main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond the Films... The "New Canon"

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BPStoyle, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    I'm curious since the switch over from the previous "Expanded Universe" to the new "Story Group Canon" with Star Wars stories counting beyond just the films, and with a bunch of new North Ridge members the last few years, I figured this was worth asking:

Do you follow Star Wars outside of the movies?

If so, what do you partake in?

Watching Clone Wars/Rebels
    Reading the new novels
    Reading the Marvel comics
    Playing video/mobile games (Battlefront, Uprising, etc.)

2. Grog Zombie

Grog Zombie North Ridge Diplomat star 1

Apr 2, 2016
    I watch Clone Wars/Rebels, read a few of the new novels and just started playing Battlefont. As much as I liked R1, Rebels is probably my favorite current SW property.

3. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    Always been a sucker for the novels, legends or new canon.

4. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Watching Rebels, planning to catch up on Clone Wars. My reading queue is currently clogged with history non-fiction so haven't gotten into SW novels yet.

5. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    We've seen all of the Clone Wars shows including the Tartavosky version. We follow Rebels closely. And I am gradually catching up on the newer novels.

The kids do read some of the comics, Jonathan follows the Princess Leia comics closely and James follows the Kanan series.

We've played several of the video games: The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes (the kids still do!), Battlefront (all versions, including the current incarnation expansion packs).

I remember as a college student, my brother and I had a Star Wars chess PC game, where the characters defeated each other using their known skills (ex: Sith lightening for the Emperor, rockets for Boba, and of course lightsabers! ) AJ and used to play Masters of Teras Kasi, a mortal combat style game using SW characters.
    James currently plays Galactic heroes.

Of course, we have several board games as well.

I admit I never read any of the expanded universe books. I remember when I first started seeing them at Waldenbooks in the early 80s . I didn't have the money to buy them as a kid, having spent my small allowance on Star Wars movie novelizations, the jedi master quiz book (which I will find one day in my parents storage) action figures and sets, posters, and trading cards. then starting at the age of twelve, all my book went to Stephen King novels of which I was highly addicted to, well into my adult life.

6. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003

I watch the cartoons and play the video games, but have been more relaxed on the books and comics due to time...

Rebels is starting to get really good, and I'll be sorry to see it go. There is a rumor of a new show coming. The new show may focus on the Jedi Academy in the Era just before the Clone Wars. There was an episode of Clone Wars with Asoka and some Padawan learners near the end of the series.

7. Grog Zombie

Grog Zombie North Ridge Diplomat star 1

Apr 2, 2016
    I'm also in a Star Wars D6 tabletop role playing game campaign at the moment. I have played the newer "Edge of the Empire" RPG once or twice and like the mechanic, but haven't gotten a group together to play it yet.

8. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I watched Clone Wars and now Rebels. I read one of the new novels (guess which one!) but otherwise that's it. Not in the list above, I find myself watching a lot of YouTube videos on Star Wars fan speculation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jwnikita

jwnikita Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 25, 2016
    I watch the animated series. Haven't read the new books, it's hard to find the older books in digital format and I require that with my visual impairment. Same with the comics.
    I have played the XBOX games of Battlefront, Force Unleashed, KOTOR, etc.
    Haven't played any of the recent board games but will be doing so in the very near future as my friend is begging Jeff and I to play.

Still hoping for Mara Jade's story to become "new cannon"

10. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Have you tried the audio books? All of the new canon novels (and almost everything from the 90s EU) is available that way. I read the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series that way, it was quite wonderful. They are well produced and Marc Thompson is quite the narrator. He also made "Aftermath" tolerable.

For the comics, I would recommend the digital ones (either from Marcel's website or on ComiXology). They offer a "Guided View" which blows up individual panels to be read one at a time; WAY easier to read.

11. jwnikita

jwnikita Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 25, 2016

Thank you. I will have to check those out. I am always skeptical about audiobooks because I have had bad/boring experiences with them in the past. Good to know that they get your endorsement and recommendation.

12. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Audible always has playable samples of the books on each book's respective page, so you can get a taste for how they sound.

The recent SW ones are great because they add a lot of production value like underscoring and sound effects; it's almost more like a one-person audio drama than a reading.

13. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    I've watched Clone Wars and the last 2 seasons of Rebels (the first season isn't available on XD anymore, but I get the jist of things). I've read Aftermath and the Han Solo and Leia stories, not much else. I'm hoping to pick up a copy of the newer novels at the library soon, though. It's refreshing to see that some of the authors who wrote for the EU are also writing for the new canon.

14. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I like eating double stuff oreos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Just finished reading "Bloodline" last night. It was really solid!

16. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    I'm about halfway through the book myself. Liking what I'm reading!

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

17. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm reading "A New Dawn" right now. I'm enjoying it so far

BPStoyle likes this.
  18. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003