main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Blue "Ghosty" Jedi Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister-of-Greencat, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister-of-Greencat

Sister-of-Greencat Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2007
    At the behest of my Star Wars loving sister, Greencat, I am posting regarding my try at making a blue ghosty jedi costume from ROTJ.

I am working on the proto-type now and she thought others would be interested in our progress. I say our because she makes the request for the costume, and I sew it. I have been making Star Wars costumes for her for several years now including several types of Jedi robes and a Padme "storm the palace" outfit from Ep1. This doesn't include the many jedi robes I have sewn, at her request, for my children (her nieces and nephews).

To begin, I am using the basic robe pattern from the Simplicy 4450 pattern. Although I have read that it is not exact, it is close enough. For fabric, I am using a dark brown linen-like polester and an electric blue organiza. The polester is important as it won't wrinkle like real linen and is much cheaper than the tropica wool (light-weight wool). The organiza is placed over the brown linen-like fabric to make the effect of the blue ghosty aura.

For the tunic we purchased some nice "tunic" material in a typical light brown / beige of the typical jedi-tunic. We are planning on dying it a light blue. It is recommended to dye first then cut out the pattern. The dying might make the fabric shrink. Haven't tried this yet, but will let you know if it works.

So far it seems to be working. I am taking some guesses as how to proceed and will post these as I go. Any thoughts on this costume are welcome. :)

2. SummerWermo

SummerWermo Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2005
    Sounds really cool, cant wait to see it! :D Will she be wearing bluish ghosty face make up and dye in hair?

3. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    that's cool! i've always wanted to do a holographic character, like leia in her famous 'help me, obi-wan kenobi' moment! good luck!

4. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    That should look really cool, I'm excited to see it. Last year I dressed as one of the ghosts from Harry Potter; that was sort of the same idea, but all greyscale.

5. Sister-of-Greencat

Sister-of-Greencat Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks for responding. Can I ask how you got the shimery effect for your Harry Potter "Ghost" costume?

6. Jedi_Nausicaa

Feb 14, 2005
    I didn't have any sort of shimmery effect. It was just for a one-night event so I didn't put quite that much work into it.

Here's a picture.

7. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Interesting idea. There's someone by the name of Danakin on Sonsofthesuns who is attempting a ghost of Anakin costume.

8. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    If you are in contact with him, perhaps he could PM Sister and they could chat about costume details.

Nice HP ghostie, Jedi_N!

As for the face and hair, Sister and I are debating about the hair. She wants the spray on blue stuff, so the hair has an 'aura' look to it. I'm thinking the wash out blue all over hair color. Perhaps we will end up with a combo of the two. For the face, I'm going to use a technique that BonMothma used to get a green skin tone for her Luminara. She applied green eye shadow all over her skin. I'm going to use blue eye shadow. It gives just a bit of a tint, without a thick coating (since I don't want to end up looking blue as a Chiss) I'm going back and forth on doing the backs of my hands. Blue nail color will definitely be used.

And what my sister says about the 'our' process is very accurate. :D I show up, explain that I want a particular costume, then I wander off to play with the kids. Eventually, I come back for some fittings, then wander off again. Finally, a movie quality costume is presented to me. (She is incredible about the detail work on the costumes)

BTW, if anyone is going to be in the Pittsburgh area on Sunday, April 29, Sister is hosting a "Costuming for Children" panel at the Pittsburgh ComiCon.

9. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    You can contact him on www.sonsofthesuns.com, he's Danakin on the forums.

10. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    This sounds like a very interesting concept! I can't wait to see how it all works! :D

11. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Here are some pics of the robe in progress. We are working on writing out coherent directions for putting it all together, so more to come.

12. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    I too, can't wait to see the finished product! This sounds like a really cool costume idea!!

13. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Wow, what a cool idea!

14. Jedi_Nausicaa

Feb 14, 2005
    The effect of the blue on the brown really works. Can't wait to see the costume finished!

15. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Wow! that's looking incredible! The blue sheer over the top looks great, I'd have never thought of that! Awesome!

16. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    That is awesome, it really does have that holographic shimmer effect right down. Can't wait to see it all done.

17. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    "Look, my cereal is making an important message, it says: Ooh!"
    "Peter, those are your Cheerios."- Peter and Louis Griffen Family Guy

That's impressive, it really works well. Can't wait to see it all done!

18. JediKnightGareth

JediKnightGareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    HA! that's so friggin cool. You have earned win.

19. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Who me? I won something? Do I get a cookie?

Or do you mean Sister-of-Greencat?

20. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    What does that even have to do with anything in this thread? :rolleyes:

And I think that's only Peter talking, not Lois. Who's Louis, anyway? [face_whistling]

21. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    *LOL* Yeah, not relative to the topic. But....wasn't it actually Brian that replied to Peter?

22. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Whatever, I didn't even see that episode. My friend told me about it. And the reason I posted it was because of the 'oooh' part.

*Sigh* So, how's it coming along?

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Its coming along nicely. The robe is basically finished, except for some tayloring to fit it to me at the shoulders and the bottom hem. The material for the tunic still needs to be dyed, but that will be done soon. We are starting to play around with the accessories (belt, boots, saber) I have enough of the inexpensive plastic sabers that I can give it a light coating of blue with paint (exactly which kind will be posted here when we decide which works best) The boots are more problematic, I don't want to do anything permanent to them. Perhaps I'll try the blue hair spray on them and see it it wipes off without damaging the boots.

These aren't very good pics, we took them during Sister's panel at the Pittsburgh ComiCon, but at least it give everyone an idea of how its coming. Hopefully, next week, I'll have some better shots.

Sister and robe

Greencat in robe and Sister

Greencat in robe

24. GreytaleNovastar1138

GreytaleNovastar1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    That material is pretty pimp!! Your sister is adorable, too, lol...

How long did it take you to find that material, given research, pricing, etc. etc.?

25. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    that is incredibly cool! good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.