main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Black Sun Collectors Club Informational Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediAutobot, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Carrie, just for the record, my thread has a cooler title.

Word.

2. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    All right, since some of you have expressed interest in going in on some cases, Newforce has just posted two new cases. They are:

Collection 1, wave 16
    Code: 51-A00E
    Price: $61.99
    Shipping Weight: 0.00 pounds
    AVAILABLE FOR PRESELL

Manufacturer sealed case scheduled to contain 4 each of Anakin Skywalker Pilot,Scout Clone Trooper,Yoda w/ Hover Chair. ETA is June/July 2003.

AND . . .

Collection 2, wave 17 case
    Code: 61-A004
    Price: $61.99
    Shipping Weight: 0.00 pounds
    AVAILABLE FOR PRESELL

Manufacturer sealed case scheduled to contain (2) Waitress Droid, (2) Night Club Alien, (2)Darth Sidious, (1) Luke Skywalker, (1)Darth Vader, (1) Wat Tambor, (1) Colman Trebor, (1) Ashla and Jempa, (1)Archive Droid. Release is August 2003.

If someone is interested in taking the extra figures I don't want, I'll order these cases instead of doing the one of every figure club with Kebco. The cost of shipping is $7.50 a case, which comes out to about $5.80 a figure if we do the mint cases, or $5.55 if we want to get the "opener" case. I'll order them and bring them to the collectors meeting in July and/or August (or whenever they arrive) and you can purchase them there. Here's what I call dibs on:

From wave 16 I want: 1 Anakin Pilot, all 4 ARC Troopers, 1 Yoda w/ hover chair.

From wave 17 I want: 1 Waitress Droid, 1 Night Club Alien, 1 Darth Sidious, 1 Luke Skywalker, 1 Darth Vader. (Actually, I'm not totally sure about Vader and Luke. I think I might already have them on order from Kebco, but I'm not sure so I figured I'd call dibs on them now.)

From both cases that leaves for whoever wants them: 3 Anakin Pilots, 3 Yodas w/Hover Chairs, 1 Waitress Droid, 1 Night Club Alien, 1 Darth Sidious, 1 Wat Tambor, 1 Coleman Trebor, 1 Ashla + Jempa, 1 Archive Droids.

I would prefer to do opener cases since I'm an opener myself, but I'll spring the extra 25 cents per figure if whoever is down for it wants the minty fresh ones. Let me know what you want folks.

The reason I am asking now, before we meet on the 22nd, is that Newforce pre-order cases tend to sell out very quickly since they are the cheapest around. My guess is that 5-6 days from now they will be sold out. Let me know, yo!

3. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Your assignment, if you choose to accept:
    Objective: To break the ice, have some fun, and put the collector into the collectors club.
    Materials: Your favorite Star Wars collectible, holophoto acceptable as a substitute

At the June collectors meeting, your assignment is to bring the above material. Holos are acceptable if item is too large or delicate to transport via hyperspace. Be prepared to explain WHY this is your favorite collectible, HOW you got it and any other story that is appropriate. If holo not available, please draw a representation of your collectible with your favorite crayons. If you claim to have a Boba Fett WITH firing jetpack mint on card, we will NOT believe you, even if you bring the drawing. :D

If you choose not to accept this assignment, you can still come anyway, you'll just be forced to talk without any cool visual aids.

With thanks to Darth Astuart for the suggestion.

4. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    looks around Star Wars Room....

drat...favorite too large to bring...

second favorite....
    how does one select....
    kinda like a Lay's Potato Chip...

how can you choose just one?

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmmm, I'm pretty darn sure I know what i'm bringing. :D

(I'll bring pics of my entire collection too, just too look at and stuff)

Yay! :D

6. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    OK, well I guess no one is interested in going in on a case with me for now. That's OK, I might still get them and try to sell off the extras later through the rebelscum boards and some other sources.

Hey Jediautobot, are you aware that the Kane County Toy show is on the exact same day as our meeting of the Black Sun Toy Hunters? (I'm beginning to like "Black Sun Toy Hunters" more and more. Maybe I'll keep using it until we pick a real name or someone gets annoyed with it.)

Anyway, I'm planning on going. They start at 8am and go until 4pm . . . I figure I'll cut out at 3 and drive to Wheaton with (hopefully) all the new toys I'm going to get at the show. Anyone else gonna hit that mug?

7. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Yep, it's suppose to be a cool show.

Funny how it worked out that way!

