.

That is where this thread comes in; after checking for approval from Kit' I decided to post this up. Hopefully to draw out a fandom for Ben and maybe get some good Fan Fiction and Discussions going on about this particular Skywalker.

And so, my first question of the thread arises: What type, if done, personality would you like to see Ben carry as he grows into his teens? Would you like to see him become reckless, impulsive, agressive, etc. like his Grandfather? Maybe even have a bad relationship with Luke? Or would you like to see a more by the Code Ben, loyal, pretty trusty, an Obi-Wan type? Which personality do you think would fit best for Ben, a Skywalker living in the shadows of greats?

(I'll post my thoughts to this later)

Anyone's Welcome To Join In! :cool:

Please see the link to the new Ben Skywalker thread in the last post. :)

2. Luke_Mara_Index

Luke_Mara_Index Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2004
    I've always thought of Ben as a little of both. As in, the kid knows how to have fun, but when it's time to get down to it, he knows his stuff.

[Oops, wrong username.]

3. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I'm glad someone has brought Ben to light. I've been writing a series of him and have been hungry for more authros to do the same.

There is so many places we can take him.

4. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    I've thought maybe he's a rebel with a "I have my whole life infront of me so why do I have to stand here and listen to this load of bantha poodoo" attitude. He knows he's something special, but since he's always in the shadow of his parents and the rest of his relatives, he has this need to prove himself as a seperate person. Also, he feels a little bit neglected by his parents because of those three years he spent in the Maw institution, and he's never forgiven them for that.

Ben has potential only limited by what we fanfiction authors give him. He is, in ways, the ultimate character for those who don't want an OC.

5. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Vongchild, I greatly agree with what you posted. He is the perfect template for those who don't care to use an OC, and want to go for 'canon' characters. Ben, being so young, can basically be whatever we choose of him.

Personally I go for a more dark Ben, carrying some traints from Anakin and a slight agitation towards his dad. And him wanting to be his own person and proving himself also fits what I try to bring to him. I have a slew of Ben fics that I've written, I just haven't posted them yet. For him to be so un-used I've been drawn to write more of him. And, in a way, he has placed himself as one of my top fave SW characters in the entire Star Wars Universe.

I also must note SW Tales #19 for being the first official appearance of Ben as a teenage Jedi Knight. In search of his father's, and grandfather's, former Lightsaber, Ben runs into a Dark Jedi clan who has it. My fave quote of that issue is when Ben ignites his (Anakin's) blade and the Dark Jedi all ignite their red blades. He stands ready and confidently states:

"Lay down your weapons. Or die."

That ends his story, though his showing in the story is at the end, it's well worth it. :D And is paving the way for Ben to grow in stories and become something.

6. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Hmmm. Don't know if I agree there, but it is wide open, since he's so young. I always saw Ben as a troublemaker and a prankster, but someone who knows how to get down to business when it's time to be serious. That trait would come from Mara, I believe. But it's wide open.

7. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    this seems stupid, but SW tales is a comic book, right?

I haven't been to the bookstore in weeks because theres these goths haunting the comic book and sci fi sections and I'm afraid of them.

8. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    [face_laugh] LMAO!!! Yeah Star Wars Tales is a comic book. Though I agree that some freaks go in to the comic store, I'm willing to move through that to buy my SW and Spidey! hehe. Plus I've got friends who work at my local comic shop.

9. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    *makes mental note to go to Forbidden Planet this weekend and search for it*

I've been a Ben fan since... well, since I read Rebirth. I agree he has some awesome potential and, depending on how the authors play out, he could be a great character.
    For some reason, I see a definite link between him and Anakin Solo. I can't figure out why, but it's always been in the back of my mind, and it was something I was going to explore in my Ben fic, although I've now stopped writing it. (though I may re-write what I've got and start it up again)
    I also see a link between him and Sekot. Not just the planet but the consciousness (... that's a word..). Hope there is.. that'd be a link with Anakin Skywalker, too, which I can also see.

