main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Bib Fortuna (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DannyD, Feb 12, 2022.

1. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Couldn't see a thread for this character and his total 5 seconds of action in the Book of Boba Fett. Mods: Please merge/lock/annihilate if something already exists.

Big spoilers here for anyone who hasn't been introduced in any shape or form to TBOBF.

You have been warned...

Bib Fortuna greets Boba Fett with a "I thought you were dead!" line. Boba shoots Bib.

We all assumed, while watching TBOBF, this was revenge for Bib seemingly being involved in killing the Tuskens that helped Boba, via the Kintan (?) Striders swoop gang.

Boba destroys the gang. We know the Pykes actually killed the Tuskens and arranged for it to look like the KS gang's doing. Boba kills them in revenge (erroneously). But they weren't nice guys so...that's the end of that.

But what about Bib?

The KS gang seem to be associated with Bib, but I can't see something definitive that links them together. Have I missed something?

If they are linked to Bib, then Boba kills Bib erroneously too, after Bib's "friendly greeting".

But Bib's greeting does seem to me delivered with genuine surprise to see Boba alive, and there is no obvious link (I think) to Bib and the KS gang.

So if there is no Bib-KS gang link, then Boba kills Bib solely to claim the power of the throne. That's pretty ruthless to add to all his other ruthless stuff in TBOBF.

Which is it? Error or ruthlessness? Why does Boba call Bib a traitor (or something similar)?

The switching narrative tumelines of TBOBF mask an "obvious explanation". Is there a link to some other material we haven't seen in TBOBF (e.g., comics)?

Or have I just not watched the series closely/often enough? Lol.

whostheBossk, Sproj and Riv_Shiel like this.
  2. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Your guess is as good as anyone else's. Pretty funny that this was a fairly central point as background for the original post-credit scene to show we would get this show. Shall we just be done with it and say Bibs double crossed him somehow and somehow Boba made it square...somehow?

3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Sounds like a story for a comic that I won't buy.

4. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head about this (even temporarily). Bib wasn't portrayed as a nice guy at any point so Boba's ruthlessness in taking over is overlooked.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  5. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I assumed the “I thought you were dead” line was just him thinking Boba bought it at the Pit of Carkoon.

my kind of scum likes this.
  6. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    That's what I though too. But why did Boba kill Bib? Revenge for the (false) Tusken massacre or something else, which Boba implies he's a traitor about.

Or just Boba being ruthless?

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This was so sloppily written. I have a feeling that there was a problem with a bunch of footage that rendered it unusable. Why have Boba mention being double-crossed by Bib, and then…nothing? Especially given how coldly and ruthlessly he treated Bib, while allegedly being his reborn and more merciful self. It’s baffling on multiple levels.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Could Boba have killed Bib for running out on them when Luke unleashed his Jedi powers on Jabba's gang? It's possible in Boba's point of view Bib betrayed Boba's client, Jabba, then took Jabba's throne now the Hutt was dead.

whostheBossk and Sarge like this.
  9. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Yeah certainly possible but in a show where it was a key plot point, it really should have been made explicit.

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s weird considering how big of a moment it should be.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm of the belief that something may have happened to a lot of footage that rendered it unusable. There are simply too many odd plotlines that go absolutely nowhere.

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Man, Bib really sold Boba out. Before the Sarlacc pit scene in ROTJ Boba had an agreement with Bib that if he by chance was accidentally knocked into the Sarlacc by a blind guy then Bib had to come back and fish him out! Instead Bib left him the Sarlacc pit!!! What a jerk!

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, Boba Fett assumed Bib would personally jump into the Sarlacc and rescue him asap,lol. Preposterous and dumb writing on this show, ruined more than a few characters often without care or explanation.

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm choosing to believe Boba wanted to remain on Tattooine and wanted something to do. Killing Bib and taking on the rule of kingpin was that something.

15. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Where can I find this explanation?

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    All that can be possibly be gleamed from this wacky series was basically boils down that 1) Boba felt betrayed by Bib as its sorta implied it something to do with being left to die in the Sarlacc with no search and rescue attempt 2) at anther point in the story Fett may not of liked the answer on whether or not he could get his ship back if he were to go back and ask Bib for it, but he never bothered to ask Bib because he felt insecure without his beskar armor before he could confront him. 3) Fett and Fennec don't like Bib cause he's fat and running things out've Jabba's old palace.

Fett making of the most moronically comical and self-destructive attempts to get his armor from outve the Sarlacc imaginable , one could not blame Bib for not even trying to get Fett out - provided if this was ever a deal or reality to begin with.

Fett gets Stockholm syndrome from his abusive slave captors, yet doesnt kill any of them but for some reason Bib must die cause he's fat and on Jabba's throne. Its like they wanted a cool scene and a face character to off, so they had Fett murder Bib in Mandalorian to draw people into a quagmire.

It turns out in the actual Fett show, killing Bib in cold blood and to take over the criminal organization, just never made any sense. This version of Fett gave lots of lesser characters, a few that tried to kill him even, a chance to join him . This version of Fett is so out've his depth and league on how to run a criminal organization its just stupid as to why he wanted to in the first place, often he has to reply on Fennec for brains when she's just a assassin and bounty hunter like he was.

This version of Fett is all over the place, at times he says he "doesnt care about money"( a cold blooded bounty hunter making a living for years plus Jango) and other times he wants his money tribute and would kill to get it. He sets his himself up more a halfbaked benevolent tyrant running a protection racket and extortion scheme and doubles as a corrupt town's criminal but good sheriff with his deputy Fennec. Its woefully apparent there really isnt anything criminals can do now to make a living with this version of Fett . He tells people what prices to pay or else. This character can all of sudden go from making demands on private businesses and criminal outfits by force or intimidation. He murder by mistake a group of bikers to avenge the deaths on his Tusken slavers or can go to being simply anti-spice altogether and make a lot of other criminal rivals and Tatooine denizens angry and retaliatory.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Entire thing with Bib Fortuna in BOBF made no sense. Boba Fett claims Bib double-crossed him and then kills him in cold blood. For no apparent reason since we never learn when or how Bib double-crossed him....
    This whole thing with Bib and Boba bothered me more than anything else in the show really. Well maybe not having main character in one episode at all bothered me a bit more...
    But they setup this entire show by killing Bib Fortuna for no real reason at all...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Luck of the Bib.

whostheBossk likes this.