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, Dan, Mark (JodoKast) is goin' over to that. He started a thread about it like a month back or so. So he should be out there! :)

BTW, you think they would be selling a Jorg Sacul there for... "Reasonable" prices? Because, honestly, I'd die for another Jorg Sacul (you all heard my sorrid story of stupidly only buying one Sacul at the Celebration II :( ). So, if you think they would be selling one there for reasonable prices (like, say, $60 and under), you think you could pick one up for me and bring it to the Black Sun meeting? :)

If you'd be up for that, couldja send me a PM or e-mail me at Monkey2ewok@attbi.com? We could work out the details there or somethin'! :) :D

Anyways, Black Sun... I like it. :D (What does Black Sun do again? Wasn't it something with commerce or trading or something? :confused: Man, I need to read Shadows of the Empire again! :p )

9. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Okay, here's some nominees for a name

Black Sun: From Shadows of the Empire, cool smuggling organization From Phyllis

Katana Fleet: From the Zahn Trilogy, the long lost fleet, legendary desire of tresure hunters.

Chimaera: From the Zahn Trilogy, Grand Admiral Thrawn flagship. Thrawn maintains a great collection of artwork.

The last two are from me. Can't you tell what I've been reading for the Schaumburg book club? The thought of the Grand Admiral's flagship is cool to me. Black Sun just rolls off the tongue. Katana Fleet, that rare find. What ya think?

10. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Actually....Black Sun was Dak's idea....and it is a great name...

but I gotta admit...Katana Fleet is also really accurate as it was sometimes thought the Katana Fleet was a mythology (like a lot of the stuff we look for can be at times).....

And Dak...also...right now, I still have my connection at Reach for the Stars...but when his lease runs out next year...I will gladly go into partnership with you on the purchase of cases.

I have been spending some time lately in the Fan Force Collector's forum and one thing is abundantly clear....mostly all of us who collect are getting pretty exasperated...
    If ALL of the colletors could somehow put pressure on Hasbro to assemble "Collector's Cases"...as in one of each...it could be a start...I am sure that we would all pay a little extra for the case of one of each.

..don't know that it would do much good...

but certainly there has to be a better and more satifying way than beating our heads into a wall, running around from store to store, or searching endless websites and scalpers....etc....well....it is worth discussion...
    and....

if we come up with something good.....

I nominate Sithman to take the good ideas to the Collector's forum at the Fan Force....

I know some folks like the "challenge" of the hunt.....but frankly....I don't need any more challenges in my life....

:D

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "if we come up with something good.....

I nominate Sithman to take the good ideas to the Collector's forum at the Fan Force...

Sure, no problem. As an "AC Member", that is actually one of the forums I represent (Music, Games, and Collecting). :) So, great! Something to discuss! :)

As far as name's go...

The "Katana Collector's Fleet"... Appealing! :) I like the idea that's behind it (being the super-sought-after thing for a century like collectibles).

"Black Sun Collector's Guild"... It's just so... COOL (mysterious, intriguing, etc)! :D

Ahhh, I can't decide!

Oh, and are we bringing food? Is someone already planned to have food? This club sounds like a blast, and I'm sure it'll go on for a long time due to all the talking I'm sure we'll all do. If we don't get food after the first hour or two... We may not have the strength to pull ears off a gundark. :(

Anyways, so, what's the deal with grub?

12. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    Sithman- I can't believe that you are griping about only having 1 Sacul. You need two?!? I'd like to find my first one.

I went to the last show in April and I think I may have seen a Sacul for $65 then, but that may be wishful thinking. I'm personally gonna hold out for lower prices (or, possibly, trading one or two of the convention exclusive silver Boba Fetts that will be available at the Chicago con and the Indy con), but I'd be happy to buy you one. Shall we set a ceiling of $70 or do you want to keep it under $60? Let me know.

As far as names go, I still like mine - Black Sun Toy Hunters (I especially like the Hunters part)- but I am of course biased. The others also sound good and I think I'll be happy with whatever we choose.

One more thing Sithman, I don't know since I've never even been to Graham Crackers, but I have never seen a comic book store yet that allows you to bring food or drink into the place. They're scared of damage to their products and they certainly don't want to pay for pest control when all the little bugs and rodents get a whiff of our crumbs. Maybe this place will be different, but I doubt it.