When he's older, I see him as someone with a lot of empathy - kinda like Jacen, but much more. I suppose this links in with Anakin Solo, since I think both ideas come from the moment in Star by Star, where Leia's thinking of Anakin, holds Ben and he stops crying...
    I think he'll have a lot of Anakin's personality - quiet, pretty wise, mature and kind (... his JJK personality, that is. The early NJO books ruined Anakin, though Keyes recovered him in Conquest). But his link with Sekot - and, in a way, the Yuuzhan Vong, since he'll grow up in a galaxy that includes them - means his mechanical aptitude won't be nearly so good.
    He'll have a strong life force, good with the living technology (and an excellent pilot of living ships, though perhaps not so much with the GFFA ships... ;) )...
    I'm going a little specific here, I know, but that's the Ben I see, and the Ben that would've appeared in my fic, if I'd kept writing it.
    And he'd be a great sabre duelist. Definitely.

For now though, when he's in my fics, he's just a cute, empathic three year old, fond of causing trouble, yet exceptionally good at appearing innocent. He's sneaky, is our Ben, but so cute you just have to forgive him. ^_^

10. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Very interesting views, DJ. Though I've never really seen him as being a Jacen type. I always've seen Jacen as a fairly weak type. He doesn't ever want to fight, always talking and stuff. I think Ben would be a much more stand out guy. I doubt he'd back down for anything. He is a Skywalker, after all. :D As for being mature and smart, totally, I think he'd also have a good nack for building things and flying ships. Maybe even saving Jaina or Jag's butt a few times. Possibly even Han. hehe. If he couldn't fly an X-Wing or anything, but could living ships, I'd be slightly disappointed. I mean his whole family have been great pilots. I don't really see him having a connection with Sekot, from the way the books read every Jedi has some sense of Force in Sekot, but I think I might not be getting your meaning. Your fic does sound interesting nonetheless, if you ever do post it, I'd love to read it dude!

11. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    I still think he's going to end up being kind of rebelious. I just started a fic about him. Really angsty stuff. Gave him a red lightsaber just for fun. I mean, its okay for a good guy to use red, right?

Star wars- the only place where the bad guys wear white.

12. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I've always written him kind of ansty. He doesn't get along with his father, he resents the fact that he is so powerful in the Force but when it gets right down to it, he'll do what is necessary.

13. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Zara, that's alot of what I'm heading towards with my writing. The overall plot in all my stories is Ben coming to terms that he is one of Prophecy, he doesn't want that though. He isn't an exact Chosen One of sorts, as in my stuff I'm sick of re-using the Sith and Dark Jedi. That's old and so un-original to me. So I go far more cunning, tactical, type villians. I think they're my best creation yet. I personally love where I'm heading with my stories, I've got two down and the third on the way. It's much more dealing with Ben, as a Jedi and person, than an overall war. The villians and threats are basically a secondary plot, but it does keep you guessing.

14. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Wow, can I just say were almost on the same page. Although I have the Sith, it's more about Ben dealing with the abilities I've given him. And of course I've made him parentless, since I've killed Luke and Mara off. Terrible huh? But the ultimate enemy is far different from the Sith. I'm going to have to see what you've written.

15. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    You killed them?! I know he might not've gotten along with em, but yikes! LMAO. I personally choose to keep them alive, as it adds weight to the story, IMO. I've written some backstories set during Ben's early years, and I show how he slowly grows and how his relationship with Luke tears. Though he doesn't get along with him, he does do what is needed, and will jump in to help his dad. Another thing I follow in my stories is Ben sometimes goes to call him 'Dad', but cuts himself off and refers to him as 'Master'. Just a little throw in to show how Ben views the relationship. My stuff isn't exactly written in Book format, I write my Ben stuff in script form.

The Sith are an interesting villian, is not that I think stories are un-original and those who write them, just so no one thinks anything. But I find those who can't use the Force and can still manipulate things and use stuff to their advantage, and actually stand against a Jedi (My second Fiction focuses on Ben's first encounter with one) makes them more interesting. Plus those who believe they're doing the right thing; villians who aren't villians, so kewl. Though my baddies don't want to rule the galaxy, it goes much deeper. I mostly talk about my Fic series as a Mystery more than anything.

16. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Zara- that sounds a lot like my version. Could you be so kind as to look at my fic, Some Hero?

17. whats-her-face

whats-her-face Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    I'm really upset that Ben wasn't given any attention at all during the NJO. I mean, sure, when he's a baby he can't really do very much, but towards the end he should have been making some appearances.

I see Ben as a lot like Jaina. He has these parents who are famous for all the good they've done for the galaxy. When he's little, he wants to be just like them, but as he grows older he resents being in their shadow all the time and, worse, being held up to their standards. I could definatly see him going dark- trying to live up to the Skywalker name is enough to send anyone over the edge.

