main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue Jar Jar Cult, now with more cowbell! The Fan Fic Social Thread Shoots Lazers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowofLures

ShadowofLures Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    Sure, but I had a serious question for those who are on TFN a bit more than me lately. I was pretty religious about being online and checking the threads often when I was in high school, but the years have past, and now I don't know what's going on. So I was wondering if there was a Sentence-Challenge thread around here, because when I was online last, I really enjoyed being inspired by that one. Do you know who the top-dog in sentence-challenges is now?

~Lures @};-

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Off the top of my head, I can't recall. Might be in one of the stickied master lists or something.

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Hmm... not quite sure about that.

Today is my seven year JC anniversary. I just realized that. Wow. [face_laugh] When I joined, I was in grade nine. Now I'm finishing my fourth year of university. Crazy. 8-}

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    ShadowofLures- Welcome back! There currently is not a first sentence challenge running but there are plenty of other challenges here and in Non-Star Wars Fanfic. :)

Congrats on your anniversary, Idrelle! [:D]

I finally found an apartment! [face_dancing] (For those that know the Boston area, close-ish to Porter Square) It's not perfect but it will work. Now for furniture shopping... Ikea, here I come! :p

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    SithGirl
    Congratz on getting an awesome job and a new truck :D

Idri-happy anniversary :D

I know, right? I think I was in grade 9 when I first joined, too, and now I'm a grad student lol

mav-and now for the move in :p East coast, eh? nice place.

Come on, Ish. I love to see a good video of you playing piano.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My move date is still in limbo. [face_plain] Gotta love housing authorities and their bureaucratic nonsense and being kept out of the loop until the very last minute... At this rate, "second week of February" is looking more like "second week of March."

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks, mav and Sil. :) It's a silly thing to keep track of, but nevertheless, I find it enjoyably amusing. 8-}[:D]

Ugh, that sucks, Trak. :( I hate moving. I considered moving apartments again next year since I'm not in school, but I don't really see the point since the place I'm in right now is nice, if a bit out of the way of the major bus routes, but I can deal. My dad's still convinced he has to move all my stuff back home, but I'm not going home. Just because I'm not in school anymore doesn't mean I'm leaving the city. [face_laugh]

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I keep track too Idrelle, so don't worry! :)

I hate moving as well, but if I don't I think my brother might kill me! LOL! This will be the first apartment I've had completely by myself. I'm so excited to decorate how I want and put things where I want and not have to worry about if something I bought to eat is still there when I get home! :D

Sorry about your moving troubles, Trak... moving is stressful enough as it is. :( [:D]

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, I got a call from the housing authority and they're sending me more paperwork to fill out and they are gonna need me to go in and fill out more paperwork, and determine a move date. I'd rather they determine the move date, rather than me throw out a random date. It's not as if it will take me long to pack my stuff, but the longer I stay, the more stuff I'll accumulate.

And I would simply like some kind of definitive answer, rather than not know anything. Telling my folks over and over "I don't know" when they ask my move date is getting tiring.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Belatedly, happy 7 years, Idri! I was reading your other thread and it is my impression that the 700-page+ fic you were mentioning was the one you said you had to finish before I could release you from your indentured servitude. Or was that another one?

RK_Striker_JK_5 arrives in less than 24 hours. We're planning a horrendous media night (including some old Dr. Who and LOTR animated), he's guest-authoring at my massive collaborative Transformers project and, of course, we're presenting our paper at 10 a.m. on Friday. It'll be a blast.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Have fun, you two. :)

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Spiritofeowyn, Kateydidnt, RK_Striker_JK_5, Dantanaskywalker and I all went for Indian food and now SoE and Striker are debating My Little Pony on my couch. Paper went well.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow, that grouping sounds like a blast from the JC Fanfic past - and what wonderfully fascinating topics of conversation you have! ;) :p Glad to hear that the paper went well! :)

And yes, you are correct in your assumption about the +700 page fic. I've only written one so far, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "that other one"... if another one occurs, my brain will probably implode or something - I can only take so much of +300,000 word epics when playwrighting is teaching me to be concise and to the point 8-} . Since I like to keep my word, I think this means that I'm still in indentured servitude to you. :p

At least in spirit. [:D]

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I've been taught concision, but then I read books that go into very intense detail. That's how I ended up with 365k. Well, that and trying to write a year in the life of the Skywallkers when Darth Vader is still around.