Lastly, about these "Collector Cases" direct from Hasbro. I think it is a great idea, but it will never fly. Here's why: Hasbro needs to maintain good relationships with the major retailers. Hasbro has a huge, huge number of different toy lines and the vast majority of those are sold through retail. A product like this will largely cut out regular retail stores (and on-line merchants as well) from the collector market. I think I heard that collectors make up about half of Star Wars sales, the rest are kids walking through the toy aisles of TRU and Walmart. If you start cutting in to the profit margins of those major chains, the retailers are going to be PO'ed. You know what comes next, they stop carrying Hasbro products, or they promote other toy lines more heavily, or whatever. Unless by some miracle Hasbro begins to create their own distribution system for all of their products (and that's not going to happen . . . think about what an investment that would be) Hasbro has to play nice with the Targets of the world. Just my two cents.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Shall we set a ceiling of $70 or do you want to keep it under $60? Let me know."

Nah, it's alright. It's not like you've gotta specifically look for it, either. Just... If you see one... And within that price range, it'd be great if you could pick it up! :) If not... It's not big deal. I'm looking around elsewhere and checking with friends I made at Celebration (in those lines ;) :D ) via e-mail to see if they'd sell me one, if they bought a couple extra or somethin', so it's no big deal. :)

Of course... I'll talk about it there... But if anyone had an extra few Sacul's, or just one they wanted to sell right here in our very own Chicago Force... Well... Like, could you PM me? :D

14. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I'm not sure how much "collector's cases" would cut into the profit margin's of the big chains...doesn't look like the big chain stores in my neck of the woods are even bothering to order any at all....

but worth discussion.....

15. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Sithy, clarification:

Are you asking if we can potluck some snacks, or asking if snacks will be provided.

I'll call our guy Jimmy at Graham Crackers to ask. Besides got more details, just work, work, work, so no time to post a lot.

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Sithy, clarification:

Are you asking if we can potluck some snacks, or asking if snacks will be provided.
    "

Eh, I dunno. Just wondering what's goin on in general with food? Should we all bring it? Is one person already doing so? Are we even allowed to? Or, will we go out afterwards?

You know, just wondering about the basic food situation.

17. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Called Graham Crackers, and realized, it's the monthly manager switch day. Every manager has his own store, but once a month they go to a different store. Why? So each is familiar with other stores in the franchise (9 in all) So Jimmy, our guy is at some other store today, don't know where, and I don't have number to call.
    I will be getting an answer on food.
    Let me give you a better idea on Graham Crackers Wheaton itself (i'm on lunch, little time is available) It is within a two story stip mall next to Fox Bowl and Tuesday Morning. It is on the second floor, an elevator is available to get to the second floor or stairs. The main store has a TV with VCR. The back room (where other clubs meet) has a two or three more tv's, a bathroom. Lots of Dr Who stuff (one of the other clubs) We will be able to spread out into the store. Jimmy has space in the store to set up tables for even more space. I hestitate to say for sure, since I don't know, but I believe the other clubs can have food, it's just limited to the back room. Away from the merchandise kind of thing. Once again, I'll check.

18. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    btw...

Sithman....
    have you considered posting a thread in the Fan Force Collector's forum...just in case someone local posts there but not at Chicago Force?

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    You guys keep saying "Fan Force Collector's Forum", but there isn't any such forum that I'm aware of.

I'm assuming you mean the Jedi Council (or TFN) Collector's Forum, right?

Anyways, nah, I pretty much know everyone there and where they're from... No one lives in Illinois, much less the Chicago area. :)

20. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    yep Sithman...that is the one I meant...

no one from Illinois....

their loss
    :D

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Aight, so who actually is coming to this?

It seems like the only people who have actually said they are gonna be there for sure are myself, Dan, Phyllis, and Carrie.

Who else is coming? It seems like this would interest almost everyone in CF, so I'd think there would be tons of people.
    Can we get a role call or something on who's comin' and stuff?

And, Mark, if you're going- could I hitch a ride from you? :(

22. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Okay, food is cool!
    As a courtesy, if we decide to potluck food, I would suggest keeping it to the back room, lets talk about food closer to the date, since we don't know who all is coming.

Jimmy will be attending, he doesn't have to work, he'll be there, Eric, another Graham Crackers guy will be there. All three of us are working hard to organize some fun stuff for everyone. Neither posts on the boards, but nice guys nonetheless. At the party, I've had a few say they're coming.

Type to you later.

23. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Ya know - I can't go through all that crap. My brain is not in a reading mood.

But anyway - Lt Dak: shoot me an email would you please? jedijeff13@hotmail.com. Let's talk about fig cases and other cool stuufffffffffffffff.

Rock on. Force out. Don't drink the water.

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    ^
    |
    |
    |

What a weirdo. I hope he doesn't come.

:p ;)

25. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003