main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ben Skywalker: So Much Potential, So Little Attention (Character/Development Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Obi-Wan21, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I dunno, I think Luke should be the trainer of Ben, it just seems to make sense. As for the relationship between the two, I still think an agitation towards his dad would be very interesting to read, more so than a Jacen type Ben. He has alot to live up to in the name of Skywalker, I just can't see him and his dad having a good relationship, or him being alot like Jacen. More like Anakin.

2. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I guess, but all we can really do is speculate. We'll never really know until a SW author writes it. Until then, he's whatever you make him to be. It really just depends on the person writing him and what the story is about. Sometimes a Dark Ben works better for a plotline and sometimes it doesn't.

I do agree with you on Luke training him. That seems like the most logical way for the SW authors to take it. But in my opinion if that's what happens, then Ben might have the chance of having a bad relationship with his dad. Then again, I could be wrong. I think that the best way for that not to happen at all would for someone else to train him.

*Shrugs*

-Vicster [face_pig]

3. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Thats what makes things fun, speculation has to height of the character, just think when some is officially released on him!

4. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    What do you guys think of the upcoming post-NJo trilogy in terms of Ben being grown?

5. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    It really depends on the time space, but I don't expect him to be old enough to have an impact on the overall story. I'm thinking five or six. I do know, he better not be one of the characters to die. Then I'll be holding Del Rey/LucasBooks hostage and re-do that part. MUWHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

6. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I'd love to see where they go with him. See how close to my own perceptions of his character I come.

7. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    What type, if done, personality would you like to see Ben carry as he grows into his teens? Would you like to see him become reckless, impulsive, agressive, etc. like his Grandfather? Maybe even have a bad relationship with Luke? Or would you like to see a more by the Code Ben, loyal, pretty trusty, an Obi-Wan type? Which personality do you think would fit best for Ben, a Skywalker living in the shadows of greats?

If I were to write Ben, he would be reckless, impulsive (not by the Code like Ben...I mean when was the last time we had an unconventional Jedi Knight in the books?). I would want Ben to be that one kid his fellow Jedi would worry about leaving alone -- but not because he would do something really dramatic like Anakin Skywalker. Just something reckless and impulsive. He wouldn't be an "out of control" kid but he would have just a little bit of edge to him that would drive Luke and Mara crazy!

~aeryn

8. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    If the trilogy's set five years aftere TUF, like some people are saying, then he'll be 7/8... So his personality should definitely be developed a little, but not solidly.

Hm.. I didn't quite mean that he'd be like Jacen... I mean, he'll be empathic, but he'll also be reckless and a lot like Anakin... Kinda like... he'll know what other people are feeling, he can understand their situation, he just might not always care and will do what he's wanting to do anyway.

I don't see him having a bad relationship with Luke though... People have suggested (maybe not in this thread) that he'll resent the years in the Maw, like Jaina resented her constant separation from her parents..
    Well... no. Because he was only there for two years, he saw his parents a few times during that, and there was a real war on. Y'know, while Leia could've made more time for her kids but didn't, Mara and Luke were actually out there fighting for the galaxy. I think Ben'll respect that.. And post-TUF, I doubt he'll be apart from his parents for any length of time.. heh.

Maybe he'll be more of a mechanical person that I had him pinned down as, but I still see something with Sekot there. Even if it's only based on that tiny scene at the end of TUF, it WAS very... hinting? Y'know?
    *stops saying "y'know" cause it's getting annoying*
    Well, maybe...

And I got SW Tales 19 on saturday. whee~
    yay for Ben... :D
    He's so cool...

9. petra_delling

petra_delling Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2004
    I was thinking about Ben, and it seems that when it comes to raising him, Luke and Mara would be careful not to make the same mistakes Han and Leia made. I mean sure the Solo kids turned out alright, but there was some pretty major turmoil about the elder Solos leaving the kids, especially between Leia and Jaina.

I can see Luke and Mara wanting to avoid this, but not being willing to give up their active careers. I woulk think that the solution might just be little Ben following them around. I mean, theyre two of the most powerful Jedi in teh galaxy, surely they can protect their kid, who, chances are will turn out to be a pretty darned powerful jedi too.

I think that could be one possibility... a little shadow Ben following his parents around until he got old enough to go his own way, and then who knows what could happen :p chaos, rebellion, the darkside, another good guy like his dad...

but then again there are some many ways this thing could go.... its makes me giddy thinking about all the things that could be done with him. :-D

poor little tyke.

10. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I wanted to add my input about Ben. I don't think I'll probably ever write about him, but if I would I could see him having a rebellious streak in him. Because he helped cure Mara of her deliberating illness, I think he could have some natural healing abilities. I can see him as a healer or maybe a doctor specializing in treating exotic illnesses.

But for now, he's just a little guy. I have a nephew that is Ben's age (well, if Ben's only 2 - 2 1/2, the nephew is older). I can see Ben being very mischievious as most toddlers are at that age.

He will probably have a terrible case of the terrible twos (Mara, with her temper, is his mother after all ;) ). But he will also probably have a soft spot for animals (like his cousin Jacen does).

He'll have traits inherited from his mother and his father, but I can also see him not wanting to be a Jedi as well - he might feel pressured.

I could actualy see him following Uncle Han's path of "specialized trading" (smuggling) for a little while, maybe as a teenager.

