main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Bleeding Dry For You (AU -- L/M, Obi-Wan, Ben) COMPLETED! 7/29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Aragorn, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Title: Bleeding Dry For You
    Author: Knight_Aragorn
    Genre: AU, angst, drama, romance
    Disclaimer: Star Wars isn't mine.

A/N: Set during [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/19194059/?217]Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore[/link], but can probably be read on its own. If you want. ;)

Feedback is appreciated!

=======
    =======

BLEEDING DRY FOR YOU

=======
    =======

PROLOGUE

I.

Gleaming dark boots stride over desert. Sands whirls around them, tiny grains flung with savage fury by the winds. A black cloak whips out, caught in the grip of the storm. The roar of the sand and the wind almost drowns out the harsh and inhuman sound of mechanised breathing.

Almost.

A low, rounded shape rises from the sand, its outline hazy in the maelstrom of the storm. A dwelling. The figure approaches it slowly, at a wary stalk. It rounds the building, boots sinking into the sand piled against the rough walls. The wind drops away as the figure steps down into the enclosed entranceway. A gloved fist is raised. On the heavy metal door, it pounds. Once. Twice. A third time.

The figure waits.

The door opens. A young man looks out. His features carry the sturdy, stoic strength of a man accustomed to enduring the unendurable, surviving the unremitting harshness of the Wastes. He sees the dark figure; dread seeps into his eyes. Behind him in the shadows of the hall stands a woman. She has hair the colour of the sandy cliffs, and her gaze is wide and fearful. Her clothes, like the man?s, are practical and unadorned.

Behind the woman is a child. The edge of a beige tunic can be seen, and, below, a small pale hand that clutches tightly at the woman?s plain skirt. The hand shifts, and there is glimpsed a shock of blonde hair and frightened blue eyes, a face quickly buried in the safety of familiar skirts.

The figure stands, silent but for his rasping breath. The man looks at him. The woman stares. All, even the child, are still. The winds roar outside, a dull wordless moan of pain.

A gloved hand slowly rises, as though unsure of the movement. Fingers open, waiting to receive something very precious. The man tenses. The woman draws a breath.

Darth Vader says: ?I have come for my son.?

=======
    =======

II.

Seventeen years later

The young woman steps into the dark night, pulling a dirty cloak around her shoulders, tight over the bulge of her stomach. The darkness swirls around her like a living thing, impenetrable, angry. After a moment, she gathers the frayed bag by her feet and walks further, the rough sandstone wall scraping her shoulder. She does not stray from the lee of the building, unwilling to test the harsh power of the sand-laden winds.

After a dozen steps, she lets out a small cry and drops the bag. She leans forward, presses her hands to her swollen belly. Her eyes turn inward. She breathes carefully, fingers massaging her taut stomach through the rough tunic, her lips moving wordlessly.

A few minutes pass. She closes her eyes, then awkwardly crouches to lift the bag again.

She only makes it a step before the pain comes again, sharper this time. She whimpers for the first time in her life, and sinks against the wall.

?Luke,? she whispers, the sound raw, torn from her lips by terror. Tears streak down her face, cutting through layers of fine dust. She leans her head back and snarls, ?Luke!?

The night wind whirls around her, lifting her hair around her face in streaming fingers of red-gold. She lifts her head. Her lips curl, baring her teeth to the shadow, her eyes blazing defiance and pain.

Alone and in darkness, Mara Jade gives birth.

=======
    =======

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    And thus it begins.

Poor Luke never had a chance.

How poetic that Mara has Luke's child on his "home" planet. It really is a safe place in some ways.

3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    And on that ominous note...

This is beautiful, Knight_Aragorn! It's only the prologue and you've already sucked me in (although there wasn't must of a chance that I wouldn't be ;) ).

The hand shifts, and there is glimpsed a shock of blonde hair and frightened blue eyes, a face quickly buried in the safety of familiar skirts.

I love this line, it describes Luke so perfectly, and is such a contrast to what he becomes.

A gloved hand slowly rises, as though unsure of the movement. Fingers open, waiting to receive something very precious. The man tenses. The woman draws a breath.

Darth Vader says: ?I have come for my son.?

There is something very precise about this section, I love the way you've worded it. Vader's line is shiver-inducing.

Alone and in darkness, Mara Jade gives birth.

I too, loved the parallel. There's something about darkness and Tatooine and birth that is so evocative.

I'm in awe.

4. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    You've started it! Fantastic!

Beautiful ... I second all the comments made by JadeLotus!

More! More!

[hl=darkblue]~ oldj @};-[/hl]

5. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Beautiful and mind numbing as usual. Keep up the good work!

6. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    RebelMom: Good old Tatooine, right? ;) Hopefully it'll be safer for their child than it was for Luke... Thanks for reading!

