main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Black Sun Collectors Club Informational Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediAutobot, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    No not informercial!

First, I'm sorry about the lateness of my thread. Work is an evil thing. Two works is even worse :)

Wondering about the club have you? Hard to see what Carrie intends? Knowledge I will share.

The first ever Collectors Club will begin meeting monthly at Graham Crackers Wheaton. The first date is June 22, a Sunday at 4:30 pm.
    So what does this all mean. It's easy to say if you are a collector, then show up. But what will we do, what will we talk about?
    This club will be a Collectors Exchange. Now I know that sounds nice, but what does it mean? One facet of this will be the Collectors Thread we already have started on the boards. We already have been posting on finds throughout the Chicago area. I want to take that a step further and actually have a meeting place to trade toys. Some people have been known to pick up a figure or two for another person. This takes a certain amount of trust. By meeting up, we can put a face to a username and build that trust. I'm not saying anyone who joins the club has to run out and buy two of everything, just that if someone states they are looking for a Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike, you look out for one or give up that extra one you've been wanting to sell. This isn't meant to be an Ebay, retail price would be the going rate. I for one am not a scalper, I just like knowing that it is going to a good home. Of course if you ARE a scalper, we would ask that you keep it on Ebay.
    If you don't want to hear a story skip this paragraph, if you do, pull the chair closer to the monitor and listen. The names have been changed to protect the not so innocent ;) Once upon a time there was a collector named Jacen (pronounced J-A-S-O-N). Jacen was on the Rim and came across the AOTC preview figures. After securing his set, he bought three more. Jacen knew he had a lot of friends back on Corusant were looking for these toys. Even with buying four sets, there were still plenty left, and Jacen was torn, should he buy more? Jacen's wife, not sure that he could get rid of the toys he had, and convinced that the extra toys would end up taking up more space, encouraged him to just get that. Jacen agreed, he was already getting three extras. Jacen traveled back to Corusant and reveled to his friends his find. Within ten minutes, three of his friends had claimed the extra sets. Jacen's wife was amazed by the collecting frenzy, and said next time Jacen would have to buy more.
    The point of the story? Don't listen to your significant other? Of course not! The point is I like to type a lot of stuff....wait no! The point is, a group of friends can be a good network for toying buying, as the story above is how I got MY preview set.
    So I want the Collectors Club to establish a network of friends, ones who will look out for you, ones you can brag to and yes even envy you. And how do we become of network of friends. Posting on the boards is one way, meeting face to face and hanging out is another. That's right, hanging out. So the first meeting will be a meet and greet, talk some SW, pull out a board game, have a SW type video playing in the background. We all share a common interest in Star Wars and a specific interest in collecting, so let's talk.
    A lot of activities will depend on everyone's interest. Lego maniacs? I got some ideas for that. Love the comics? You know I'm there for that. WizardWorld is coming up in August, want to go on a shopping trip? Can't go, but want to send a list along? Kane County has a toy fair in the fall, who wants to hit that? Having a collector of the month, been thinking on that, remind me to corner our webmaster on that. Want to start collecting toys, cards, comics, etc. but not sure how to start? Talk to our panel of experts! These are all topics open for discussion. I have plenty of ideas, but this club is for ALL of us, so I want your input. So show up on the 22nd, and we'll talk.

But wait! There's more!
    Besides donating space and TV usage to the Collector Club. Jimmy, our intrepid manager

2. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I also want to say thanks for so much interest in this.

"All is proceeding as I have forseen."

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, you're a day late. ;) My thread was first. :p

Anyways, this sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to get there! If you check out the thread I posted last night, people have posted their ideas for what might happen at these meetings, so maybe we could decide on what will actually happen. :)

Anyways, this sounds great! (And go over to the other thread and read what we've said! )

4. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Sithy, Sithy, Sithy!
    First off, this thread is almost a week late. I promised something after last Wednesday, my intention being to post something last Thursday. Well you see how that worked.
    I did read what you posted. And everyone else for that matter. I read that so I could include what was said, and hopefully answer questions brought up (you did see that little blurb about me already thinking about a collector showcase thing right? I put that in because I read your thread)

So there :p

5. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I think a better statement in there, Autobot, whould have been to say:

If you are a scalper, do us a favor and shoot yourself.

I should be able to make it that day. Not making a guarantee, yet. But hopefully.

6. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Shhhh...I want to lure scalpers there so we can jump em and get their toys.

(Why oh why can't I find a Clone Trooper and Speeder Bike that been out for months!)

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    OOoooooOOOOOOooooo, I'll finally get to meet JediJeff. [face_shocked] Weird...

Oh, and yes, scaplers... Shoot yourselves, please.

And Carrie, I only saw the Speeder Bike Clonie once (there were like 3 of them at Wal-Mart) and I bought one. I'm so glad I did, because I've never seen them again. :)

Ah, well, and about the threads, yes, I noticed the collector's showcase thing, very good. :p Perhaps this thread could be the announcment thread, and the other could be the discussion one? Or maybe vice-versa or something. Either way, let's figure it out. :p

8. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Carrie...which Clone trooper? 12"? or 3 3/4?

....and which speeder bike? Darth Tyranus'?

I have been looking Anakin's swoop and Darth Tyranus' Geonosian speeder as well...they were both supposed to be released in February.....rats......I supposed I will be going to e-bay looking for those shortly...

:(

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Carrie...which Clone trooper? 12"? or 3 3/4?

....and which speeder bike? Darth Tyranus'?
    "

The Clonetrooper Speeder Bike... There's only one. :p

10. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I have been unsuccessful in finding the Deluxe Figure of the Clone Trooper with speeder bike. I also would like the 12' Biker Scout. Saw it at Detroit Con for $60, very tempting, only $10 more than original retail. I think if I see it for that at WizardWorld, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

I have the Anakin and Speeder box, and saw the Dooku speeder at the same time. That's another good thing to do for fellow collectors, toy hiding, not that I'm advocating that of course.

11. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Just read this off of rebelscum

You Collect? Maybe Bantha Tracks Wants Your Story
    Philip: We're looking for your collecting stories and pictures for Bantha Tracks!

Bantha Tracks #5, shipping with Insider #71, will highlight fan collectors. Not just any collectors, mind you, but collectors who fall in these special categories:

1) Metro Collections. Do you have an extra cool Star Wars display that fits in a small space? Helpful tips for collectors who are apartment dwellers? Share them with Bantha Tracks!

2) Kid Collectors. Some kids have extra special collections. Submit your child's collection photos to Bantha Tracks, and any special stories that might go with them.
    3) Custom Creators. There are some extremely creative fans out there who create amazing original treasures. We're looking for your stories and pictures.

Bantha Tracks Submission guidelines: Any original art, envelope art, comics, illustrations, news, stories, meeting information, or any materials voluntarily submitted become the property of Bantha Tracks. No compensation will be given for voluntary submissions, and there is no guarantee of publication. Submissions to Bantha Tracks will not be returned. Each submission must include the creator?s name, Official Star Wars Fan Club membership number, age, contact information, date the work was created, and a statement that the work is original, created by the person submitting it. All work must involve existing characters in the Star Wars universe. Send Electronic files to BantaTracks@paizo.com, or send your snail mail to: Bantha Tracks, C/O Paizo Publishing, 3245 146th Place SE, Suite 110; Bellevue, WA 98007. If you have any questions on these guidelines please email BanthaTracks@paizo.com.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you!

Mary Franklin
    Director of Marketing and Operations
    Editor, Bantha Tracks
    Paizo Publishing, LLC

12. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    maybe in your mind there is only one, Sithman...but not in mine!

8-}

13. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Wow! This is going to be so cool! I am super pumped!! WHOOOO HOOOO!!

\\TAKES A MOMENT TO CALM DOWN\\

Some thoughts:

I read some of your complaints about inability to find figures and vehicles. I have been able to find everything that has appeared at retail in the Chicago area. "How is that possible?" you ask. "Does this guy have a job or does he just go around from store to store all day?" No my friends. Go to rebelscum.com. Click on the forums. Click on a thread category way down the page called "Look What I Found." There you will find a thread called Chicagoland Spring/Summer. I have my two clonetroopers with speederbikes because of that thread. I have Ephant Mon because of the Fall/Winter thread. I can't even begin to count the number of figures and vehicles I have gotten because of reading the postings of my fellow Chicagoland collectors. And what's more, I know that my own posts have helped many of our brethren.

