main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond The Movies Support Group and Discussion Thread--All for the EU lover in you!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Bale, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    :) Welcome to the Expanded Universe Discussion Thread! :)

First, some guidelines:

What this thread is:
    This thread is first and foremost a gathering place for those writers and readers who have a fondness for expanding our knowledge of the Star Wars universe. It is intended to be a resource for those seeking to go beyond the trilogies to expand our knowledge about what we see and don't see in the Star Wars movies. This thread is to discuss the joys and/or challenges readers and writers face when trying to fill in the "missing pieces."

What this thread is not:
    This thread is not a forum for bashing writers, readers, or proponents of Alternate Universe. Nor is it a place to debate fanon versus canon. Additionally, while this thread may in the future also serve an indexing function, wantonly advertising fics is not permitted.

Failure to abide by these guidelines will result in any or all of the following: being trampled by stampeding banthas, being fed to the sarlaac, or being turned over to the forum moderators and their devious devices. [face_devil]

That said, pull up a comfy seat, make yourself at home, and join in the fun!
    What are your TF.N reading/writing interests?

What is your definition of Expanded Universe?

Why do you enjoy reading/writing EU fics?

2. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    A few handy resources:
    [link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page]Wookiepedia[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/21265079/p1/?2670]OC Writers Anonymous[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/22112407/p1/?88]World Building[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/26188263/p1/?14]Earth Words and Their Star Wars Equivalent[/link]

3. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    RESERVED

4. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    RESERVED

5. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    RESERVED

6. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Alright, tremendous idea for a thread Bale!

OC driven stories, particularly ones that can fit within the EU with making it AU. AU's are great and all but I found myself becoming confused between EU canon and Fanon when I would read them.

With EU TF.N stories (especially with OCs) there's a certain challenge to getting them to fit in with what's established in the EU.

The novels, the comics, the t.v. shows...anything authorized by Lucas. I consider the games EU as well, but since I don't play them, I'm at a loss as to how most fit in with the established continuity.

Also, background characters in the films; like when a camera pans the podrace stadium; or the Cantina Scene. Maybe a face pulled out of the crowd outside the Ampitheatre in RotS...when an author fanon or pro incorporates them I get a little excited about it.

Most of the EU I read don't touch upon the "major players" or their children; I like EU fics that incorporate some of the lesser known/used characters that are in the continuity. Characters such as Hethrir, or the Wraiths, or the Clone Commmandos.

The soldier stories are usually easier to follow, because they're mainly OC driven. Authors make up their own X-Wing or Clone Commando groups all the time, so I get the feel from those EU stories, but with the OC feel I really dig.
    (It's also less confusing for me as referenced with Fanon vs Canon reality thing for me. :p )

7. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Though I?m known for being a canon purist in the debate threads, when it comes to fanfic I?m quite eager to exploit EU elements.

A lot, lol. From Au?s to Canon to EU centri. Canon characters or OCs (Though I admit that I prefer reading ?bout canon characters) it all works. My specific preference lies in Obi/Ani fics.

Anything that is not the movies.

It gives me more events and characters to work with :) I love the whole Jabiim/Ventress thing the most I think.

8. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey, great idea for a thread, especially since a whole bunch of the fics her are set during the EU.

Kyp centric stories are my favorites to read, especially if they have Han in them as well. But I also love to read about Wedge and the Rogues and Wraiths, as well as Sithly!Jacen. He's oodles of fun.c

For writing, I like to write fics that deal with the Kyp, Han relationship, since that basically gets ignored after the JAT, and I also like to explore Sithly!Jacen. There are so many possibilities with him, it's almost overwhelming.

Everything excluding the games, which are never referenced in the books. You could make the argument that the books aren't EU, but if Lucas never intended them to be included in the canon of Star Wars, he wouldn't have authorized them, or would have said something to that effect.

Because quite frankly, I find it more interesting to write about character X who's less well known than say, Anakin and Obi-Wan. You have more options, and stories about EU characters don't just tend to fall into the same type of redeemed/unredeemed/mission capture pattern that the fics about the Golden Duo do.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome idea for a thread :D

Mostly Beyond fics, and of those, mostly in the NJO and beyond. I like Jaina/Jag fics, and I've been known to read some Anakin/Tahiri. I don't often read Rogue/Wraith fics, but the few I have I've really enjoyed. My favorite of all of these types are AUs :)

Anything that's not the movies (in other words, books and comics). Not sure about games, because I've never played them and I'm not sure how they really fit in, like ale said.

I just like those characters more, and always have. Plus, IMO, there's more you can do with them.

10. Rebel_Radio

Rebel_Radio Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006

I love A/T, especially young A/T or married A/T (which generally means that Anakin didn't die), but I'm okay with other 'ships. I especially like action (obviously) and military stuff.

Whatever's not in the movies, or what gets a very, very background role. We saw Quinlan Vos in a cantina in some episode or the other, and Obi-Wan mentioned him in RotS, but I still consider that kind of stuff EU.

To me, the movies always seemed somehow... strict. I like writing EU because it's before/after/in between the movies, so anything can happen. That free feeling really drives me to write EU.

11. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    What are you TF.N reading/writing interests?
    I write mostly AU, but I like to work within the EU as a framework as there is a lot more room. There is more room to tell differnt stories or retell them from another point of view. The EU is more interesting and larger to me.
    Anything that does not happen in the timeframe of a movie. Whatever happened in between, before, or after the movies is EU.
    Why do you enjoy writing EU fics?
    There is so much more room! Working just within the saga gets really tough after a while. The EU gives you a lot more time to work and more characters. More fun, basically.

12. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    I'm an EU girl at heart. It's all about the Chiss and Imperials, and nearly always Thrawn-centric.

The games, books... Anything expanded on that might appear in the movies in a "blink and you'll miss" type scenario.

Room for expansion, as the name suggests. OC's tend to fit in snugly without looking far removed from a situation. I enjoy reading EU fics, as the characters seem to be more developed than those you see on-screen, as they have a wealth of books and authors behind them (see: NJO!).

13. GraySaberFreque

GraySaberFreque Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2006
    What are your TF.N reading/writing interests? Writing wise, I enjoy to write OCs and about subjects that go beyond EU without being AU. Reading wise, anything basically, I do prefer those with the YJK crew and OCs.

What is your definition of Expanded Universe? Anything that is outside of the movies, even some fan-fics that fit inside EU.

Why do you enjoy reading/writing EU fics? Because it's great to see what other people think can/would happen to or with a group of characters

14. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    What a great idea for a thread!!! :D

Just about everything! I love canon and EU-speculation 'fics, as well as AU's (even the far-fetched ones)!

I'll read most pairings, but draw the line at Jaina/Zekk. For some reason, that 'ship has never grown on me.

Anyway, my favourite 'ships to read are J/T, A/T, V/T, J/J, K/J, V/J, L/M, H/L, etc...

:p

Anything that's not in the movies.

Because there's so many cool characters now. My all time favourite SW character of all time is Tahiri Veila, and because of her lack of page time lately [face_frustrated] I felt compelled to read/write fanfic with her starring. :)

Plus, the whole "Anakin Solo death" really bugged me, and I turned to fanfic to bring him back. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.