I hope my thoughts make sense. :)

11. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    That's crossed my mind a little too. Ben taking some interest in Han's early, younger, life. It could prove exciting. Han is just this cool guy that's Ben's Uncle, and Ben maybe looking slightly up to him for his attitude would be awesome, IMO.

12. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    I suggested ben would resent the years in the maw.

Keep in mind that time is relative in NJO. each book does not cover the same amount of time. Balence point and the edge of victory books spanned a period of nine months, but force heretic trilogy, another set of three books, spanned about half of that.

:) :)

I hope everyone is readin Some Hero!

13. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I think Ben will be a Jedi, but I think he'll be pushed away from his father's style, maybe his father himself. I can't see Ben conforming to his father's order--with Mara Jade as a mother and the celebrity family he's going to grow into, I think its inevitable that he'll spend a great deal of his life trying to find his own answers, and on his own terms.

14. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I definitely agree. Ben's going to be a lot different from anything we've seen before. I can see Ben being a Jedi and hating every minute of it, but knowing it was what he was meant to become. He'll try to have a definition of a normal life, but it just won't work. Destiny has a hand for him to play.

15. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Zara! I love you!

I've posted, perhaps 7 times now, that I've wanted to see Ben in a James Bond-esque situation. And then I looked at your sig! You're getting a new reader!!

I agree with your Destiny has a hand for him thing. Very accurate.

16. Lady_Claire_Marek

Lady_Claire_Marek Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2004
    Ben Skywalker is one of my very favorite characters. He has so much potential; the NJO left off at the point where Ben could be come practically anything. He could be a smart-ass or a pacifist, a lover, or a fighter, or an adventurer, or any combination of any trait that fate hands him. I really love Ben!

17. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Suzki, I had no idea. It just came to me the other night when I was thinking of a different way to tell Ben's story. I'm gald I could fulfill your wish.

18. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I gotta agree, Zara's got it down what my version of Ben is also. He hates being a Jedi, but he can't escape Destiny or Fate. Though, one thing that would be cool, as it's being done in my Saga, is Ben coming to terms with his Fate, but altering it slightly. Proving that you may have to go that path, but in the end, the final conflict is in your hands. You choose your own road through your destiny, as Anakin Skywalker could have been a great Jedi Master and destroyed the Sith, yet instead he fell to the Darkside, but still completed the prophecy in the end. Because it was his destiny, no matter the path you take. But that's just IMO.

19. Bobbacca

Bobbacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2003
    I liked djcati's idea of Ben having some sort of link with Anakin Solo. I've always kind of imagined him being a lot like Anakin and fulfilling the role Anakin didn't live to. I don't know if there is a logical reason for this or not though. As likely as any other explanations are simply that Ben was born slightly before Anakin died and Anakin was my favourite character so maybe I just think Ben should be Anakinish so it'll be almost like having Anakin back...but not quite the same. I was the same age as Anakin in any given NJO book when it came out and so I kind of came to see him as my counterpart in the SW universe.

20. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Im hoping he's more like his Grand Father, though he will be nowere near as powerful for obvious reasons, he still has the potential to be a very powerful Jedi (or Dark Jedi or Sith)

Has anyone got a picture of him from these 'Tales'? i live in the UK and no-were near a comic shop, so i will never have the joy of experincing this Tale *Weeps into his keyboard*

21. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Okay Obi-Wan, you have just about summed up my trilogy. I've made Ben a seer and he figures that he's bound by the future he sees, and it's basically about him coming to terms with being a person with immense power that he chooses his own destiny.

22. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Alixen - where do you live?
    Forbidden Planet gets SW Tales in, so if you can make it to one of those, you'll be able to get it. I got mine in the FP in Glasgow.
    I'd scan it in, but there's the tiny technicality that - I don't actually own a scanner.
    *sigh*

I really hope the post-NJO books don't just forget about Ben... I hope they actually make something of him.

23. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Naw, unfortunatly i cant get to one, im a sixteen year old unimployed male Art collage student whos (single and unmarried) mother has a fear of driving over 30/40 miles, and the nearest Forbbiden Planet is about 70 miles away.

Funnily enough i used to live in a city that had one and i only bought Marvel and DC comics from it.

Now, 5 years later, i live in a small town with 1 street lined with crappy shops and have been a Hardcore SW fan for 4 of those years, the closest thing we have to a decent shop is Woolworths, and i HATE Woolworths, it doesnt even get SW figures in ¬_¬.

Eh, at least it gives me time to create my Manga, though i would rather be spending my current incredible amounts of free time reading SW comics...

I cant even use Emule because it conflicts with my bloody AOL DSL connection >_<

Thanks anyway Man :) though if you get a scanner how about remembering me eh? lol

24. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I've got a scanner laying around here somewhere, I'll seee what I can do. Maybe even make some Ben avi's. I don't think he would have any connection to Solo, I'd rather him be his own person instead of becoming the Clone of Anakin, just cuz so many didn't want him to die. Now being slightly like Anakin Skywalker, that's different, the NJO time has never really had a true dark character, at least for my tastes anyway. Make him like his Grand Father, only darker, and not as whiney as him. I'd also think it'd be cool if Ben went in search of his past, then discover just where the Skywalkers have their role in things. Learn of Padme, his Grandfather, all the things that went on, even before the PT. I'd find that to be quite interesting.

25. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Yo Alixen...what exactly do you mean by "won't be nearly as powerful for obvious reasons." What are these "obvious reasons"? IMO, Ben will be as powerful or close either way (closely more or closely less). I've had this argument a million times but try your luck if you want to bring me for another go...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.