main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Best U.S. President from 1808-1852?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Apr 2, 2016.

?

Best U.S. President from 1808-1852?

1. James Madison

28.6%
  2. James Monroe

4.8%
  3. John Quincy Adams

28.6%
  4. Andrew Jackson

9.5%
  5. Martin Van Buren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. William Henry Harrison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. John Tyler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. James Knox Polk

23.8%
  9. Zachary Taylor

4.8%
  10. Millard Fillmore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you. The Federalists opposed the War of 1812 because they wanted to maintain trade with Britain, something was seen by many as treasonous.
    It seems to me that the Mexican-American War resulted in slavery replacing westward expansion as the most divisive political issue. This led to the Whig Party being replaced by the Republican Party.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah it seemed to open that divide into a chasm that led right into the last great compromise and the demise of the second American system.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I always wondered if the "Pig War" or Aroostic War grew how a third war with Brittain would of affected history.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Also interesting to me is how similar Jackson was to Trump and Quincy Adams to Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush. Jackson was crude, claimed the system was rigged against him, appealed to "the common man", and drummed up fear of Native Americans and forced them from their land. Quincy Adams came from a family that had already been in the White House, was favorable to banking interests, was percieved as part of the system, and refused to remove Native Americans from their land.