main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Blade Runner (Original, Black Lotus, 2049, 2099)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, May 12, 2013.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Back to Kit Fisto again? Surely you can do better than that.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Neat, Blade Runner 2049 actually outgrossed Happy Death Day yesterday by 1 million dollars on Cheap Tuesday. (erm is cheap Tuesday movies a thing in the States or izzat only in Canada? Anyway, yeah, a few dollars cheaper on tuesdays anyway).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2017-10-17&p=.htm
    TUESDAY BOX OFFICE
    1. Blade Runner 2049 $1,848,120
    2. Happy Death Day $1,727,445
    3. The Foreigner $1,537,072

did my part actually had 3 other people with me to the 10:15 show yesterday. I'd like to think it contributed. Still fantastic the 2nd time around, even moreso cuz I wasn't trying to play mental detective with the story and just let it flow. I'd think this movie is like Godfather 2, Terminator 2, Empire and Aliens type of sequel where it's clearly a part of the world but it doesn't just shamelessly riff on a greatest hits variation and really does it's own thing.

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, just saw it. I loved it.

Spoiler heavy question:

So, did this film answer the question that Deckard was a replicant? Possibly.

The scene between Wallace and Deckard seems to allude to this and, to me, this is possibly the most controversial scene in the entire film. He mentions that, somehow, the meeting between Deckard and Rachael was planned and "designed". Are the writers kind of retconning that Deckard was programmed in some capacity to answer to his calling by going to the Tyrell building in the first film?

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    No. The writers are maintaining the legendary debate over the matter. After all Wallace says Deckard replies, "I know what's real." If Deckard is human then it was just Wallace trying to mess with his mind. He wanted information and he failed.

BTW, it's up to 194 million.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Yeah, I was half thinking it was just megalomaniacal ranting.

I buy your explanation.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The dialogue was meant to intentionally insinuate both things. That Wallace either had some knowledge about Deckard that he was slowly revealing. Or that Wallace was fishing for knowledge by making his assertions vague and then gauging Deckard's reactions to them.

There's an argument for either angle to be true.

8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It's just going to be one of those "personal preference" type things rather than a definitive explanation. I like that as it gives the personal imagination some room to move. It's almost interactive with your own imagination. This type of quality is rare and precious and is one of the reasons I have now completely blocked out the existence of the SW prequels, so I can transpose my own backstory.

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This opens in China and Japan tomorrow.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

There were prequels?

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes. I quite liked them, even if I have heard that they were not to everybody's taste

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Unfamiliar with them.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    saw this last night .

well the story was better than I expected , like to see it again to catch certain points . it looked fantastic , it actually reminded me of Kubrick's A.I. as much as it did Bladerunner .

however - it really dragged in the second half , I didn't mind the languorous pace early on but when the plot started moving it just kept dragging , I like Ryan Gosling and he's good at pauses , but ffs did we need so many , and all the long gazing at the floor and off into the distance , give it a rest !
    and the music , ugh , were Vangellis not available , that awful Hans Zimmer and his big ugly 'music'.

but it was pretty good movie and it didn't spoil the first one .

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unfortunately, it didn’t do well in China at all. Likely due to the original being unfamiliar there.

So, at this point, it’s best hope at breaking even is from rerelease runs during awards season- and even that will be a stretch (and dependent on what nominations it gets, of course).

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unfortunately, it didn’t do well in China at all. Likely due to the original being unfamiliar there.

So, at this point, it’s best hope at breaking even is from rerelease runs during awards season- and even that will be a stretch (and dependent on what nominations it gets, of course).

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    couple of questions -

were the bald headed kids replicants ?
    did we find out what was in the pot boiling on the stove at the start , was it significant ?

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't think any of the kids were replicants because (1) replicants "can't" reproduce and (2) due to the need for a labor force, replicants are created as adults (at least from what I could tell).

I don't think what was in the boiling pot had any significance, but that scene in Blade Runner 2049 was originally scripted for the original Blade Runner film, so Denis Villeneuve found a way to incorporate it in the follow up film.

gezvader28 likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh well. It is up to 224 million though.

The children were not replicants. One thing to note, all the boys have shaved heads, the girls have trimmed but longer hair. Hence in the memories we thought were of a young boy K the child has the longer hair.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The pot on the stove was from the original Blade Runner script. All of it was.

21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I actually think the flavour of vegemite is enhanced on hot toasted flourless rye bread without butter.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Very relevant.

23. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This starts of with one saying he had a prequel in mind. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

26. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002