main
side
curve

Ben Skywalker: So Much Potential, So Little Attention (Character/Development Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Obi-Wan21, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    About Ben's power, I thought it was stated several times that Ben was quite powerful already and he was just a baby. When Anakin died and Luke nearly went into a spin dive, Mara reminded him that if he did, Ben would feel that.

The Emperor wouldn't have chosen Mara as his hand unless she exhibited a great amount of strength and we all know the Skywalker heritage.

There's also the fact that Luke and Mara had taken preventitive measure to not conceive a child because of her illness and yet Ben had been conceived nonetheless, because of the will of the Force.

Not to mention that when Ben was born, he and his parents somehow delieverd Mara from that same disease. No, Ben is definitely not your average Jedi.

2. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Plus, genetically, he'd be strong or stronger than Anakin Solo, even taking genetics into account.

3. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    I don't think he'd be a clone of Anakin... He might not even be all that similar to Anakin... But given the closeness between his birth, and Ani's death... y'know, that before NJO, Anakin was the best hope (of sorts) for the galaxy, and now Ben is obviously in that role...
    there's gotta be a connection between them.
    I mean... Ben's going to grow up, wondering just who this amazing hero Anakin Solo was, what he was really like... even if that's all it is... it's a connection.
    It's different to other kids who'll wonder about Anakin, because Ben's his cousin, Ben knew him, for only a few months, but he still knew him... But doesn't know him. If you know what I mean.

:\

And Alixen - I am continually bugging my parents about getting a scanner (I have a BUNCH of fanart that needs scanned), and they have to relent some time. :D

4. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I've got a strong feeling Ben's gonna end up being way more powerful than any Skywalker or Solo. His midi-count'll probably be well over 30,000. I mean this kid is a Skywalker, and son of two already powerful Jedi. Yeah, he's gonna top the charts of the Force.

5. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Is there an index of Ben stories. If not, I think I'll start one.

6. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Alright. There isn't--but you can start by adding my Torch of the Jedi series (Book 1 complete, Book 2 in progress) and I have a Ben viggie in the Beyond the Saga Summer Challenge. Then there's "Some Hero" by Vongchild, and thats all I can remember off the top of my head.

7. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Nope, there isn't. One would be kewl though.

8. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I think there is an index. just give me a sec.

Edit: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Writers_Resource/b10304/8448133/?15]Here it is[/link] *blows the dust off it.*

Edit 2: Perhaps we should start out with a fresh one? What do you think?

Edi 3: actually it would be better to start a fresh one, since the other indexs have become more updated and are easier to find stories on.

9. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Thanks man, it'll be great to finally see Ben :D

Parant? Relent? Keh, like that'll happen ;)

Explain why Anakin Skywalker is (or should) be stronger than Ben? Sorry man, im really not up for one of those Disscusions ;)
    Iv taken part in one two many, so i understand how futile they are :)
    Mine is my opinion, yours is yours, there is very little chance, if any, that we can change eachothers.

Didnt Lucas confirm A. Skywalker to be the most Powerful ever?
    Im not using that as an argument, I myself actually would like to know what he said, if anyone knows that is :)

10. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I'm not sure on Anakin Skywalker or not. He seemed powerful enough, but power doesn't always give you what you need. Obi-Wan obviously beats him in Episode III and I always had the feeling that Ben could have defeated Vader if he hadn't sacrificed himself to save Luke.

11. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I honestly haven't read any post ROTJ EU as of yet, but when I heard that Luke named his only son "Ben", being an Obi-Wan fan, it interested me. The first thing I thought of is, I wondered if he is somehow going to turn out to be a reincarnation of Obi-Wan Kenobi himself. I believe I read that Obi-Wan stopped being able to appear as a force ghost some years after ROTJ, so maybe... I'm curious as to what those of you who've been reading the NJO think about this. Ridiculous idea or entirely possible? Has anyone done a fic where he was Obi-Wan reincarnated?

sg

12. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I've never written him as Obi-Wan reborn, however, I have written him with some of Obi-Wan's characteristics.

13. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Obi-Wan reborn? No offense, but that'd be kinda silly. I mean a brand new character, a Skywalker, turning out to be an Obi-Wan Clone, that'd be sad IMO. I do see Ben being more powerful than Anakin, Obi-Wan does beat him, and I agree that he could beaten him as Vader also. I also agree it's not always about power. Having simply a strong connection with the Force could make Ben stronger, as long as he chooses the right path. Anakin was power hungry, obsessive over it, he never could gain the power he could have. He fell, and we all know the Darkside isn't stronger.

14. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    no offense taken, :) I was aware when I suggested it that not everyone would like the idea, though I still sorta do. :p It could be silly yes, if not done well, and done for a real reason, but I've always liked to think Obi-Wan may have "lived on" somehow. ;)

sg

15. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    This might be pushing it a little, but my main role playing character has been Ben Skywalker since before Vector Prime was published and long before Rebirth came around, so I figure I may as well throw in my two cents.

I usually play Ben as an older teen, and he's a lot like his grandfather. He's impatient, compassionate, horribly stubborn, and incredibly strong. Ben and Luke are very close, and Ben's his apprentice. Ben's not necessarily a "by-the-code" Jedi, but his sense of honor is huge, and he does plan on following in his father's foosteps. What he hates is most is his parents being so overprotective. Not Mara, so much, but Luke. And he does sometimes feel really trapped by his father's expectations.

16. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I like the above description of Ben, except I really can't see Ben being cooperative. At least, if I were in his shoes, I'd be trying to make my own way in any way other than prominent daddy's way.

17. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I would have to agree with Suzuki. I don't see Ben being a daddy's boy. However, I could see him being very close to Mara and Mara becoming the mediator between the two.

Ben would definitely have the Skywalker compassion and would occassionally take it to far into passion, but I see him not really getting along with any of the children his age.

18. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    Well, my Ben actually has a twin (remember, I came up with him before he was officially "written" into the universe), and she's more like Mara, so due to siblings not wanting to be the same and all, Ben isn't as close to his mother. I wouldn't call him a "daddy's boy," because as I said there's a lot of Anakin (Skywalker) in him, but the dedication to the Jedi springs from the Skywalker trait of passion, and it's also perhaps Obi-Wan's influence

19. trustno2

trustno2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2004
    I am not reading the StarWars books, but I've done a little research on the character and from the things I know now, I think Ben is actually Anakin Skywalker reborn. His mother got pregnant with him trough some forcehealing by Luke, so his actual father is the Force itself (like Ani). By the way I think somebody as powerful as Ani can find a way to resurect himself to bring peace to the probeled universe. Maybe his spirit went through Luke and into Mara.
    I don't know how the ghostly visions of dead Jedi are called in English and don't even know if it's possible, but I would like to see Yoda train the boy this would be cool, since Yoda was the wisest and most powerfull of all Jedi (900 years experince are enough to be more than qualified to be a good teacher).

20. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Obi-Wan could pop up as a clone if you wanted spirit. :p As for Anakin Skywalker, I find that kinda silly too. Anakin completed his destiny, to bring balance to the Force. He's dead and long gone, thank god. If a writer did that, he'd have to be pretty low to use a stupid setting like that, IMO. Instead of coming up with something actually original. Ben's his own person, if a writer did that, I'd abandon the EU post-NJO forever. As that would just be downright wrong. Of course, that's just IMO.

21. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I can't really see Ben being anyone reincarnated. I can see him exhibiting characteristics from his parents and grandparents, but to have him them reborn is just a little twisted. Besides we know that Obi-Wan was present at the time of Ben's birth and in my opinion Ben has a different destiny set out for him.

However, I would agree that his birth was an act of the Force, because we know that Luke and Mara had been cautious in that area. Not wanting to have a child until they were sure Mara was completely healed. Funny thing that it was through Ben's brith that such a healing took place.

22. trustno2

trustno2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2004
    Whoa Obi-Wan21, calm you don't have to call me stupid for my idea. At least you have to admit that they are much alike, because of their personalties and the way they were born (the Force as his real father).
    I'm pretty sure that his talents with the force are as great as his grandfathers, what will make him an even more powerful Jedi than his father.

23. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I'm confused by the implication of the Force being his real father. I won't argue that the Force had a hand in his conception, but I think Ben is directly Luke's son.

24. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Does anyone know of any red headed actors that might fit a young Ben Skywalker at 17. I just finished a Trilogy and was thinking of doing some cover art.

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    closest I could find for a red haired actor is either of the boys that were the Weasley twins in HARRY POTTER.

Both are about 18 years old though.

James & Oliver Phelps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.