main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Block, Parry, Strike! - the lightsaber index and discussion thread. New topic 10/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    I try to picture the battle in my head, and make it go in slow motion. Reeeaaallly slow motion. Then again, it takes me several paragraphs to write 20-30 seconds of fighting.

2. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    JL, I think you've written the best topic on the boards, and I intend to study this whole thing fully, and then some more...

The thought of writing a lightsaber duel just makes me cringe. I've heard that mine come out alright, but I never feel like I do them enough justice, because I was raised with the movies, so I never feel like words are enough. But I do my best anyway.

I will say the action figures come in very handy. Sometimes I start with them, and then expand in m head, or sometimes I start in my head and actually try to make that work with the figures. Either way, I just try to think, "If I were sitting in a movie theatre, what would make this lightsaber duel rock?"

Usually comes out decent, but I still need a lot of work to say the least.

Again, thanks for the great thread JL!!!

Edit: Here are a couple of my best attempts (I think) at entertaining duels...

Chapter 11 of "Death From Within," featuring Dooku vs. Sidious
    Chapter 8 of "My New Empire," featuring Anakin (Vader) vs. Ferus Olin

Not much, but I figured I'd contribute however I could!

3. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    I've updated the index with more duels! Yippee!

I'm so glad to see you all enjoying the thread. I know I'm getting lots out of it!

JMT, why don't you fill out the form on page 1 and I'll get you onto the index.

4. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    Generally, it's all about how I want the fight to take place. If it's a fast-paced duel between two excellent swordsman, then the writing will reflect that. If it's an out-matched fight between one inexperienced person versus a far more superiorly-trained opponent, then the description shall reflect that, as well. I take fighting styles into account entirely, working with each combatant involved.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Informative thread Jennifer Lyn. Nicely done. :)

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Great thread, JL!! :)

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Two mods in a row? A definite seal of approval.

I will admit, ever since buying a toy lightsaber, I've been acting out more and more in front of the PC. I also use my Gundam toys for some of the more difficult stuff. They've got great posing options and 'beam sabers'.

8. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Jennifer_Lyn, does the whole story have to be about the lightsaber incident to qualify for the index? If not I think I've got one for a alternate uses or "101 Ways to Kill Someone with a Switched Off LightSaber" list, with the Badour/Amil 'duel'.

One thing that always makes me shy away from writing dueling scenes is that I don't have a command of the vocabulary. Instead, I find it easier if I stay away from the technical fencing speak and focus more on physicality. I can write a regular fight scene without having to struggle for the descriptive phrases and tags, thus that's what I stick to. And as the chapter alluded to above suggests, I depend a whole heck of a lot on characterization shining through and a little creepy creativity.

I'm definitely here to learn.

9. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    I read that scene, it's awesome! Yeah, send me the info. If you could put an extra link in the notes for that particular chapter that would probably be helpful in finding it.

I'm thrilled you all like the thread! I've recruited a helper to get some more information out to you all on how to write these scenes we all seem so tentative about. We'll get you some stuff sometime fairly soon.

If you have any topic ideas for this thread, go ahead and drop me a pm. I'm compiling a list.

10. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005

11. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005

Lightsaber. Okay, that's one word for the elegant weapon for a more civilized age. When writing a duel, you can only say lightsaber so many times before sounding redundant. What else do we call it? Gimme some other words you use to describe a lightsaber.

Keep sending in those fics folks! I'll take anything with a lightsaber/duel theme! And don't forget those alternate use and non-Jedi fics!
    I'm also still on the lookout for topics/questions, pm me your ideas for future discussions!

12. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I generally tend to use terms like "blade" or "sword." I also use adjectives such as energy or laser to describe blade or sword. For example: Energy blade, laser sword. I also write [insert color] plasma to describe the blade itself.

13. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm sure there are better terms than "blade", but that's all I do.
    Like 'He swung his purple blade.' or 'She switched off her glowing blade.'
    Sometimes I just refer to it as 'The jedi's weapon' It's pretty much a given on what I'm talking about.

Great thread J_L, I've been meaning to rip off..err..I mean workon my lightsaber/duels.

14. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    I've used "beam" before.

15. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I sometimes just say 'weapon' if its a one-on-one lightsaber match; the readers know what I'm talking about.

16. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Yay! New topic! [face_dancing]

There have been a few taken that I sometimes go by; i.e. jedi weapon, laser sword. Can also try light sword, elegant weapon, blade and sword work well too.

Probably will think of some more. [face_thinking] ;)

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I've used plasma blade, the color of it like 'violet-colored blade', weapon, stuff like that.

18. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I've used pretty much all of those. I'll add in "amethyst energy" or "particles beam", etc.

19. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    Here's one "the civilized weapon".

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I've used... sabre, weapon and several others that I can't think of -- ooh, energy too and once upon a time, beam of [insert colour] energy...

Here are a few examples of my lightsaber duels.

Group Battle, Second Post (Lightsaber Duel) of This Time Around ? Jedi versus Palpatine

Grievous Battle from This Time Around (is a few posts long bust starts on this particular page) ? Jaina, Kyp, Anakin, Obi-Wan and R2 versus Grievous

Arena Battle from Slayer ? Gladiators versus Gladiators

21. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Great suggestions all! Perhaps I'll compile a list for the intro post.

Picked up a fun little article from the Obi-Wan board.

It's here: how lightsabers work

22. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Thank you all for your lovely suggestions! I've compiled a list of descriptive terms. Feel free to give us any more you come up with.

The weapon itself:
    blade
    sword
    sabre
    weapon
    beam

Descriptive terms:
    energy
    laser
    plasma
    light
    particle
    whatever color the blade is (ie the amethyst blade)

And a couple other classic descriptions:
    the civilized weapon
    elegant weapon
    The Jedi's weapon

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Ooo, nice list J_L!

This will be handy to use when I write my next duel. :D

24. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Jennifer: Thanks for compiling a list of those helpful terms!

Can't wait to put them to use.

25. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    This is good one!
    Unlocking for discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.