main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best movie of 2011

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by MasterDillon, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    So in your opinion what was the best movie of 2011?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think I only saw about three movies in theaters this year. It's depressing.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Drive. I got to the point of obsession with that movie.

Super 8 was great as well. Deathly Hallows part 2 was amazing. And Moneyball is up there too. But Drive is #1 easily for me.

4. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Of the ones I've seen this year........War Horse.

5. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
  6. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I really liked Reel Steel. :D

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

For me, this is really tough. There were 3 movies out this year that I really loved.

The Help, Hugo and War Horse. I'd probably give the edge to War Horse, but both Hugo
    and The Help are very strong contenders. I would be happy if any of these three won
    the Best Picture Oscar. They're all worthy.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, mainly by default since the only other movies I saw Harry Potter and X Men First Class in theaters.

I did see King's Speech in January but I doubt that counts. :p

9. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Definitely, Hugo.

No other movie gave me joy of going to the movies more than this masterpiece.

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was immensely fun.

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Still a few prestige pics to come out here yet (like The Artist, The Descendants, Tinker, Tailor, et cetera) but the best I've seen is War Horse.

I did keep a list... (I need to for my work, it's not nerdy. Not at all)

1. War Horse
    2. Tyrannosaur
    3. Drive
    4. Hugo
    5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    6. The Adventures of Tintin
    7. The Kid with a Bike
    8. Hanna
    9. Moneyball
    10. The Tree of Life
    11. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    12. Mission: Impossible ? Ghost Protocol
    13. X-Men: First Class
    14. The Ides of March
    15. Source Code
    16. Midnight in Paris
    17. We Need to Talk About Kevin
    18. Anonymous
    19. Captain America: The First Avenger
    20. Rango
    21. Contagion
    22. Young Adult
    23. Thor
    24. Attack the Block
    25. The Lincoln Lawyer
    26. Super 8
    27. The Green Hornet
    28. The Adjustment Bureau
    29. Like Crazy
    30. We Bought a Zoo
    31. The Eye of the Storm
    32. Hall Pass
    33. Green Lantern
    34. The Iron Lady
    35. The Dilemma
    36. Sanctum
    37. Sucker Punch

As you see, a lot of gaps there, purely because I'm in Australia. Y'see.

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    My pick goes to Drive as well. Outstanding movie.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Warrior. Tintin and War Horse were great too. And Thor and X-Men were the best of the superhero movies.

14. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Haven't seen a lot of the newer releases, but right now it's "The Tree of Life".

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Dangit, I forgot On Stranger Tides. How ever did I manage that? It'd come in around #35.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I liked Fast Five. :D

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Until today, i had three films I wanted to see before making my first Best of 2011 list- War Horse, Hugo and Moneyball. I made plans to catch one of the few showings still playing of Hugo today, but underestimated how busy it would be today so I was unable to catch that. Instead I saw the rather dissapointing War Horse.

I have another chance to catch Hugo wed or thursday, and Moneyball will be on on-demand next week, so I'll be able to polish my list off until the round of Oscar nominees hits and I can add in them as a revision sometime next month.

Although I tend to rank films by balancing their quality and enjoyability for my list (thus Mission Impossible, Thor and Cap will rank very high, even if Super 8, Adjustment Bureau and Source Code are probably better movies).

However, since Hugo and Moneyball aren't likely to be in my bottom ten, I can safely post my bottom ten films of the year at this point I think.

(and before you ask, when I rank these things, I tend to ask myself "would I rather rewatch this movie or this movie?" as a baseline question)

These four fall towards the bottom of the middle section of my list: films that were flawed or lacking, but had some notable or redeeming elements/moments/sequences:
    28) Green Lantern
    29) Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    30) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    31) War Horse

These four are the category of films that may have some moments to them but are, on the whole, largely misfires that do not engage the audience or manage to achieve what they were trying to:
    32) Conan the Barbarian
    33) Your Highness
    34) Green Hornet
    35) Drive

And these two were just flat out terrible, despite great visuals:
    36) Priest
    37) Sucker Punch

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've seen about 70 movies of 2011 so far, of which the top 10% or so (not counting documentaries) might be, in alphabetical order:

Captain America: The First Avenger
    Drive
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Hanna
    Rango
    Source Code
    Warrior

Most of which are probably ***½ (or so) pictures; this is not a list I'm excited about, and what I consider the best of the many merely pretty good pictures I've seen this year keeps changing. I should note, however, that I haven't yet seen most of the movies I'm most curious about from 2011, including but not limited to: Bellflower, Melancholia, Another Earth, Tyrannosaur, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, The Descendants, A Dangerous Method, The Ides of March, The Deep Blue Sea, Hugo, Miss Bala, Shame, Moneyball, J. Edgar, Take Shelter, A Separation, Margaret, Martha Marcy May Marlene, The Artist, My Week with Marilyn, and The Adventures of Tintin. So I suspect this list will look quite different in another few months. Also there are several films (The Help, The Tree of Life, and X-Men: First Class, for instance) that are ambitious and not without some great strengths but are also (in some cases deeply) flawed or that I found personally troubling and therefore didn't make the list.

