main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Yours For Only $29.99*, $34.99 in Canada: Black Widow [July 2021]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, Dec 2, 2019.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Taskmaster using a bow as good as Hawkeye there... so, wondering if there's going to be a tie-in to FATWS with Zemo coming back, as we approach potential Thunderbolts given those are the two people who may have studied the Avengers the most...

The2ndQuest likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What did they call him in the trailer? "Signs Taskmaster"?

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You can actually see Weisz' character flying the helicopter as Taskmaster and BW fight in the debris so I don't think she's Taskmaster. If they've altered who Taskmaster is for the film I'm going with O.T. Fagbenle playing him.

4. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    "His call sign is Taskmaster"

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, that makes so much more sense than some arbitrarily added first name. I thought the line was "He's called Sign Taskmaster.", thus the confusion.

Juliet316 and dp4m like this.
  6. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Hardly a surprise at this point.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @The2ndQuest "His call sign is Taskmaster."

Shame about Black Widow. but no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Not that it's important but the jockey of studios will be really interesting to watch.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I figured it would get delayed. It had a premier contest too.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There's a lot of speculation that it could go digital instead if theaters haven't opened by August.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Most of that speculation seems to be stemming from Grace Randolph, though, so there probably continues to be zero likelihood of that happening. Promoting the notion of having a female-led superhero film "shoved off to streaming" also fits her dog-whistle brand too much, which discredits the speculation even further.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  12. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    If we're only talking about a delay until August I agree that's probably not enough to push BW to a strictly digital release. That's only about a 3 month delay.

But on the other hand the movie doesn't exist in isolation. With it's parks shuttered, movie theaters closed, and even some of the ancillary market (hotels, in-flight entertainment) contracted Disney is experiencing a serious revenue pinch. Those account for about 35% of their revenue. That's not something they can ignore for months on end. They've already sunk some money into marketing it for a May release and they'll have to add even more to that for whatever date they push it out to. It is possible that they could eventually get to the point that the numbers end up favoring a digital release.

I think it's one of the last titles they'd pull the trigger on that though. At least domestically. When theaters do open back up they're gonna be hungry for movies like BW that can coax people back and Disney knows they'll be able leverage that towards even more favorable ticket revenue splits.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    A bird in hand is better than two in the bush

14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    There are no birds in hand here though. A big, tent pole movie that skips a theatrical release and tries to become profitable strictly in the aftermarket? No one has ever really tried that. There's no guarantee of marginal success.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At this point, it seems more likely they'll just shift the Marvel schedule around/push Phase 4's start back a slot or two. Because, if current conditions continue, the subsequent Marvel films will be behind schedule in terms of production anyways and probably won't be able to make their release dates. Shang-Chi had been filming for less than a month when quarantine hit and I highly doubt Doctor Strange will be meeting its May start date (and the delays of Loki's production may affect any tie-in release plans). Only Eternals is probably close to being finished as far as non-post work goes (with maybe minimum reshoots remaining).

Assuming the fall/holiday lineup isn't also postponed this year (which is the best case scenario, even if possibly wishful thinking), I think Eternals sticks to it's original release date. Shang-Chi gets delays from Feb to Mar. Black Widow takes Marvel Weekend in May 2021. Strange takes Nov 2021 from Thor, Thor gets bumped to 2022 with Sony likely bumping Spider-Man 3 to 2022 as well. Black Panther II stays on track in this scenario.

So we end up with 2022 looking like BP2, TH4, SM3 and, possibly, a Nov release (if next SW film happens in Dec 2022, then maybe not since they may not want them so close- in which case Marvel might sacrifice the Nov slot as the "catch-up").

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This plan wouldn't work if there were any teasers in Black Widow that served to lead into the next wave of films/TV projects.

And I say that being pretty much spoiler-free for BW and I do wish to remain that way so pretty please if you or anyone else have any spoilerish things to say about BW (and whether or not it has teasers for the next MCU batch of films) please use spoiler tags.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No spoilers I'm aware of, but given its setting, I'd be operating under the assumption that, while it no doubt has connections to future films, it's likely being designed to function more as an Infinity Saga entry in terms of how it is meant to be viewed post-theatrical, like any other MCU film released out of chronological order. The only exception has primarily been the Endgame stinger with Captain Marvel. So, worst case scenario, BW would have something similar that can be viewed in any order (any "I wonder what that means?" just become "Oh, so that's how they connect" in retrospect).

Since my earlier suggestion would only mean BW skipping Eternals and Shang-Chi, it seems like the safest bet since its setting is so far removed from those other films and unlikely to be dealing with the less grounded aspects of the MCU (especially those 6+ years in the future or thousands of years in the past).

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Oh, cool!

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Read: David Harbour didn't get any sort of back end deal to play Red Guardian.

He thinks it would be "fun" because he has no money on the line like the studio does and wouldn't be out any earnings due to it missing a theatrical release.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I would hate any films I'm looking forward to, to be released digitally. I love seeing them in the cinema as it gives a completely different feeling and experience.

But that's not going to happen anyway.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Grievousdude and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am all for David Harbour’s suggestion.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sony just pulled out of this summer altogether. All those movies are now scheduled for 2021 (posted exact dates in the At The Movies thread)

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Disney hasn’t even put Mulan on digital release. This Black Widow talk is pointless.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I think its more likely they push Eternals and move Black Widow to late fall and give it Eternals’ release slot. It’s the perfect film to draw people back to the box office. I think Eternals is going to have trouble with lack of build up if SDCC and any other conventions cancel. But, NYCC might happen given it’s October. So Marvel could use that, build Widow up right before November and then sneak peak Eternals as well.

I don’t see a digital release for Black Widow. Mulan maybe, but not Widow.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001