What I'm trying to say in my long-winded, round-about way is that IN SOME WAYS the community we are talking about creating here already exists there. A guy I have never met bought Ephant and the clone speeders for me. I returned the favor just a few weeks later by picking up the two trash compactor sets for him. People are so good at posting everything they find, where they find it, and when they were there. It is incredibly helpful.

Thus, I would like to propose that as far as the "Look What I Found" aspect of our group, why not use the rebelscum forum? Think of how much our resources in this particular area will be enhanced if we combine forces with those guys as opposed to running 2 forums that essentially do the same thing.

Another option just came up yesterday. One of the regular rebelscum posters (screen name: Dustrho) has just floated the idea of starting his own forum - independent of rebelscum's - that focuses solely on Illinois collectors. I myself (my screen name there is Mr. Ackbar) opined that it doesn't make sense if we are just going to be doing the same thing we are already doing at rebelscum, but maybe this is an opportunity to "unite the clans" (as William Wallace would say) in a more visible and concrete way. I dunno. However, there is definite strength in numbers so why have 3 different "Look What I Found" type forums (the possible new and independent one; rebelscum's; and chicago force's) when we can all share information together.

(Oh, I should also say that I mentioned this meeting on the rebelscum Chicagoland thread. I hope that is OK. All of my dealings with the guys there have been super. Besides, the more the merrier, right?)

However, whatever shape this new venture becomes virtually, we can definitely do some unique and special things by meeting as a group once a month in the real world. The idea of using the meeting to build trust so that collectors can buy for each other and from each other is fantastic. The corollary to that, that all scalpers will be summarily dropped into a sarlacc pit, is also a great idea. I can just see some turd walking into Graham Crackers one day because he heard of our little group and trying to sell Ephant Mon for $20 a pop. He or she needs to be slowly digested over a thousand years. I love the idea of focusing on one collector a month as well. I would add to that something I floated in another thread. After some time and trust have been built up, perhaps some collectors would like to host the event at their abode in order to really show off what they've got. This is something I MIGHT be interested in down the road.

You see, it is one thing to share information over the net about where to find the latest toys. It is quite another to share with someone the pride you have in your collection. Sharing that pride with someone who can truly appreciate what it means would truly be wonderful. As JediAutobot said, creating a "network of friends" is what will really be special about this group.

Oh, and I think that we should give ourselves a name, like the Black Sun Toy Hunters or some such

14. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    I also second Sithman's thoughts on having action figure discussions at our meetings. I think those discussions would be very helpful to a lot of us. Until I re-acquired the action figure fever last year, I had no idea that this hobby could get so complicated!

EDIT: Oh and Schph_Gochi, my 883 is just figures and vehicles. It doesn't include beasts, playsets, figure cases, etc. However, I'm not sure if that extra stuff would put me over 1,000 like you.

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "After some time and trust have been built up, perhaps some collectors would like to host the event at their abode in order to really show off what they've got."

I love that idea, but there are certainly no "trust" issues here in the Chicago Force. There are events all the time at people's houses and stuff, it's been happening for a long time. The "trust" issue isn't a problem. :D
    And I love that idea, too: Cuz someone talking about their collection is great, but actually SEEING it, and being able to pick it up (if they let you :p ) and stuff is even way cooler. :D

"Oh, and I think that we should give ourselves a name, like the Black Sun Toy Hunters or some such (someone please think of a better name than that). We can be total nerds down the road and make our own T-Shirts."

Perhaps Chicago Force Collector's Club/Guild? :p Just an idea, of course. ;) :p And, Chicago Force already has T-shirts, so that might work. :p

Oh, and yes, I agree! I do think that focusing on one collector and one figure wave (Saga, POTJ, POTF, etc) per meeting would really help us focus our discussion! :)

16. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    Whew! I can't believe I'm up this late. I never stay up this late. Anyway, I just re-read my post . . . those high school English teachers really know how to prattle on endlessly don't they? No wonder I can never finish grading papers.

Thanks Sithman for the backup. I'm glad you agree with some of my stuff. Also glad to hear how well you guys get along and that you have events at each other's homes all the time. I feel very fortunate to have a chance to become a part of this little community. I have some further ideas for those of you who can never find the figures you want . . . but I'm too tired to talk about that now.

