main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Bleeding Dry For You (AU -- L/M, Obi-Wan, Ben) COMPLETED! 7/29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Aragorn, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    ?Ah,? breathed Obi-Wan. That certainly changed things. Still? he thought of the strange threading aura he?d felt while she was unconscious. ?He looks for you, all the same.?

She bowed her head. ?I know.? Again, the words seemed to escape against her will. Her defeat was both palpable and perplexing. ?I know he does. He always does.? Obi-Wan sensed no fear from her, no dread, no anger. Only pain, and that strange defeat. And?

Love?
    How sad. Obi-Wan knows that Luke is looking. She knew he would be looking, she loves him but stays away.

It?s death, to love a Skywalker.

The soft voice spoke such raw pain, even in dimmed recall. The image of dark eyes floated a moment in his mind, lifeless and blind as they turned on him, as though dead while still breathing.

Death, to love a Skywalker, Obi-Wan?

He smothered the wisp of memory. ?You won?t be alone,? he told the young woman before him, just as he had told another many years ago. ?I promise you won?t be alone.?
    That is a frightening reality. Seems like the Skywalker lineage is cursed, except for Leia.
    He hoped this promise might prove truer than the last. [/i]

2. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    =D= Yay! More for my hungering soul! *grins* Oh, I want to hug poor Mara. :( And Obi....

Death, to love a Skywalker, Obi-Wan Hmm... Methinks I sense a bit of Obidala undertones?? *muses* [face_mischief]

I won't ask for more since you've already given in once. :p I can learn to be patient for once...

~*~Austyn

3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Wonderful Knight_Aragorn! I don't know how you do it, but you keep transcending my expectations. Every post just keeps getting better.

Leverage positions, she knew exactly, and pressure points, where to disable and where to kill.

She knew nothing of where to comfort.

:_| It's the little moments like these that make me realise how horribly numb and unfulfilling Mara's childhood must have been.

?Luke Skywalker,? he said with soft certainty, ?has very little hope for redemption.

Oh, it hurts me to hear Obi-Wan say that.

And that. :_|

Excuse me, I have to find a small corner in which to curl up and hide.

Keep it coming, though!

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    And the emotional rollercoaster begins!

Good to hear that Obi is helping out and Mara is accepting... sorta

Great little get push/take at the beginning.

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Both of the last posts were excellent. And more the heartbreaking because we already know the eventual outcome. Spot-on characterizations of both Mara and Obi-Wan. When Mara was moaning Luke's name, I loved how Ben could feel Luke reaching for her, and how he quickly put up a shield. Now I'm just wondering who will be(has been) watching over the boy. Oh, and I loved the flashback of when Luke and Mara's feeling for each other changed, too.

6. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I see a good friendship between Obi and Mara. It's probably a way off from now in the fic, but it will happen. I hope.

Thanks for clearing up the "old man" thing for me.:D It's good to know what's going on.:p

Your update schedule isn't that far apart. I'd rather have short posts that are close together than long posts spread out. I like to remember what happened in the previous post, instead of having to backtrack and read again.

I love the Mara/Luke tension. I can feel it.=D=

7. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    I thought Luke Skywalker was dead in the first story? If that is true, then is there a new Emperor or what? *Confused by Obi Wan's reference about the Empire searching for her and the baby*

8. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Crazydan, this story is explaining what Mara was doing during the time she disappeared from Skywalker in the first fic.

If you remember, in the story Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore, Mara leaves Luke and he searches for her for years until he finally finds her. We are finding out what happened during the time she was gone.

Excellent chapter, Knight_Aragorn. I love reading about Luke and Mara's early years together.

I look forward to reading more.

AG88

9. RebelPrincess

RebelPrincess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2001

Wow, that was quite the powerful post. Very emotional...I'm all depressed now. Why do you do this to me?? :p

Really though, that was awesome writing. I can't wait to see what happens next in Mara's saga.

10. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Terrific story so far, Knight_Aragorn. :) The L/M flashbacks are great in their depictions of character. Also, love Obi-Wan. [face_love] But then, who doesn't? ;)

For some reason, I'm dying to know the name of the baby. You're usually pretty careful with names, it seems, so I'm interested to see what it is.

11. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Jedi_Anais: I don't think Mara would be at all fazed by Luke's position - even twelve-year-old Mara. :p And as for her leaving before... patience, you'll see. ;)

I'm off to go have a good cry on Mara's behalf...

*hands out tissues* :p Thanks for reading!

RebelMom: That is a frightening reality. Seems like the Skywalker lineage is cursed, except for Leia.

