main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Better Call Saul (Spoilers within)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So... that scene at the beginning of last nights episode. :D

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Breaking Bad flashback! ...Er, flash forward! Something!

Also, yikes Howard's guilt is really eating at him. I wouldn't be surprised if HHM implodes.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know if that scene at the beginning has any greater meaning that will be explored in future episodes but I just love how they bookended the episode with Jimmy's life in shambles after the Walter White fallout and then having him expressing his hopes and dreams for the future at the end. It's really tragic. Brilliant writing.

TiniTinyTony , EHT and Rew like this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The morals of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are probably identical: we all die in the end, but very few of us will have as much fun in the middle as Walter White and Jimmy McGill.

TiniTinyTony and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He gave his secretary a lawyers card, and said tell them Jimmy sent you.

I assume it was either for Kim, HHM or Kim at HHMW. And assume we will find out.

6. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The secretary knows Kim though so it's most likely HHM, assuming HHM isn't going to implode with the way Howard is acting at the moment.

Diggy likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    So why exactly is Kim defending low-level criminals? My interpretation is that Mesa Verde seems meaningless to her and she wants to actually do something good and help people. She already blew Mesa Verde off once, so I think she's going to walk away at some point.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the car crash definitely shifted the goalposts in the priorities in Kim's life.

The Breaking Bad era scene was great but, spoilers for a show I already watched, what was it that made Saul have to become Cinnabon Gene aside from just doing money laundering for Walt and Jessie but what specifically spooked him. Or was it because Walt was outted as Heisenberg so Saul figured that they were coming for him. Also I loved how he even had a moment to shout out his Jimmy days there.

So I guess the guy who told Mike he could build Gus' underground bunker in "7 months" was just completely full of it which is why Mike dropped him too quick ("thought so!") and the German guy offered up actual stats on the job.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It was good but strangely kind of slow compared to recent episodes, I thought. I knew last week’s episode was setting up Saul having a desk full of burner phones, but I was surprised that was the main theme of this episode. Totally agreed on the sad contrast between Saul in that BB scene at the start (and his “it was quite a ride” line before calling the guy to help him disappear) compared to enthusiastic Jimmy at the end of the episode. And it was kind of cool seeing Mike find the right guy for Gus to hire to build the underground meth lab under the laundry place.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Watching it again now, he also tells her to be at a phone on November 12, at 3PM. Presumably a payphone. That has to have some pay out.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Looking at the Breaking Bad wiki and refreshing my memory, Saul was spooked when Huell disappeared. He also was wearing a bullet proof vest worried that Jesse would be coming after him. If you recall, Jesse and Walt have a falling out in BB Season 5 and then Jesse was working with the DEA so they know that Saul was an associate/working with Walt. Then when Hank and Steve were killed, Saul knew the full force of the DEA would be going after Skylar and Walt Jr and anyone associated with Walt, so his frantic fleeing, shredding, and all that great stuff from the first scene of BCS "Quite a Ride" is what he was doing probably while Walt was running around like crazy, kidnapping his own daughter, and then eventually calling Ed the vacuum guy. Walt is already at Ed's establishment there when Saul gets there.

Fun fact: Saul says to Walt in Ed's bunker, "If I'm lucky, a month from now, best case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

Yeah, as revealed towards the end of the episode, Gus was there the whole time listening in the shadows to what is being said to Mike by the potential contractors. When Gus realizes the first guy was full of it, he called Mike on the phone and Mike responded accordingly.

This has been my favorite episode of the season thus far with all the BB connections.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I commented on Kim on the previous page and said something similar to the effect where she's dissatisfied with her job with Mesa Verde. I thought the scene were Kim was looking at the building models planned for Mesa Verde's expansion was very telling. As well as the fact she was begging for the judge to put her to work.

Well, going for a ride with Mike in the van with no windows definitely added to the slow burn of this episode. Additionally, it didn't have the high tension and hard pounding drama of the previous episodes' drug wars.

I never really gave much thought how the meth lab came to be under the clothes laundry business. I always assumed that space was there to begin with. Anyway, I did notice the license plate on the rent-a-car the guys used had Colorado license plate, which explains the very long car ride.

I'm imagine Hank would appear at some point in this series.

I don't remember if it was ever revealed in Breaking Bad, but I'm very curious was in the package that Jimmy pulled out of the wall.

TiniTinyTony and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The package contains mementos including VHS tapes of his commercials. We see it in the first episode.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Also, I believe there was something saying that the guy landed at Colorado International, unless I imagined it.

I think Kim is a little disenfranchised with the Mesa Verde stuff because of her roll in Chucks downfall. She’s possible making amends with the court stuff, following the letter of the law as he did.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I think guilt is definitely playing a part in it. She seems more affected by Chuck's death than she's letting on.

Diggy and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Great points about Chuck's death. Please refresh my memory, but does Kim know that Jimmy changed the addresses on the Mesa Verde contracts to which Chuck to the fall for?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't remember if they ever showed Jimmy confessing to her but she definitely knows. There was that scene where Jimmy tried to talk to her about it and she shut him down and told him she never wants to talk about it. Or something like that.

EHT, Diggy and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I hope there's a scene with Kim sees Howard and the guilt ridden condition he's in. I wonder if this will create a wedge between Kim and Jimmy.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if she'll ever find out that it was Jimmy who caused the insurance company to raise their rates. That might be the final nail in the coffin if she does.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and EHT like this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tonight's episode:
    Season 4, Episode 6: Piñata

Official AMC plot summary:
    While Jimmy daydreams about reconstituting Wexler-McGill, Kim sets out to secure her own future; Mike puts a plan into motion for Gus.

