main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Best works on making of OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Director Krennic, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Director Krennic

Director Krennic Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2020
    Can anyone recommend works or references for the practical ''making of'' Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi ?

Particular interest in any and all Imperial costumes, concepts, miniatures and errata. More than willing to read long and difficult books!

I am a complete beginner, so this course of reading will be my first foray into the background.

whostheBossk and afterlight like this.
  2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    My recommended "making of" books are The Annotated Screenplays and the 3 Rinzler books for the OT movies. Beyond that, I like the old school reference manuals

TCF-1138 and Darth Dnej like this.
  3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Also extremely insightful, though necessarily speculative in some places due to its unofficial nature, is Michael Kaminski's The Secret History of Star Wars.

4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Without any doubt, the "Making of" books by Jonathan Rinzler are the best books you could ever find. They are clearly superior (and more recent) than any other book out there. If you are interested in how the films were made, these are an absolute must.

The Secret History of Star Wars focuses exclusively on the creation of the scripts. And even though it can be very illuminating about certain "secret" issues, you have to keep in mind that it's not an official book, the writing is amateurish to say the least, and it has a very deliberate purpose, and therefore is extremely speculative.

whostheBossk likes this.