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    It's not so much about avoiding details that add length to a story, it's about avoiding redundancy. I've been a very redundant writer in the past; I'm trying to re-shape a lot of my descriptive habits because most of the time, it's not necessary because the audience gets it. The thing about plays is that you always have write like you assume that the audience is two steps ahead of you; otherwise, the story is going to lag onstage and it's going to be more difficult to give your action an edge.

16. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Okay, who's seen TPM in 3-D and is it worth going to see?

Thx

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Glad the paper went well, Ish. :)

I haven't seen TPM in 3D yet so I have no idea if it's worth it... I've heard mixed reviews on the subject. I plan on going to see it if only because I just want to see Star Wars of any nature in 3D! :)

18. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Don't bother, there was nothing special about it at all. You could hardly tell that it was in 3D. It was blurry, the sound quality was nothing compared to when it first came out in theaters. I remember seeing TPM and the sound was so clear, that the start of the Star Wars theme started with such umph, that it almost startled you. Not this time. The picture quality and the sound quality is better on my Blu-Ray version. It is much more crisper, the sound quality is not ass muffled, and I can watch it any time I want. My theater is even a digital theater with surround sound, but it made no difference, the movie did not make use of it at all.

19. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Was it the movie itself or the theater? I have to say with the two different theaters we have in my town(one a chain-store, the other a family owned local operation) that both are hit and miss in the 3D department. Saw Avatar in the one and the lack of true stadium seating caused me to lose the optical illusion everytime someone moved in front of me plus the sound was poor due to the fact that they converted the space and it wasn't designed for a movie theater. Saw the latest transformers movie at the other one and even though it had a digital projector and high quality sound there were problems with how the 3D looked in a traditional theater. Then there are just poorly made 3D films I have seen in both that left me cringing. I was hoping that Lucasfilm would have worked harder to establish that depth of scene that I appreciated in Avatar and other well done 3D films as opposed to the fling things at the audience ones that hollywood keeps churning out ie every move Nick Cage makes.

20. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Some of it may have been the theatre, but for the most part, my theatre is up to date with all the technology. I saw Phantom Menace at the same theatre the first time it came out, and the experience was much more exciting than this one, but then again, I have all six on Blu-Ray, and the experience on Blu-Ray has been much better than this 3D version. The only awesome of the movie that really took advantage of the 3D was the words scrolling up at the very beginning. That was awesome, other than that, the clarity of the Blu Rays were much more crisper than the 3D. I've never had problems with the before with this theatre. The clips they showed for Titanic 3D was 10 times better. I think Titanic will be a great experience in 3D but, I was not at all impressed with the Phantom Menace, and I liked that movie the most of the prequal series.

21. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Just saw TPM in 3D. It was totally worth it, if only for the nostalgia and remembering how much Star Wars has been an influence on my life. And it was cool to see how much CGI has changed since then- you can tell how old the original movie was, especially from the crowd scenes! Also, podracing in 3D. Possibly the coolest thing ever.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I could have gone to see TPM, but I went to a basketball game. Our team got 70 points and we got free breadsticks from Pizza Hut! :D

I'm really debating on seeing TPM in 3D. On one hand... I feel as if I'm obligated and I'd like to see podracing in 3D. On the other hand... Jake Lloyd can't act his way out of a plastic trash bag. [face_plain] And the tickets are $15 around here for 3D showings. Just for the tickets. I may be a snack smuggler and I save money that way, but a $15 ticket price is deterring.

23. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I have a feeling I might end up writing fanfic again. Tomorrow I head out to an oil rig in the middle of nowhere, where the internet just barely exists. So I'll have tons of spare time to catch up on my NJO re-read and write fanfic. This is indeed going to be a memoir-fodder job...

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, good luck with that. It would be nice to see more of your stuff.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I finally have a move date! I'm moving March 1st! Is that when the forums are gonna move?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.