Things certainly don't seem to be looking good for the Skywalkers at the moment.... [face_thinking]

Daughterofflame: Methinks I sense a bit of Obidala undertones??

Hmmm... possibly, possibly. You never know. [face_mischief] Thanks for reading. :D

JadeLotus: Aw, thank you! [:D] Glad you enjoyed it.

Excuse me, I have to find a small corner in which to curl up and hide.

[face_laugh] This story sent me into many corners, while writing.... :p

RedGold: Thank you! :D

Jedi-2B: Thanks! :) The flashbacks were a lot of fun to write. They'd been sitting in my head while I wrote YEABA, so it was good to finally get them onto paper. Glad they're enjoyable to read.

StarFighter5: Obi-Wan and Mara could both use some company at this stage. And they're more alike than they know, really. ;)

Your update schedule isn't that far apart. I'd rather have short posts that are close together than long posts spread out. I like to remember what happened in the previous post, instead of having to backtrack and read again.

There might be some longer chapters up ahead, but I try to keep my posting schedule regular. I agree, it's the worst thing when you can't remember what happened in the last post. :p Thanks for reading!

Crazydan: Your confusion is completely understandable. This story is about as achronological as you can get. 8-} Like AG88 said, this is set during the events of Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore, hence Luke being alive still. Hope it makes a little more sense now. :p

AG88: Thanks for your explanation, and I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Thanks for reading. :D

RebelPrincess: I'm all depressed now.

Aw... *points towards happy post in Splinters* It made me feel better, anyway. :p Thank you for reading! :D

Leia: Thank you! Glad you're enjoying the story. :)

But then, who doesn't?

LOL, so true.

For some reason, I'm dying to know the name of the baby. You're usually pretty careful with names, it seems, so I'm interested to see what it is.

Um... I think people are going to be disappointed when Mara does eventually name him. Don't anticipitate too much. ;) It's getting closer, anyway.

Thanks, everyone, for reading! [:D] The next post should be up in the next couple of days.

12. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Well, unless the kid's name is Tegwin Duard Toolio III, I think you're safe...

13. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Leia: :eek: You've been reading my notes, haven't you? :p It does have a certain distinguished ring to it....

And now for the other half of chapter two...

=====
    =====

?I know of someone who can help you,? Obi-Wan said, a few days later. Mara held her son carefully, watching as blue eyes blinked into hers. He was quiet, for once.

She looked up at the Jedi, eyes narrowing. ?Who??

He looked at her strangely, as though weighing something in his mind. ?Owen and Beru Lars,? he said after a few moments. ?Moisture farmers, living outside of Anchorhead.?

She frowned. ?Strangers??

?Not strangers.? Again, that hesitancy. ?Family, of a kind.?

Family? ?How could???

?Of a kind,? Obi-Wan repeated. ?They knew? his father. And his father?s father. They are good people.?

She fell silent. They must have been the ones into whose care Luke had been given, then, in that futile attempt to hide him from Vader as a young child. The ones who had lost him, when Vader came.

I remember sand? I remember light. I remember? rough skirts, roughened hands, gentleness. I remember? not a lot. Just the light, mostly. The light. Somehow?

Dropping low, uncertain. It seemed a happier place.

Mara frowned. Luke must have been young when taken, she?d always thought. But older than she. She remembered nothing of her home, her family. Only the Empire.

She turned her eyes to the Jedi watching her so carefully. ?How did you know?? she asked. ?Who I was, who? my son is??

?You called his name while unconscious,? he told her. ?You reached for him through the Force. I felt him respond.?

Mara?s stomach tightened, heaved. ?What?? she whispered in horror. ?I did what?? The baby in her arms stirred and whimpered.

?I blocked you just as he reached out,? the Jedi said, his forehead crinkling in concern. ?He sensed nothing, beyond that initial touch. And you were too distressed for him to read much from that. Don?t be alarmed.?

Mara let her breath go in a sigh. She looked down at the child in her arms. Deep-blue eyes met hers, and she closed her eyes.

?Besides,? Kenobi?s voice went on, startling her, ?there is much in you that I?ve seen? elsewhere.? He spoke with a strange distance. ?Much of what I see in your eyes? yes. I?ve seen before.?

Mara met his gaze, and found it full of memories. She recognised the things unspoken there, though probably she was not meant to. She said nothing.

?Yes,? he said again, softly, after a few moments, and looked away.

She allowed him his time, and then said, ?Is that why you are helping us??

He turned his gaze back to her. ?In part,? he said, ?yes, I suppose.?

She frowned. ?What do you want of me??

?Nothing,? he said.

