main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue Jar Jar Cult, now with more cowbell! The Fan Fic Social Thread Shoots Lazers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hi, Goldie! Come around more often!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, hello, fellow fan fic peeps. :)

How is everyone? It's been ages since I last popped in here. [:D]

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hiya, Idri! Life could be worse.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Hiya, Master Ish! Been a while, eh? [:D] Ah, life will be life, I suppose. :)

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Indeed. At least I'm going on vacation to Ireland, I have the job to fund it and I have someone who wants to see my writing on a professional level. Life could be a lot worse.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    That's amazing, Ish. :) [:D]

7. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Hello, Idri! Haven't seen you around in a while!

Well, something good finally happened. I just got a really good job with the county government, and it sounds like I'll be able to afford to buy a brand-new car, pay off my student loans, and do the big renovation project I have in mind! And possibly even get a pet gecko and go to some conventions. I'm really happy! Oklahoma does have a good job market indeed. And it's been in the mid-50's all week and very sunny.

And cleaning up a car accident is still the most miserable thing ever. I love how this whole thing isn't my fault and the other driver did something criminally wrong and yet I'm the one who gets to fight to clear my record... Hey, at least I'll get good scrap value for the remains of my Pontiac. It might be enough to ship all the books that I couldn't move on a plane.

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Good to see things improving SithGirl. Congrats with your new job=D=

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That's great, SG! Glad things are shaping up for you, though I hate that other things are a pain in the neck.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hi Goldie! Hey Idri! [:D]

Congrats on the job, SithGirl!! [:D] That's awesome! Yeah, cleaning everything up after any kind of accident is terrible. :(

So I found the perfect apartment today. It was within walking distance to the T (the subway), it had a full kitchen, an off street parking space (worth it's weight in gold!) and was below my max price. I went to see it, loved it, filled out the application, payed a deposit and was just waiting on my credit check and then it turns out it was rented last night and they accidentally didn't take it off the market. :( I also looked at another apt. that I liked just not as well and while we were waiting on the paperwork to go through on the other apartment, it was rented. :rolleyes:

The competitive nature of apartment hunting in the Boston area is killing me! :p

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Ugh, you definitely have my sypmathis, Mav. Apartment hunting is the worst. I've had to do it twice in LA, and it was not fun either time. I hope you have better luck, and soon!

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Sad! Which T stop was it by?

13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Heyo-dales, Cap'n Tarpoles. Mesa back! :D

I see some familiar faces and some not so familiar faces. I've been around TFN of course but haven't been within the walls of Fan Fiction in a long time...a long time. Not since the days of the PT/CT rewrite contests back in the day (I believe I still have a number of records).

I'm currently in the process of posting some of my more recent material in the Non Star Wars section, but hey, I welcome any opportunity to talk Star Wars. So why am I here in this thread? To pose a question...have you ever had a fan fiction idea that you knew was amazing? An idea that, putting ego's and self-praise aside, you knew could make an awesome novel if only the publishers knew you existed? That happened to me last night. It was about 4AM (when I get all my best ideas...writers aren't allowed to sleep apparently) and an idea for a Star Wars story popped into my head. Now I have a lot of Star Wars ideas, the same as the rest of you. We wouldn't be writing fan fiction if we didn't, right? Some are short stories, others are ideas for films. Then last night an idea for a novel just came to me. So now I have a dilemma.

Do I keep the idea under wraps in the vain hope that I will some day be in the position to pitch it to Del Ray? Do I write the book, hoping it might be published in the future? Do I write it as a piece of fan fiction and put it online? Novel-length fan fiction isn't a rare thing these days. I'm sure there are a number of stories on this site that are novel-length. I would be tempted to write it as fan fiction, free of restrictions that LucasBooks would no doubt place on me. But such an undertaking is time consuming. Then of course there's the obvious question. Am I deluded? Is my idea actually terrible? And if it is good, do I even have the skill to write it? I come from a screen writing background and it's my main pursuit. Taking time away from that to write what would amount to a pretty sizable novel for fan fiction purposes only seems a little foolish...but then I love Star Wars. The chance to tell a Star Wars tale, in any format is definitely appealing to me.

