main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue Jar Jar Cult, now with more cowbell! The Fan Fic Social Thread Shoots Lazers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I haven't seen a date for the move yet. It would be a laugh it it turned out to be 1-April. ;)

2. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Well, I'm at work. Oil rigs are strange places. I'm never again going to take drinkable running water for granted again, and I'm probably never going to not be muddy again. But my job is fun and I have awesome coworkers. And there's some form of internet out here.

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    It's LEAP DAY. Yeah, it's just a number, but a day that comes by only once every 4 years is a strange kind of fun. :D

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I paid my security deposit and saw my new apartment this Leap Day. It's a nice apartment. It has a dishwasher! :D I'm starting to get anxious to move in, but at the same time, I don't wanna leave where I am. That... and I don't have any furniture. Once I get a bed there, I'll move in. I'm not sleeping on the floor. The carpet's not that soft. :p

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Well I finally have internet in my new apartment. I still have very little in the way of furniture; I have a mattress on the floor since the bed I ordered didn't come with all of the parts 8-}, a desk that the previous tenant left and a camping chair. It's a little sad but at least it's my own place!

Congrats on getting the place, Trak!

Glad you like your job SithGirl! So you're on an oil rig??

No, we still don't have a set date for the move other than soon. Sorry! I wish we could give you guys more info but we'd have to have it ourselves before we could give it to you all!

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    A mattress on the floor and a camping chair? Pitch a tent over top of the mattress and you could feel like you're camping indoors. Just don't try to start a campfire.

7. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Yes, if you had a couch you could use the cushions to make a truly epic living room camping tent. But then you may not want the real bed when it comes!

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Your apartment setup sounds like mine! I'm moving tomorrow and all I'll have there is a mattress, a camping chair, and... that's it. :p

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Good to see you all settling in

And an oil rig? Can you tell us more about the work and stay

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I should go camping in my apartment, I totally hadn't thought about that! But it's just not the same without the fire and roasting marshmallows. :(

:p

A word of advice for apartment hunting... ask if the seemingly abandoned building next door is actually abandoned or if it's a Latin dance club that blasts music until 2am. 8-}

I'm actually getting used to it, but the first few nights it happened (mostly on the weekends)I was none too happy.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    apartment hunting again for a more quiet place?

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I lived in an apartment building in California where our neighbor put on the Imperial March at 10 p.m. every night and played the entire John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-99 CD. If I was lucky, I'd drift off around Luke and Leia or Schindler's List. I knew I had insomnia if it rolled around to Duel of the Fates.

13. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    There's a folk band that sometimes gets together and jams next door, but it's usually not too late at night, and it's the kind of music I'll often listen to of my own volition, so if I hear them, I'll usually open the window wider to get the free concert. :p I only wish I knew which apartment it was coming from so I could bring my viola, knock on the door, and ask them if I could join in. :D

Of course, I have sleeping hours like an old person now, since I have to be in bed certainly before 10, and ideally around 8:30 (that's happened exactly once) to be up for work in the morning. [face_beatup] So maybe epic music is going down after I drift off to sleep, and I'm just sleeping through it.

14. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    you have awesome neighbors

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm settled into my apartment. Still needing furniture and a microwave, but I at least have a bed with a broken box spring, a camp chair, and a TV that's not hooked up.

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Rain! There's rain in the forecast!!!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

...I now return you to talk of apartments...

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    If you want rain, I'd send you some from here but it supposed to turn to snow late tonight so I don't know if you want it. :p

It was almost 70 degrees yesterday and it's to snow tonight. 8-} Oh how I love this time of year. :rolleyes:

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It rained last night. Today was mostly windy, and there's no snow or rain in the forecast. :(

Instead, I burnt a bagel, which set off the smoke detectors.

19. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Just to clarify: we've had 14 inches of rain fall total for the season... and our normal is 30. So: rain=good. (The pacific high stuck around due to the El Nino effect, and the Jet Stream didn't drop.)

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    [image=http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/420953_356725497701708_100000927831191_1082851_468804800_n.jpg]

Those of you in the US and Canada, don't forget to turn your clocks forward one hour tonight anyway! (Unless you live in Arizona, Hawaii, or Saskatchewan, you lucky people.)

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Most of my clocks, thankfully, update by themselves. Not sure about the stove clock, though...

22. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Bah, this is the evil daylight savings. :( I've only survived it so far by being sleep-deprived going into it, so going to bed earlier wasn't so hard.

On the bright side, one of my college friends who I haven't seen since graduation is in town! [face_dancing] It's pretty exciting, and it's a good thing she is amused by my sleep-deprived loopiness. :p

23. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    *oozes back to civilization*

Well, I'm finally no longer covered in mud after a few showers and a lot of laundry. Being a field geologist on an oil rig is an awesome job, but not being muddy is kind of impossible. And it sounds like I'm home for about a week before I have to return to the middle of nowhere. Living in a FEMA trailer for a couple of weeks makes me really appreciate the conveniences of modern civilization.

Now that I have a real job, clearly I should go to DragonCon this year! If I'm going to have money and able to schedule time off, might as well have some fun...

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006

In Europe that happens last weekend of march

25. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Ours used to happen in April, but the Energy Bill of 2005 changed DST start and end. Still unhappy about it. Grr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.