What does Gina always say

NIGHTNIGHTNIGHTNIGHTNIGHTNIGHT

17. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Ooooohhhh....great ideas (we gotta save some for the actual meeting)

Carrie...
    I have the Clone Trooper and Speeder Bike Deluxe...that means that Lou had them (I sometimes forget what i have)....anyway...if you want...call Lou or Larry at "Reach for the Stars"....708-754-4536...if he still has that figure (or anything else you may need....he has a ton of action figures - Red card to new stuff)I can pick it up for you on Saturday morning and bring it along Saturday to the Line Reunion...that goes for the rest of you guys too...he accepts credit cards ...and you can tell him that "Phyllis" will pick them up...and of course ...you all have to let me know if there is stuff I need to pick up for any of you...

and I like "Black Sun Toy Collectors"...I think it is a good name!

18. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    We have had a "tradition" (read, since the begining of the year) of naming clubs after Star Destroyers. The Errant Venture Book Club, the Executor RPG.

I had two idea for a club....

yep, I'm a tease

19. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    gotta try a guess....

Lusankya?

20. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Oooo, guessing game, anyone else?

Also, more topics to discuss, Diorama anyone? Do we know anyone that can or want to try customize figures?

21. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I called to see if Lou has any more of the Clone trooper Deluxe....he doesn't

:(

there is one on e-bay ending in about 9:00 pm tonight....

22. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    I just wanted to throw out some other suggestions for those of you who are having trouble finding figures at retail. I suppose this could have waited for our meeting, but I thought most collectors would want to know this sooner rather than later.

First of all, you aren't alone. Collectors all over the country have been frustrated by the lack of new product hitting retail. Hardly anything has come out since January, and what has arrived has just been a trickle. The first few new figures have been very difficult to find. Things in the Chicagoland area seem to have been especially bad.

Even when there was plenty of product on the shelves back last summer, I found myself driving all over the land trying to track down all the figures and vehicles. I don't even want to think about all the time I spent in the car and all of the money I spent on gas. For me, sometimes going "on the hunt" was fun, but after a while it became tiring.

By hanging out on the rebelscum forums I found a solution to my problems. There are two online companies where you can get your figures for pretty close to retail. Newforcecomics.com sells entire cases of figures for very reasonable rates. If you actually open your figures and play with them, and thus don't mind if your cardbacks and bubbles are a little damaged, you can really do pretty well. A case of "opener" figures from newforce goes for $58.99. That averages to $5.54 per figure AND THAT INCLUDES SHIPPING CHARGES!!!! If you want to get them in pristine condition I think the price is $61.99 per case. You can't beat that with a bat.

The disadvantage is that when you get cases, you often end up with multiples of figures that you don't want. This is where the second company comes in. They are kebcotoys.com and they have something called the "One of Every Figure Club." Here the prices aren't quite as good. They charge $5.99 per figure and right now they don't have a cheaper "opener" price. Also, they will ship you the figures as they get them, meaning you get figures in packs of 3 and 4. This of course means that you are getting charged more for shipping, but you do have the option of telling them to only ship when they have 10 figures ready for you or whatever (personally I don't have the patience). Oh, and you don't HAVE to get one of every figure. You can tell them which ones you want and don't want. You can even get multiples. Right now I'm using a combination of newforce and kebco and it is working really well. I'm not spending half of my weekend looking for toys, I'm not living in peril of missing out on something super rare like Ephant Mon, and if I still get to go "on the hunt" for store exclusives (I just picked up my TRU Imperial Forces two days ago). I would highly recommend these two companies as an alternative to going nuts hunting for figures, or paying high prices at a comic book store or some such.

23. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Going in on a case of prestine in the way to go, IMO. Split them up buy cost, and the figs that are short packed you can get a rotating sched of who gets them. Then the others (deemed here with the term "losers") will just find the figs any other way they can, be it ebay or a resale shop.

Now, for me to be a part of this I'd actaully HAVE to have money, which is in very short supply. Maybe......some day.

24. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    BTW - great ideas, Dak. I haven't had much of a chance to root around the rebelscum forums, but I've been a-planning to.

Also - there is a site call tradefederation.net. Used that place a couple times and there are good people there.

25. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    thanks for the info Jedi Jeff....I am going to have to start lining up my alternatives...

btw...Jeff...I have been putting some thoughts on paper about your backyard/garden...if you are at the party tonight...make sure you see me....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.