So I'd like to open the floor to people's thoughts. Not really on my own situation but on your own. What are your thoughts on novel-length fan fiction? Has anyone ever actually tried pitching a story to the powers that be, whether Star Wars or another property? For those that have written novel-length stories, how have you reconciled the time required to write it with responsibilities outside the fan fic world?

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks, DWH! [:D] This is the first time I've lived somewhere that it was so competitive and it's a little unnerving!
    A little less than half a mile from Central Square on the Red Line, which was perfect! :(

Hi Jedsithor!
    My two cents: If you send it to anyone with Lucas or Del Rey, they will throw it away (or likely return to sender) without looking at it, they have to. They can't risk reading it and idea you had being in a book they publish in the future. You could hang on to the idea for the future but you have to be invited to write a SW novel and you have to be an established Sci-Fi author before that could even begin to be a possibility. My advice, write it as a fanfic and know that if you do it would never become an actual novel, but it will be out there to be appreciated by fans. I've seen many novel length fanfics (in this and other fandoms) and they usually do pretty well.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That's tragic! The Central Square area is so awesome!

16. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Oh I come from a screen writing background so I know all about unsolicited scripts. I'd decided a while back that I was going to stop writing fan fiction and concentrate fully on original works...but I keep writing fan fiction. :oops:

17. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Look who remembered her password! (Specifically, look who hadn't changed her password after all, thought she had, and panicked when she didn't think she could remember her password!) More importantly, look who's back on TF.net!

For anyone more recent, well, the username's a bit obvious. You'll often see me hanging around Resource or Before, as I'm yet another KotOR writer who has missed her fanfic friends. Life got nutty for a while, so fanfic went on the back burner. But things are settling somewhat for me, so I feel I can actually write again.

See y'all around! :D

18. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Hi everyone! Thought I might drop a line because the teen social thread is almost deader than the dead sea. Not quite, but still. Besides that, I'll be relegated here in a few months anyway, never to see the light of teenagehood ever again.

It seems a lot of people are making comebacks lately.

19. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    Hi, Lolly! Yeah, a lot of us are returning. Now that college is done, I can finally get back to the things I want to do.

So apparently, in the chronicles of my melodramatic life, I've discovered that I'm allergic to mold fairly badly. Walk into a moldy abandoned house, walk out half an hour later with burning lungs... Oh well, at least I discovered an old Civil War era house that needs saving. And isn't moldy.

Congrats on the apartment, mav! Boston is so difficult to find a good apartment in. And right near a T stop? Excellent!

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow! Lots of people returning! Welcome back everyone! We're glad to see you! :)

Congrats on the apartment, mav! Boston is so difficult to find a good apartment in. And right near a T stop? Excellent!
    I didn't actually get it, someone sniped it right out from under me. :(

I'm still looking, everything pales in comparison to that apartment, lol. Either that and one comes on the market on a day I'm at work and is gone before I can even go to see it. 8-}

21. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Glad you remembered your password, Sabyne! :D And it's good to see you back here. We need all the good KOTOR writers we can get. ;)

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    *Peeks into thread* Hey, all. I've had a... bit of a rough few months. I'll talk about it maybe later, but just wanted to say hi. :)

23. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hi Striker. Hope things get better for you.

I've been writing soooooo sloooooowly lately. :rolleyes:

24. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm so glad I have a boring office job. It makes me not think about how I'm playing somewhere between poker, tag, and chicken with three insurance companies and one attorney. Is there an overall assumption that being young means that I have to be at fault for an accident and there's no way I have any semblance of defensive driving skills? Ugh. Cleaning up the mess the trucker left of my car and insurance is the most obnoxious thing ever.

/end complaints

In good news, I have a really good job with great pay and benefits, and to my great surprise, it looks like I might be able to reasonably afford a brand-new car here soon. I'm so confused; I didn't think such jobs even happened any longer...

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    *sigh* I really was doing well at not buying EU books, but I gave in and got Darth Plagueis. I'm spending a lot of time giggling at what I got right about Palpatine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.