main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best EU books check out !

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Vader fan 99, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Vader fan 99

Vader fan 99 Jedi Knight star 1

May 6, 2019
    Good, evening all. My knowledge of EU material outside of the saga and anthology films are basically 0.What are some good books to get introduced to that universe?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    IMO Heir to the Empire is one of the best books to start the Legendsverse off with.

3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Kinda depends on what you are seeking in the EU:

If you want to go into the later parts of Ledgends especially those where they leave the empire vs. rebels dynamic behind I would defenetly recommend starting with YJK, defenetly improves NJO by a lot.

Heir to the Empire and the other TTT books are generally more of the same as the OT, its Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and Lando fighting the empire, yes there are some new characters and worldbuiling but the core story is very OT esque I would say.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    The jedi academy trillogy or I Jedi are good places too read about the forming of the NJO

Vader fan 99 likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Heir to the Empire, X-wing books, I, Jedi, Hand of Thrawn Trilogy. That will give you a solid footing.

6. Discipulus

Discipulus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 1, 2019
    I echo previous recommendations of Heir to the Empire. It launched my interest in reading Star Wars seven years ago. Dozens of books later, I still think of it as one of the best.

7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    All of the above are epic (there are a few in the NJO that are not so much) but SW is SW........and I love it all.

Especially the X Wing Series...... [face_love] I, Jedi was brilliant too.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Vader fan 99 and Iron_lord like this.
  8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    If you are interested in the prequel trilogy time period, the novels written by James Luceno provide a lot of background.

The Essential Guide series also offers a lot of information...

9. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    If you're interested in how the EU differs from Canon (the new films starting with TFA), I'd suggest starting with the Thrawn Trilogy or New Jedi Order. Thrawn Trilogy takes place around 5-10 years after RotJ and was what launched the EU back in the 90s (it was basically Ep. VII, VIII, and IX back then), and introduces some major EU characters for that era. NJO takes place within a similar timeframe as TFA and TLJ, roughly 30 years after RotJ. I started with NJO, but most people will tell you to start with the Thrawn Trilogy.

10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I'm going to pile on and also say the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) is the best place to start. It was pretty much the start of the modern EU, and it's still pretty close to the original movies (five years after ROTJ), so you don't need to know much backstory when you go in. And it introduces several characters that're as important to (that version of) the Star Wars universe as the ones from the movies.

11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    In addition to what the others recommended, I'd suggest the anthologies. Like Tales from Jabba's Place or Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. There are a bunch of short stories, some better than the others, but they're awesome for world/character building.

12. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    He has a good point both of those books are very good.