main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Bits of lore from Legends that have been negated with Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Galactic Bibliophile, Mar 20, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    ^Did they change colors via purifying or swap out the crystal?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The crystal was unstable, the blade was red, and he used the Force on the crystal. By the end of the process the blade was no longer red but yellow - and it was the same crystal.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jaden_Korr's_third_lightsaber

Kato Sai likes this.
  3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Making the Sith species as well as their Ancient Empire canon again, and finally seeing those things on screen, are among my most urgent wishes for Star Wars!

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Kato Sai likes this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's not "on screen," but I hope you're reading the current Doctor Aphra comics if you're not already doing so.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If we're talking things from Legends that you regret being negated by canon? Hobbie surviving Hoth, full stop. Yes, Legends itself negated the original novelization on that, but so what? Not only was that still status quo for decades of my life, but ROTJ directly recycled the original plot point with Arvel Crynd and the Executor anyway. This is like insisting like there's still another guy named Han Solo out there during the OT who's a green-skinned alien with no nose.

(Also, as much as I was a fan of Veers Watch... the fact that Veers still did survive makes the whole thing seem even more pointless).

6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Heaven't read any of the Aphra comics so far, this makes me really curious. Do they have some interesting stuff about the ancient Sith Empire?

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

7. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Not very like that Black Sun in Canon is even in its best days just one of the most powerful syndicates, while in EU it was The Syndicate, clearly the most powerful non-government force in the galaxy. There was also an interesting interaction, that was especially emphasized in Darth Plagueis - while Black Sun corrupted the Republic, it also was somewhat a guarantee of current system's stability and was quite close to actually liquidating Hego (via using nuclear weapon) - one of the most dangerous moments for the Sith before the start of the Clone Wars.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  8. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    If Lucas felt that Jedi were supposed to be (celibate) monks, would it have killed him to mention it at some point between 1977 and 2002?

As late as Rogue Planet you had Thracia Cho Leem being introduced as a Jedi who had married many times on many planets, and nothing in the canon contradicting that. Attack of the Clones was kind of a giant curveball to throw at canon at that stage in the process.

9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Whatever you Jedi do, don’t have families and pass on the Force that way! No make converts and tell em “no love for you!” :p

10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    In the EU, they felt less like a syndicate in the mafia sense and more like Bond villains, the galaxy's version of SPECTRE. With the Hutts being the more ordinary crime syndicates.

This being Star Wars, even SPECTRE is still not the apex predator of the shadow world, but that's still pretty high.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    As far as "lore from legends negated by canon?" I think the times I was most annoyed was when they made a change for what seemed like absolutely no reason. Like, when TCW introduced a planet that was an ancient Sith graveyard, and called it "Morabund," I was like "it's Korriban. Oh my God, it's clearly Korriban. Yes, I realize there's no reason Korriban can't have two names, and I'm sure the EU will retcon this soon enough so that Morabund is another name for Korriban, and sure enough they did. But seriously, what in the world did we gain by bigfooting a perfectly good Sith planet with a planet that's the same in all but name?"

Nom von Anor and iFrankenstein like this.
  12. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Morabund was stupid

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    What is odd is some legends get plowed away, others get cherry picked, cough dark empire cough TROS.

14. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Moraband is a cooler name

15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Well at least Korriban and Moraband have ban in the name.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe George felt that Jedi celibacy was a spoiler for AOTC? After all, look at how The New Essential Guide to Characters says that Darth Sidious only appears in TPM and AOTC.

Kato Sai likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    What is hypocrtical is Yoda and Kenobi want Luke to be a Jedi, the Seed of Anakin, because he’s powerful enough to challenge The Chosen One, proving you get powerful Force Users by blood. So its ok to use the spawn of a Jedi if it means undoing Vader and Palyps in a crisis, but once that’s done back to celibacy and converts. (Book of Boba Fett Luke Skywalker).

18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    No; an unidentified being who looks like the Legends Sith species is shown in one panel of the most recent issue.

There's interesting stuff in the series for sure (including little bits of Sith lore, including the Darkseekers in the current arc), but this specific example isn't much more than a visual easter egg.

Darth Caliban and darklordoftech like this.
  19. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    @Kato Sai

The Jedi never actually had a rule about celibacy. So there’s no hypocrisy in training children of Jedi

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I do have to second the Ryloth thing (and yes technically that occurred back in legends, but it was still a change that did little but make the planet more generic).
    Though interestingly, there have been a few canon references to nightlands and daylands. I wonder if they will make some twilek colony world tidally locked like old ryloth.

And that Luke's jedi order this time around seems smaller, less active, and not the "do it yourself" blend of different force traditions and self-taught techniques that it was back in legends. Feels like we miss out on some fun stories that way.

Black Sun being made into a Falleen only, or at least Falleen dominated, gang when it was fairly diverse before and Xizor was unique among his species for doing something like that really bugs me for reasons I can't quite place.

The GCW being over a year after Endor. Like, it didn't have to be some eternal thing like in legends, but like 3 or 4 years would give the New Republic some time to plausibly build up to a level where they could fight the Empire head on.

Relatedly, I feel sad we don't get a Liberation of Coruscant. It was a cool finale for two star wars rts games. The Rebel troops pulling an Iwo Jima flag move on the world is one of my favorite images in legends. Just, star wars doing a full brutal urban combat battle - star wars takes a lot from World War 2 so doing something inspired by Stalingrad and Berlin. Oh, and feels like a natural capstone to the war - take the capital, gain legitimacy, win the galaxy.
    Doubly so that getting Rise of Skywalker instead of Duel of the Fates we miss that for the Resistance Era as well. Though since star wars loves to recycle ideas, maybe it could be worked back into the conflict between TLJ and ROS?

Finally not quite what the thread is about - heck, not remotely what the thread is about - but I do love that in canon the Empire fragmented into multiple states rather than just New Republic and Imperial Remnant (I mean, I guess you could call the imperial warlords different states, but they felt rather interchangeable), and I hate how nothing has been done with that for years...oh well, as long as it exists, there is always hope of being brought back.

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I would say yes, but expect bite-sized tidbits rather than huge swaths of exposition and big recanonizations. I'm also guessing that not all of it lines up with the old Legends stuff perfectly. But there are definitely intriguing glimpses into canon's version of the Sith to be had, particularly in the current arc.

Darth Caliban and darklordoftech like this.
  22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    they aready use both names in canon

Darth Caliban likes this.
  23. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I definitely prefer Korriban, Moraband being a real "scary" word misspelled makes it too much like a 90's comic book name to me.

24. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    That’s how you can tell it’s a Lucas original.

25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Actually its brought up several times in AOTC:

Anakin: I’d rather dream about Padme,

Obi-Wan: Be careful Anakin, your thoughts betray you. You have made a commitment to the Jedi Order, a commitment not easily broken.

Padme: Are you allowed to love? I thought love was forbidden for a Jedi.

Anakin: Attachment forbid.

Anakin: Put the ship down!

Obi-Wan: Don’t let your personal feelings get in the way!

Anakin: go back!

Obi-Wan: You will be expelled from the Jedi Order!

Every instance indicates the Jedi Rule is Celibacy in these dialogues.

The poster for AOTC:
    [​IMG]

The whole tension is that Jedi can’t marry, hence Anakin and Padme get married in secret.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Golbolco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.