She shook her head, not accepting that. ?You want something. You must.?

He sighed. ?I? hope,? he said. ?I hope a few things. But I make no demands.?

?What do you hope??

He sat at the window. The worn brown fabric of his cloak was coloured richly in the light of the fading suns. ?I wish for you to find some measure of peace,? he said. ?To accept help, not in weakness, but in strength. To raise your son in the light. To heal the wounds you bear, to whatever extent possible. Simple things.?

?To destroy Luke Skywalker?? she said bluntly, concealing carefully how much the words cost her.

He met her gaze. ?Yes.? She was grateful for the respect he gave in not shrinking from her gaze, or feigning a lie. ?It will be you, or your son,? he said. ?You know this already, I think.? Another pause, as she swallowed and did not respond. ?Not my choice,? he went on quietly. ?But ask yourself. The man you loved, would he prefer??

?Don?t,? Mara said. He stopped. But his question continued in her mind, regardless.

Would he prefer? to suffer in the darkness he brought on himself, the ruination he slowly chose, the living hell that he writhes in daily ? or death?

She saw blue eyes, she saw pain in darkness, she saw blood on shaking fingers.

I killed ? I tortured ? I maimed ?

She

14. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I love the Obi Wan and Mara interaction. In some ways they seem like old friends, and in other ways they seem light-years apart. Strange how things like that work.

The baby will be in good hands with the Lars family. I don't know what they'll think of Mara.:p It's hard to tell.

As always the chapter flows beautifully and I can hear the characters speak in my ear. Mara's confliction is tangible and in the way you describe it, I can understand it, like the emotion is my own. I would site some lines, but the chapter speaks for itself. I need not pick poignant sections for it stands in its entirety as a wonderful thing.

Did I make you blush yet? [face_laugh]

There, I wanted to write more so I did. *Is happy*:D

15. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    This story is beautiful. Where the Prequel had sadness and angst you have given us hope in this fic. Hope for Mara, for Ben and most of all for the baby. I am sure we all hope that the Skywalker Legacy can be broken with this child.

AG88

16. Stargazer-19

Stargazer-19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow. A very bold beginning to this story.

It's going to be interesting to see just how things progress...thought it was interesting to see Obi-Wan make the point that "to love a Skywalker means death" it really does seem that way, and in most cases that death often evolves into more than just two people.

Anyway, great story, I can't wait to read more.

17. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    StarFighter5: *is blushing* :p I'm glad you like the interaction between Obi-Wan and Mara. I think that Obi-Wan is probably the one person who can come closest to understanding what Mara's been through - he knows exactly what it is to see someone you care for fall to darkness. Mara and the Lars family... well, you'll see soon. ;) I'm glad that the flow of dialogue and descriptions works - I'm always worried that all the dialogue will be send people to sleep. 8-} Thanks for the lovely feedback! [:D]

AG88: I'm glad there's some hope. The last thing I want to do is make readers miserable. :p The child is definitely a gift, even if Mara is too hurt too see that now.

I am sure we all hope that the Skywalker Legacy can be broken with this child.

If there's anyone who can break the cycle, it's Mara. Thank you so much for reading. :D

Stargazer-19: Good to see you here! Skywalker romances seem to be the definition of 'doomed', in this AU. And it does seem to have a ripple effect. :( Thank you for reading, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the story so far. :)

18. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I hope Owen and Beru are still willing. they lost the last baby and would be worried about the same. Maybe the fact that Luke had no clue she was pregnant will help. Since we know Luke never did know, they got to keep the baby until he started whining about going to the Academy so he could fly. Sorry, had to put a little humor in amidst the angst.

19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I agree with StarFighter - The Mara/Ben interaction is great! I also love Mara remembering Luke's words, about his home, about flying, almost as if they were her own thoughts, her own memories.

And for Mara to think that she is the greater sinner for allowing Luke to continue when she can do something to stop it? - Chilling.

Beautiful post, Knight_Aragorn!

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a wonderful post! :) As always, your writing strikes a chord within the reader and we can't help but connect with your words. =D=

21. Katarina42

Katarina42 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    Eep! I missed more posts? Both were excellent! Keep up the good work! =D=

Kat

22. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Yay!! Two posts!!

Poor baby, Daddy's a sith and Mommy's momentarily emoptionally incapacitated. What a life!

23. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay, they're going to Aunt Beru!

24. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Wait didn't luke die?

25. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Somehow, I'm thinking that it was a manifestation of another force power-Illusion.

Great start KA. Especially the fact that you've given Obi-Wan a chance to turn around his situation.

S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.