JadeLotus: Aw, thank you. :D I love the desert thing, so I had to have Mara make her way back there to give birth. There's something so mythic about a planet that's all sand. :D Thanks for the kind feedback! [:D]

oldj: Thank you! :p The next section should be up fairly soon. I know this one doesn't give you a lot to go with. ;) Thanks for reading!

Valin: Thank you. :D

7. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    It's begun! =D=

Very poignant beginning, both with Luke's abduction (I still consider it that, even tho Vader was his father), and the child's birth. I wonder, with Luke now gone, what kind of adversity will his child face?

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It's up! :eek: :D [face_dancing]

Wonderful imagery, as always. :D But I want to know what happens! :_| *tries hard to be patient*

9. Jedi_Anais

Jedi_Anais Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    It's here! It's here! *does happy dance*

Poor Luke. He was just a baby. *shakes angry fist at Vader*

And Mara. Alone. Giving birth. On Tatooine. :_|

More, please? [face_batting]

10. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    And I was just thinking, Gee, I wonder when K_A is going to start posting that sequel...

Definitely looking forward to this one, darling. *bounces*

No pressure. :p

11. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    OH! This is good...

Nice little catchup to Your Eyes...

Can't wait for more!

12. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! Your first post really drew me into the story. I can't wait for more. Of course, I loved the story Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore, so I am really anxious to know what Mara was doing while on the run.

By the way, congratulations on YEABA getting nominated for Best Drama, Best Angst, Best All Around, Best Short Story, Best Canon Interpretation (Male-Luke), Best Villian (Luke), and your nomination for Best Author. Did I forget anything? :p

You are a wonderful writer and are much deserving of these nominations!!

AG88

13. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    *flails*

I'll write something better later...but flailing is all i can manage right now. :D!

14. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Jedi-2B: Thank you! :) This actually set around the first time Mara left, when they were still young, not after Your Eyes Aren?t Blue Anymore. [face_thinking] Not sure if that?s what you meant by ?with Luke now gone?, but thought I?d clear it up just in case. :p Thanks for reading!

Gabri: Thank you! :D

Jedi_Anais: Thanks! More is coming. :)

Leia: Riiight, no pressure at all. :p Hopefully it will live up to expectation. Thanks for reading! :D

RedGold: Thank you! :)

AG88: Glad to hear it! :D And thank you. [:D] I was absolutely astonished to see all those nominations! I had no idea Your Eyes Aren?t Blue Anymore could fit into so many categories. :p

Mirax-Jade: Flailing is okay. ;) Thanks for reading!

15. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Now don't expect all the updates to be this close together... ;)

=======
    =======

BLEEDING DRY FOR YOU

=======
    =======

Ah, love, let us be true
    To one another! for the world, which seems
    To lie before us like a land of dreams,
    So various, so beautiful, so new,
    Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
    Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
    And we are here as on a darkling plain
    Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
    Where ignorant armies clash by night.

? ?Dover Beach?, Matthew Arnold.

=======
    =======

CHAPTER ONE

The story is a simple one. A tale of a boy and girl?.

?as all the best, most moving and most vibrant stories are.

The girl had no family, not in the sense that most know the word. She had no mother, no father, no brothers nor any sisters. The Empire had prevented that; but it offered much in compensation. She could eat the finest foods, wear the most expensive clothing, study under the greatest minds the galaxy had to offer. All she had to do in return was be the best. All the time. At everything.

The boy did have a family, though also not the way most would think the word. His father was a Sith Lord, once a man named Anakin Skywalker. His mother, he knew nothing of, save that she had died not long after bearing him. Some had sought to protect him, then, as a baby, by hiding him from his father. They had not succeeded.

The Empire gave him much also, but asked more in return. He did not understand what it asked. For many years, he did not understand. When he finally did, it was too late.

The boy and the girl knew each other as children. They were set against one another often, competing fiercely ? often violently ? for the piteously minute amount of praise rewarded to the one who emerged superior.

The boy, and the girl? They came to despise one another bitterly.

They stood facing one another, under the eyes of their master and his lord.

They were ten years old.

He stood arrogantly, red blade shining in one hand, eyes filled with dark antipathy as he looked at her. She held her weapon in both hands, legs bent, ready. Her eyes were narrowed, blazing with fiery resentment as she glared at him.

?Begin,? said the master.

She sprang. He brought his other hand to the blade and swung his lightsaber around to meet hers. The air sizzled and spat. He jerked his blade, and it slid the length of hers, breaking the impasse. She spun back, lifting her weapon, eyes narrowed. He advanced.

