main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Best Disney Star Wars Film?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkslayer, May 31, 2018.

?

Favorite Disney Star Wars Movie?

1. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

16.7%
  2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

46.9%
  3. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

27.1%
  4. Solo: A Star Wars Story

9.4%
  1. RuinJohnson

RuinJohnson Jedi Padawan

Jun 6, 2018
    1. Rogue One- amazing and moving.
    2. The Force Awakens- just fun
    3. Solo- loved it

4. The Last Jedi- an absolute abomination

Snafu55 likes this.
  2. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Rouge one for me aced it and showed why this Standalones are awesome and need to continue with the right projects in place they'll nail it again.

Snafu55 likes this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Probably a tie between RO and TFA for me.

4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I happen to think that all of the Disney-era movies are at least good on some level. Here's my ranking.

1) The Last Jedi- This is a fantastic film and I've debated its quality to death in other places. I love the character development. I love the themes. I love the cinematography. It's flawed, but it still has some of the highest of the highs in the saga. Critically, it's probably my favorite.

2) The Force Awakens- Another film that I've debated to death, this film is just a shot of joy. It's non-stop adventure and character development, which is most important to me in films like Star Wars. Also, Rey and Finn have the absolute best relationship in Star Wars, platonic or otherwise. While TLJ is the best for me, this is the one I always come back to.

3) Rogue One- I...like this film. As someone who adores character development and relationships, there's not really a lot to write home about. The aesthetics and the plot are the strongest aspects of the film. And the second half is stronger than the first. However, I wish I could say that I liked it as much as everyone else.

4) Solo- The most basic of the modern SW films. It's decent, I guess. Nothing special, though.

5. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Rogue One, 100%. It's second favorite (because all of the characters died and we never get to see them again. I loved those guys :() of the whole saga, with RotJ on top.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    #4. A Neew Hope.
    I hate The Force Awakens. It's worthless. I can't watch it without thinking I'm watching an uncanny-valley reboot of ANH.

#3. The Last Jedi.
    I came in with an open mind but the film just kinda sucked. Canto Bight was boring, the fleet "chase" was boring. The throne room scene was painfully predictable. The messages were incredibly forced. Rose saving Finn was so stupid. Luke's character was assassinated.

#2. Solo.
    I really wanted to like it. Indeed, most of the characters were enjoyable. The heist premise was really cool. I loved the environment of Mimban. Unfortunately the Kessel antics were really boring. L3 was just terrible. Alden wasn't Han. The movie explains so many things that shouldn't have been explained. The movie's got a bit of great in it and a lot of bad.

#1. Rogue One.
    It's just great. The film has purpose. The ending was so many levels of epic. There may have been too many characters, but most of them were pretty great. It's a worthy addition to the series IMO.

Alpha Spook likes this.
  7. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Same. Rogue One. The Force is strong with this one. It just works.

I concur. The power of this film is immeasurable! The feels!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I voted for Rogue One. No surprise. I love Jyn Erso, Cassian, and the other characters so much.

9. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    The Last Jedi with TFA a close second. TLJ was just an amazing experience to me. The anthologies are tied as well, loved both of them.

10. Alpha Spook

Alpha Spook Jedi Padawan

Jun 27, 2018
    1. Rogue One: Visually one of the best SW movies, great world building and action. Shows a very different side to SW. Just needed to fix some character and pacing issues but everything else is pretty good.

2. Solo: A fun movie with a very likable cast imo and nice expansion on the SW universe but focuses too much on Han getting and doing things we saw and heard of in the OT and the plot suffers because of it. Also out of all the Disney films it has best the original score. Very unique sounding, can't stop listening to it.

3. The Last Jedi: A lot of risks taken that are good in concept but not so much in execution which really hurts the movie along with tonal issues and ST characters that I don't care about at all besides Kylo Ren, who is actually the best thing to come out the movie. Still I respect what Rian was trying to accomplish, but the film just didn't work for me.

4. The Force Awakens: Super mundane. A lazy rehash of ANH but without the substance. Gives the ST its boring lifeless setting and characters and the constant meta humor and fan service takes me out the movie completely. Overall has a very cold, calculated, and corporate feel to it, which is the antithesis to SW in my opinion.

11. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The Last Jedi, easily. Solo and Rogue One are fun action movies, but they simply don't have as much substance as TFA and TLJ. The writing of both Anthology movies is also a bit clunky in a lot of places. They have a lot of fanservice, so I can see why many fans would rank them high. But fanservice doesn't make a movie for me.

As for why The Last Jedi is above The Force Awakens, the answer is more complicated. I think TFA is better paced and more entertaining, but also is a little weird tonally and doesn't have the clearest vision. TLJ, on the other hand, has a very tight focus on theme and a very clear artistic vision, which really helps it to rise above the pack.

12. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    My list would go
    Rogue One
    Solo
    The Last Jedi
    The force awakens
    The reason i like the last jedi little bit more then force awakens is becuase it tried different stuff instead of classic tropes

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  13. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    TFA is still my favorite, especially since it's enhanced by both TLJ and Solo, but I picked TLJ for the poll. It's the most eclectic, demonstrating more of the stylistic potential in the GFFA, and it's packed with big moments. Beyond that, though, I'm really happy with all four films.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  14. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Last Jedi > TFA > R1 > > > Solo

Picking between TFA and R1 was the hardest part. There's a tradeoff between both films - I think R1 is more engaging thematically and feels like a more complete film, but TFA has much better pacing and characters. I think TLJ has done the most by far to give the Disney era a raison d'etre. It has its flaws, but what it accomplishes is for me what sets it apart from all the others. Solo is just a bland blockbuster that doesn't do enough to justify its own existence.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  15. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Have not seen Solo yet, but nicely put! Rogue One for sure! Your points about world building, character development, fitting into the Star Wars universe and storyline of the saga, and the start to the post ROTJ era are well put and spot on!

Alpha Spook likes this.