main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And that was also easy. On to the finals!

AutumnLight91 and DarthIntegral like this.
  2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Wow, big win for Timbers on the road to advance to the finals. Blanco's goal was sweeeeeeet!

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    inty, we like berhalter for usmnt, right? i know it'll suck to lose him in columbus, but it sounds like this is the direction.

4. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I see so many Atlanta United shirts since they've started. They've really jumpstarted soccer here, maybe across the nation. So hopefully they win and give Atlanta a winning team since the 95 Braves.

I mean the Falcons should of had it but...
    [​IMG]

EHT likes this.
  5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, it’s just Atlanta United’s second season and they are huge here. Even last season they were breaking MLS attendance records multiple times, not to mention the other broken records like Martinez’s goals records.

My kids both play competitively, and Atlanta has a huge youth soccer scene. So the response to this team has been a pleasant surprise, but not a complete surprise to those familiar with that existing atmosphere.

6. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    I mean we had women soccer. I remember the Atlanta Beat, but for some reason the women kept getting, and still do her, screwed over.

I think with the NFL floundering, the Braves not getting into the playoffs past few years, Hawks being the Hawks, and the Thrashers being moved it was the perfect moment for something new, and ATLFC has delivered it

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's a good but not great hire, IMO. There were other candidates who probably would have been higher ceilings for the program without risk of a low floor (i.e. losing to ****ing T&T and missing the World Cup).

Positives:

Good resume - he played for the USMNT, he played in Europe, he coached (briefly) in Europe.
    Has an actual system. The team will have consistency match-to-match, and you will know what to expect. They are going to play their brand of soccer and bring that brand to the other teams.
    And, at the same time, he's learned to adapt that system when need be. Early in his Columbus career, he was possess-possess-possess no matter what, earning the moniker "Crewcelona". When a team came in with a plan - and the personnel - to disrupt that, the team suffered. There were a few embarrassing beatdowns to Houston and Kansas City. But, now, when he knows a team is going to be trying to disrupt that and be successful, he tweaks his tactics nicely.
    Knows the pool, knows how to scout. One of his best capabilities as Crew manager has been finding previously unknown/unearthed talent. Harrison Afful, Ola Kamara, and Artur are among those.
    Knows how to develop players - look at the growth Trapp, Steffen, Zardes and others have done under him.

Negatives:

Ugh. The MLS stigma is real. There's a reason why "MLS Coach" is a bad things in a lot of circles. He's never proven himself at a high level for coaching.
    There were other managers who probably would have taken the job if we'd just ****ing pursued them. I don't know how you don't interview Tata Martino, who is leaving Atlanta United for Mexico. Lopetegui is rumored to have wanted to take the job. Caleb Porter literally beat Berhalter for the Cup two years ago. Tab Ramos is doing wonders with the youth national team. And I'm not even digging in deep here - I can rattle of a dozen more.
    A lost year. The federation could have hired Berhalter a year ago and given him the last year to install his system and build. He would have accepted the job. Instead ...

Misc:

It was a penalty back in the 2002 World Cup and Germany got lucky. Berhalter drew the penalty that wasn't given that should have lifted the US to the Quarterfinals.

EHT, heels1785 and tom like this.
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    @EHT - this popped up in my social media memories today from when Columbus hosted Portland. Thought you could get a chuckle and use it for smack talk

[​IMG]

EHT likes this.
  9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Another cool thing for Atlanta United while we wait for this weekend's MLS Cup here. Josef Martinez received the 2018 MLS MVP Award yesterday. His teammate Miguel Almiron finished second in voting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    AutumnLight91 likes this.
  10. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    I heard that on the radio. Google stuff. First mvp here since Ryan and Chipper

EHT likes this.
  11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    MLS Cup is apparently Almiron's last game with Atlanta, he's headed to Newcastle.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Pretty strongly rumored, but it sounds like it's not a done deal yet anyway.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    congrats atlanta fans. i was a united fan for a day so i enjoyed the match.

AutumnLight91 and EHT like this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Champions! :cool:

heels1785 , AutumnLight91 and tom like this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And the rich get richer, as Atlanta will be signing Pity Martinez in January after paying his $17 million release clause. Scored in the Copa Libertadores final and then departs the hated River to come to MLS.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This looks like a world ****ing class stadium for Minnesota United - a side that should have won about 3-4 games over the first two seasons, but have greatly overachieved. All they need now is a Lewandowski and Hummels to go with the stadium.

[​IMG]

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Frank de Boer to Atlanta United. That's a solid name for the league. Now we wait for Mourinho.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Galaxy just re-signed Zlatan
    Galaxy currently have no manager
    Galaxy were recently spurned by their top choice

[face_praying]

heels1785 likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    scratch that. GBS to the Galaxy. Such a smart hire - he will go down as the best coaching hire in MLS this off-season.

Just so we're clear, the best player in Columbus Crew history is now coaching in Los Angeles, where the best Player and GM in the history of the Cleveland Cavaliers is also playing. The Dodgers may as well trade for Corey Kluber and get the best Cleveland pitcher of my lifetime, too.

(heels will quote me on the best hire thing in two years if I'm completely wrong.)

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hate to Triple Post, but sad news for the American Soccer Community today as the winningest coach in MLS history, Sigi Schmid passed away

He won the Cup with Columbus in 2008, among other accomplishments.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh gosh, that's terrible. Hadn't heard of his condition, surely a legend of the game in America.

RIP

DarthIntegral likes this.
  23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, we’re optimistic about de Boer, but he has big shoes to fill. Tata Martino really got things going well in the team’s first two seasons.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Columbus showing some new found ambition under the Haslem/Edwards ownership. Caleb Porter in as the new head coach, and Tim Bezbatchenko in as the new General Manager. Porter won the 2015 MLS Cup (sigh, against Columbus) with Portland, while Bezbatchenko was the architect of the TFC juggernaut, including their 2017 Cup winning team.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Porter's a great coach. That's a good hire - I'm not familiar with the GM, but he sounds sharp.