A flurry of darting swipes followed, glowing blades glancing off one another. They weaved in and around, neither giving or gaining ground. Then she landed a blow to his face. His teeth clamped together as blood gushed from his nose. He shoved her down. She twisted before he could bring his blade to her throat and win the fight. He pursued.

They were equal in fury and strength and desire to win; it was a close, vicious fight. In the end, it was he who stood over her, his blade steady at her vulnerable throat and his eyes smug above his bloodied mouth and nose. Just as it had been she who stood over him the last time, victorious and disdainful. She glared up at him.

As Luke Skywalker turned away at the side of their master, she rose, her eyes on the floor, her cheeks flaming with a humiliation that burned deeper and far more painful than any bruise. A single glance backwards saw Skywalker looking over his shoulder at her. As their eyes met, his gaze flattened and slid away.

She saw something strange there, in the instant before his gaze shifted. She frowned, then shook her head and strode from the room. It didn?t matter. Next time
    she would be the one to win. He would not defeat her again.

But the strangeness in his eyes was harder to escape than it should have been.

Damned son of a Sith.

=======
    =======

Tatooine

She would say later that she could not remember the landing, the birth, those first few days. They were a haze, stark in her memory. She knew pain, grea

16. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Makes sense to me!

WOOT!

I like where this is headed already!

17. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Awesome! Obi-Wan lives! And he is there to save Mara and the baby. I love it! I wonder if Yoda is still alive?

Great chapter. I look forward to the next update!!

I had no idea Your Eyes Aren?t Blue Anymore could fit into so many categories.

Hey, we made them fit!! [face_laugh] Congratulations again!

AG88

18. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    *dances, chants* Found another story! Found another story! Found another story! Found another-

*glances up at gaping audience* Oh. *blushes* Nevermind

WOW. Awesome duology. I loved the first fic (though I shamefully admit I never replied) and now this one's got me hooked, too! :D

More soon, please?

~*~Austyn

19. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    The jumping back and forth is easy to follow. I do love getting the background. How old was Luke when Vader took him? 4 or 5?
    Nice that Obi is still around. Hopefully, he can help Luke's son in a way he couldn't help Luke.

20. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    This actually set around the first time Mara left, when they were still young, not after Your Eyes Aren?t Blue Anymore. Not sure if that?s what you meant by ?with Luke now gone?, but thought I?d clear it up just in case.

Yes, I got that. She had the baby during the time she was gone. I just meant that when Luke was a child, he had Vader and the Emperor after him (and catching him). But if Luke was the last of the Sith, does that mean the child won't have any enemies? I didn't quite expect that after Luke's death, you'll let Mara and her son live in peace. Though maybe you will. She'll have the heartbreak of having to kill Luke to live with.

Anyway, I'm just waiting to see who's been taking care of Luke, Jr. all this time. Obi-Wan? Or someone else?

Oh, and congrats on all the noms. :D

21. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    *flails again*

Yay for Obi-Wan Kenobi!!

Smart guy, thinking Mara'n'Baby are important.

22. Jedi_Anais

Jedi_Anais Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    But the strangeness in his eyes was harder to escape than it should have been.

Then, he wasn't truly evil as a kid. :(

The Force whispered hope in his ear, as it had not for ? for seventeen years.

He knew then that this mother and child were important.

Obi-Wan to the rescue! :D [:D] So, he gets to raise Luke's kid, right? And raise him as a Jedi?

23. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm very, very excited about this fic, Knight_Aragorn! Wonderful, as always.

She could eat the finest foods, wear the most expensive clothing, study under the greatest minds the galaxy had to offer. All she had to do in return was be the best. All the time. At everything.

This passage really struck me as to how difficult Mara's life must have been growing up in the Imperial Court. To be absolute perfection, knowing that anything less might lead to her death, or at the very least, severe punishment. What a hard burden for such as small child.

The boy, and the girl? They came to despise one another bitterly.

Hate, conflict, bitterness and pride. No wonder their love was doomed.

A corpse that walked, a dead thing that breathed, a travesty of what had once been?.

It's so fitting that this description could so easily have been applied to Vader.

And Obi-Wan's still drinking his life away on Tatooine? The guilt must be unbearable for him. But it seems only right that his destiny is entwined with the new 'young Skywalker'.

And, of course, congrats on all your nominations, K_A. =D= You deserve them.

24. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Interesting. obi-Wan is still alive. i thought Luke killed him in the last fic.

25. RebelPrincess

RebelPrincess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2001
    *Runs in late*

Woo hoo! It's up it's up it's up!!

My reaction so far --> :eek:
    I could just feel Mara's distress and anguish in the first post. Wow...the entire scene was so intense. And how fitting that it was on Tatooine...

The flashback was very interesting too - we got to see some of Luke and Mara's past :D

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again...I can't wait for more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.