While last week's episode had some great development, I think it was possibly an intentional breather as far as the intensity of it went. I wouldn't be surprised if things are now back to the "hurtling towards Breaking Bad" feeling we've been getting lately in this season.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Last night's episode was directed by Andrew Stanton of Wall-E and Finding Nemo / Dory fame

"***** you, Jimmy!"

I was thinking, while people want Walt and Jessie to pop up, I think having them in the prequel-timeframe of the show would be pointless but hopefully there's a great "lost" Walt/Jessie/Saul/Mike scene they can integrate into an episode like this episode Chuck flashback for the Saul flashforward last week.

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Pinata
    - I watched the episode on the AMC app and I was kind of upset with them that their choice of thumbnail kind of ruined the end of the episode a little bit. It was great seeing Heull but I didn't recognize the other guy. It's probably someone from BB, I'm guessing. Anyway...
    • It was great seeing Chuck again, essentially in his prime. It's funny to see that Chuck inspires Kim who ultimately inspires Jimmy to follow the path of lawyer. [According to IMDb the scene takes places in 1993, based on Jimmy's comment about Scent of a Woman from 1992.]
    • I liked all the Mike scenes. I wonder how much of a pain Kai is going to be. I guess there has to be some drama with the project otherwise it's boring as we know it gets built. If anything, this project will show Gus that Mike can be fully trusted and he'll be working for him full time.
    • The Gus scene with Hector was kind of needed / kind of not. Sure we haven't seen Hector in a while so it's nice to get a "wellness" check on him even though we know he's going to wake up. And we also know the type of man Gus is: his intelligence, patience, carefulness with everything he is planning. I couldn't tell when they zoomed in on Hector's hand if it twitched or moved or not at the end of the scene.
    • Kim seeing Jimmy's notebook and knowing his vision made her decision to go see Rick Schweikart all the more heartbreaking. She loves Jimmy, I truly believe that, but at the same time she knows what kind of man he is and she doesn't want to be associated with him professionally. That scene with Jimmy at the kitchen and it hitting him was very powerful. (I wonder if the card
    • Jimmy / Howard scene was fantastic! Is the big death this season not Kim but HHM? [I read on IMDb that Howard delivered the first uncensored F bomb in this show's broadcast history.] I noticed watching FX that Mayans and Sunny wasn't censored either. Is this a new thing?

BigAl6ft6 and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, Scent of a Woman was release in December 1992, and the Oscars would have been held in 1993, so the timeline is accurate.

I can't say is was great seeing Chuck again because of the heavy make up and hair piece. To me, it looked like a bad face lift. But whatever. I thought the scene was pretty cool, because I didn't recall that Kim started off in the mail room like Jimmy. But I don't recall a lot of elements of the show. Additionally, did show how interested and enthusiastic Kim was with the litigation side of the law, as oppose to the corporate side when she's looking over regulations regarding building codes. I know this feeling all too well. It's great to see a woman character pursue her aspirations as so often they're written in the opposite; sacrificing their own goals to support the significant other. And not only does she purse her passion, but also manages to take care of her commitments to Mesa Verde.

Mike's character is so well written, as well as the characters that support him, in that he's well respected by them. I mean, the way Gus listens to him and takes in all his advice helps create more depth and nuance to his character. It was also nice to see Mike apologize to his daughter-in-law and admit the time and place of his outburst was wrong, which adds another layer to his character. As such, if I ever watch Breaking Bad again, I won't look at Mike the same way, which as a type of villain. And his death would probably effect me moreso.

I like the scene with Gus and Hector as it explains why Gus didn't kill Hector as he has the opportunity to do so. Gus tells that story of the animal that was eating his fruit and how he tried and capture it but initially failed. That story was part of Gus' origin story and why he was patient and why he doesn't kill Hector, as it would be considered merciful in Gus' mind. Thus, keeping Hector alive is not act of merci by Gus. And therefore, Gus sits in Hector's hospital room hoping that he wakes up and watches for any sign it will happen, whether it be a simple hand twitch. I think Gus wants Hector to see that he has taken over the operations and is doing ten times better than he could ever dream of. This scene was great as it show the inner thinking of Gus and how diabolical he is.

Man, Mike and Gus are the best villain duo ever.

I was kind of surprised that Jimmy supported Howard (in his own special way) to stop wallowing in his set back and get back up. I mean, there was that certain level of animosity between Jimmy and Howard. And Howard's response was both surprising and pitch perfect because of said animosity between the two. I would expect that Jimmy's "advice" does help Howard snap out of his funk and Howard get things back on track. On a side note, I'm surprised that Howard's law firm took a fast and hard nose dive.

BigAl6ft6, DarthTunick , EHT and 2 others like this.
  24. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    HUELL!

@Sith_Sensei__Prime I agree about Mike and Gus. I love love love the setup for the German construction crew and I'm excited to see what goes down with this part of the plot.

I liked that we were all probably so stoked to see Hector's bell-ringing finger twitch and it didn't! Ha.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I figured one of Jimmy's "friends" was Huell. I wonder how much Jimmy paid his two friends. I was surprised how fast Jimmy can run. Dude looked like Usain Bolt. I mean, sure Jimmy had a head start on those kids, but it seemed like he was able to extend the gap between him and the kids, rather than the kids closing in on him.

Too bad for those kids that they couldn't come to an understanding with Jimmy.

[​IMG]