I haven't really read any Ben Skywalker fics, but now I'm really interested. Yea for character discussion threads!

18. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Though really towards the end he couldn't do much. He was only two by TUF, so seeing him go kick major ass seems out of the question. Even for a Skywalker baby. [face_laugh] Vongchild, I read Some Hero seems to have alot of promise! Now if only more'll start coming.

What do you guys think about starting a challenge? It'd be Ben based and would maybe start some Fiction movement for him aswell, plus it'd be fun. If you guys like the idea, I'm open to suggestions for the first one. :D

19. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    How did I miss this?

Anyway, I'm writing a fic with Ben as a central character, What Price Dreams.

I'm not likely to be posting it any time soon though, since its a sequel to a work-in-progress and I haven't finished the first chapter. ;)

20. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Ooo, look forward to reading it, when/if you do post it. I sometimes write sequels before I write where it begins. I find it to be more fun. Like with my Saga, I'm clearing out the ending, and now I'm in the process of outlining how it starts. It's gonna be a pretty big Saga.

21. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    I'm working on chapter 1 now.

So far I've got Ben figured as something of a trouble maker, although he can be serious if needed.

He's also in a budding relationship with Sandra MacMahan, despite the fact that she's made a career out of humilating him at laser tag.

Of course, one of the major differences between mine and most people's interpretations of Ben is that I can't really see him becoming a Jedi, not straight off anyway, simply because it's been 'understood' that that's what he's going to do.

22. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Its great to see a Ben thread. The title of this thread pretty much sums up my thoughts about the character. I have a completed fic about him so far, first of a series--link's in my sig. I think great things could be done with the Ben character, that he could even assume the role left unfilled by Ani Solo.

23. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    I dunno... My version of Ben is sarcastic and Angsty and against everything he doesn't want to do things as he is expected to do them...

Yep. Living up to your parents and relatives expectations is hard. My sister went to a really good college and won an award and was like... fourth in her class. so, life is hard when your relatives are overachievers.

24. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I don't think Ben and Luke would have a bad relationship, simply because of Luke's own horrid relationship with his father. Knowing Luke, he would work as hard as he could to make it as good as it could be with his son.

To write Ben well, I think you have to know his parents intimately. Think about their inherant traits (I.E--Luke's temper and Mara's analytical thinking skills) and decide which ones you think he would have. Keep in mind his grandparents and aunt/cousins, too. Then think carefully about how he'd react with different people.

25. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Luke_Mara_Index- I've always thought of Ben as a little of both. As in, the kid knows how to have fun, but when it's time to get down to it, he knows his stuff.
    I agree.

djcati- When he's older, I see him as someone with a lot of empathy - kinda like Jacen, but much more. I suppose this links in with Anakin Solo, since I think both ideas come from the moment in Star by Star, where Leia's thinking of Anakin, holds Ben and he stops crying... I think he'll have a lot of Anakin's personality - quiet, pretty wise, mature and kind
    I agree to a certain extent. I think personality wise he'll be like Jacen, only less passive like Anakin.

And he'd be a great sabre duelist. Definitely.
    You know it. He has to get something from his dad. ;)

EmilieDarklighter- I don't think Ben and Luke would have a bad relationship, simply because of Luke's own horrid relationship with his father. Knowing Luke, he would work as hard as he could to make it as good as it could be with his son.
    That's what I think also.

To write Ben well, I think you have to know his parents intimately. Think about their inherant traits (I.E--Luke's temper and Mara's analytical thinking skills) and decide which ones you think he would have. Keep in mind his grandparents and aunt/cousins, too. Then think carefully about how he'd react with different people.
    Makes sense.

Ok, here are my thoughts. As I have written him in my fanfic The Path of Lineage (well, the older version of him), Ben would be a lot like his dad, but with the rational decision making skills of his mom. I aslo think he would have the calmness that Jacen has thanks to his Aunt.

I remember someone saying something about him not becoming a Jedi right away. I wouldn't be to sure about that. I think he would follow the path of the Jedi, but I don't his dad will train him, or at least shouldn't because then he would feel he has to live up to Luke's legacy. And I don't think he'll become a pilot. He could have good mechanical skills, but I can't see him actually being a pilot.

Those are my thoughts.

-Vicster [face_pig]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.