Also, if we're counting movies that might have come out earlier but only got any kind of wide distribution in 2011 then Beginners absolutely makes the list.

And the bottom 10% (not counting direct-to-video stuff), again in alphabetical order would look like:

Beastly
    Conan the Barbarian
    Drive Angry
    Hobo With a Shotgun
    Mars Needs Moms
    Priest
    Season of the Witch

Red Riding Hood and The Three Musketeers may claim spots on this list once I see them!

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    2ndQuest, what on Earth do you use as a rating system that results in Green Lantern getting a better ranking than Planet of the Apes?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Because, IMO, Green Lanterns' primary faults (though not all of them) are in it's structure/pacing/editing (ie: everytime it starts to build some potential momentum, they stop and he goes to visit a bar, then picks up where the momentum indicated things were going). Some editing and about 5 minutes of reshoots would have helped that film tremendously.

ROTPOTA, on the other hand, has it's strengths in some of the performances, but they're almost totally ruined by the others. Basically, Serkis is great as Ceasar, and the Franco family cast is great, as are the apes. But, damn, is every other human in that movie just the most two-dimensional collection of characters in the last 40 years or what? From the Harry Potter kid to especially the greedy corporate guy- you'd find more nuance in a Verhoeven satire. In fact, I'm almost positive Franco's boss works for OCP :p.

They totally derailed the rest of the film and made it feel rather empty. I think a lot of people got swept up in the "Serkis was great and the film didn't suck as much as I thought it would" reaction and were more willing to overlook those flaws, but it's not a sour taste I can soon forget.

As such, while I'll likely rewatch both films at some point (although neither is a particularly notable priority to me), I think GL will have just a slightly higher rewatchability to me since it'll be easier to skip past the parts that don't work (and it even piques my interest so far as potentially re-editing the film), ROTPOTA will be more difficult to do so.

Although I'll admit that I also like GL in general more than POTA (it's the one DC property that manages to really appeal to me beyond Batman, outside of animation), so that is a factor.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I have another chance to catch Hugo wed or thursday

I would highly recommend you see it in 3 D. It's the best use of 3 D I've ever seen.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wanted to but it's long gone from the 3D screens of my local theaters- as of last week they only had 10:00am showtimes left for the 2D screenings, though this week they had added a 12:40pm showtime, which is what I tried to catch but didn't realize today was still considered a holiday, so when I arrived at the theater at 12:36 and saw a long line outside, I knew I was screwed. If I had realized there would be a line, I would have tried to get up earlier.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would disagree. In the first place, I would argue there are no real characters in POTA outside of Caesar and his family. The others are thinly sketched because they're bit players, and I don't think they radically alter things by their relative lack of depth. Even independent of the abuse dealt by one handler, the overall stay in the primate control center was still portrayed as cruel, inhumane, and alienating. It would have been good motivation for Caesar even without being embodied by a particular antagonist.

Likewise, while clearly greedy, the CEO didn't do anything particularly beyond the pale. Yes, he would ultimately override his own objections in pursuit of the almighty dollar. But he was never a villain. While willing to make cold, calculating decisions, he never went out of his way to be cruel or abusive to the apes. He kept Will onboard for a long time after he was clearly past his prime and apparently hung up on a dead end. The views he voices are always justified by the position he holds. You're right, we don't see much of the guy. But every business magnate doesn't get to have a scene where he delivers a Christmas turkey to Tiny Tim's house. I see nothing implausible about the fact that, in his professional life, he was disinterested and results-oriented.

In fact, I'd argue that's part of the real cleverness of the movie. These people are all recognizable. They don't have any particularly egregious flaws. It is the coarseness of our quotidian affairs that drove the outcome. It also drives home the thematic point about the dangers of research. The mistake was not that there were bad people involved, but that there was a critique of a whole system to be made.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't believe they intended the other characters to be non-characters, though. They were meant to be villainous to give Caesar something to rebel against righteously. It wasn't the system Caesar rebelled against, it was the system being run by those terrible people. They just made them too cartoony in trying to depict them as such, which really stands out comapred to the more subtle portrayals of Franco/Caesar.

Franco's boss was definitely intended to be a villain- as we're obviously meant to cheer his death. The Potter kid is meant to be a villain, as we're also meant to cheer his death. Brian Cox is meant to be a villain, as he relishes the abuse of his position and of the animals (but, granted, isn't as extreme a villain as the other two). We're never meant to sympathize with any of them or find them redeeming in any way.

But if it helps any, searching back to my initial review of the film, I did say it was "somewhere above Green Lantern but below Cowboys & Aliens", so I'm perfectly willing to listen to Me Of The Past and switch GL & ROTPOTA's rankings if you'd prefer ;).

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Alright so I'm catching up on movies lately. Just saw a bunch yesterday and today

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    2. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    3. Drive
    4. The Adventures of Tintin
    5. X-Men: First Class
    6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    100. Sucker Punch