main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Best chapter and ranking (Season 1)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by 3sm1r, Dec 27, 2019.

?

Best chapter?

1. 1: The client

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. 2: The child

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. 3: The sin

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 4: Sanctuary

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 5: The gunslinger

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. 6: The prisoner

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. 7: Reckoning

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. 8: Redemption

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Vote your favorite chapter and rank all of them in the comment section.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007

Chancellor Yoda and 3sm1r like this.
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Maybe:

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

3sm1r likes this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Top tier:
    3, 6, 7, 8

Mid tier

1, 2

Low tier
    4, 5

I'm going to have to do a few re-watches before I fully decide order and vote!

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016

Director rankings
    1: Chow (and not close)
    2: Taika
    3: Rick F
    4: Howard
    5: Filoni (love Filoni for Clone Wars, but something about his episodes didn’t click for me quite as well as the others)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    CampOfSorgan and 3sm1r like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Chapter 8 by far

I really didn’t like 4

9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Voted for The Gunslinger because it is by far the most underrated episode so far. Beautifully done, the most Space Western episode in the season, in a show that advertises itself as a Space Western.

My ranking:
    Chapter 5 - The Gunslinger
    Chapter 7 - Reckoning
    Chapter 1 - The Client
    Chapter 8 - Redemption
    Chapter 2 - The Child
    Chapter 3 - The Sin
    ---------------------------
    Chapter 4 - Sanctuary
    Chapter 6 - The Prisoner

The line is there to portray that I have no complaints with the six episodes I placed on top. Some of them are perfect 10s, other are 9s.

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I voted 2. Just loved the whole madness of the Jawa episode.

5. The Gunslinger needed more meat to it, but it was still fine.

3. The Sanctuary needed 10 more minutes to flesh it out, but again a lot to love in it.

And all the rest were just awesome.

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Technically you were supposed to just vote your personal favorite episode, and not what you wished was more appreciated by other people, but it's fine, if it makes you feel better we are all happy.

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    It IS my favorite episode. But I love at least 3 episodes equally, including this one.

3sm1r likes this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This is really tough, because different episodes excel in ways that others don't. I have to with 8 because that's where we get the best story developments. However, in terms of original, memorable contributions to Star Wars, it's probably 2 or 1.

I think the whole season would have been better served if we'd learned Mando's backstory up front at his first forge session. It would have made everything he does feel more complex and interesting. Also, they should have allowed him to take off his helmet more, as the one moment we get feels a bit wasted, even though it is very cool. Pedro is such a great actor, keeping him covered up is just not serving the project like they think it is.

3sm1r likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018

15. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I don't really like ranking movies / TV shows / etc anymore because I love them all and I will often find something within each visual story that I really like.

But I will offer my favourite Chapter - and that pretty much comes in a tie with 2 and 7. If I had to narrow it down to just one, 2 edges out 7 by the smallest of margins.

And the reason for that is the characterisation of the Jawas. During this first season, there have been many things that have left me speechless, really excited and thinking about the show for hours after I had seen it. There have been many wonderful highlights, but with what Famuyiwa did with those Jawas, that's the pinnacle for me. I was left in complete bewilderment for many hours after I saw Chapter 2 because Famuyiwa had just produced something incredibly special and amazing. His characterisation of the Jawas was faultless to the point where he actually built upon their characters and gave us even more than what George had given us many years ago. For the upstart to de-throne the Master in this one small area, that takes some doing and something really special.

From that moment on, I really started to think along the lines of Filoni doing the initial world-building and capturing the detail, Famuyiwa is handed the reigns of characterisation and Chow does the action - and it was because of Famuyiwa's ability to capture characterisation (but to be fair, Chow is equally at brilliant in all of this stuff too with what she did with Chapter 7).

This TV show is really special stuff and Season One was amazing.

Chancellor Yoda and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    6- Loved the cast of shady characters. A cool crime heist episode and our first look at the New Republic. A lot of fun!
    8- Great emotional finale. Can't believe I was sad for IG-11
    5- A lot of people disliked this one, but I enjoyed it. Was fun to see Mando train a young cocky kid. Reminded me a bit of a AOTC era Anakin in a way.
    7- Good episode. A nice narrative build compared to the other episodes. Quill tho...
    3- Fantastic action. A lot of drama and the Mandalorians at the end was badass
    2- May not be the most entertaining, but it definitely was fun. Just a dumb, fun, hijinks episode
    1-Cool if cliched start. But pales in comparison to the rest of the show. A starting episode more about world-building than plot
    4- Definitely my least fav. Needed to be longer for me to care about the village. The Seven Samurai vibe to it felt a bit repetitive to previous SW material (a TCW episode) that did it better

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  17. Gräfin Zeppelin

Gräfin Zeppelin Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2019
    I love them all but
    6 has to be my most favorite
    8 to be my least favorite.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Lots of phenomenal episodes, but 2 is next level. So simple, yet to me, the most profound - visually and narratively. You could start an entirely new religion based solely on that episode. It’s a modern fable in the best possible sense.

Generational Fan likes this.
  19. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Couldn't agree more.

And that's it, that is what Star Wars is to me and why it works so well. They (the movies, the TV shows, etc) are simple storylines underpinned by a series of complex relationships between memorable characters that resonate deeply with familiar and non-familiar behaviours and interactions. That is probably the best I can describe the thoughts in my head.

Also within these characters and their interactions with their own kind and with other species, you have a sub-story unfolding too; in which these sub-stories all form back into the main storyline. And the characterisation does not stop with the humanoid and the alien species, the robots/droids are given individual characterisations too that distinguishes them from other droids.

Famuyiwa appeared to have really understood this core concept in Star Wars and his Chapter 2 reflected this. The storyline was simple, retrieve an egg to get the parts back for your ship, but Famuyiwa's characterisations sold the brilliance; ranging from Jawa's simple view and expectations, to the Mando not being overpowered when it came to fighting the Reek-like creature or battling the Jawas. And in between all of this, you have the wonderful Kuill with his abilities and his take of the world and all of this is backed up, as you say, by great visuals.

I also agree about this being a modern fable. I could see something like this in a timeless and classical fairytale book because of how the story is brilliantly told and how the characters interact.

I dearly hope that Famuyiwa gets a crack at the Gamorreans that are rumoured to be in the next series. I really think it should be him because his characterisations are top level stuff.

Bor Mullet and 3sm1r like this.
  20. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    7 - 8/10
    2 - 8/10
    8 - 8/10
    3 - 7.5/10
    1 - 7/10
    5 - 6/10
    6 - 5.5/10
    4 - 4.5/10

EDIT: Added my ratings as far as I remember them

3sm1r likes this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Unfortunately relatively few people voted, so we don't have a big sample for the statistics.

With what we have, the general consensus seems to be that 7,8 and 2 are the most beloved.
    3 is also very often in the top 4 but few people consider it to be the best.
    6 is the most polarizing, since there is a good number of people who put it in the top 4 but also several people who put it in the bottom.
    1 is around the middle for virtually everyone.
    5 is usually in the bottom 4, but there are exceptions here and there.
    4 is generally considered the worst.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
  24. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Already posted my ranking in the season one thread, but I’ll do it again here real quick:

3sm1r likes this.
  25. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009